• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc recommendations for Newbie & Son

Timeetyo

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Long story short I was visiting family out of state and he had picked up a beginner pack of discs for us to play with at the local park course. So off we went with a small group, 3 real discs, 1 ultimate Frisbee, 1 dog Frisbee, and a random cheapy....and my son had a blast and wants to go again (when it thaws out in NY). I have done a bit of reading and am looking to put together a starter set and was hoping for some advice in disc & weights for us. I figure that I'll pick up ~5ish discs and was hoping to get a good selection. I'm looking for:

- A good starter disc for an 8 year old (LHBH). I figure he'll want to stick with 1 disc for now until he gets some form (he was horrible...but had a blast which is what matters). Something easy to throw and make some progress on.
- A selection for myself. I throw RHBH and have below avg arm strength but usually pick up technical pieces fairly quickly. I used to be decent with an ultimate Frisbee many moons ago. Preferably something good to start and learn on as well as 1 disc that stretches me a bit to give feedback as I start to improve.
- A random disc or 2 for my wife or other random folks with no experience what so ever to join along and have fun. Just something super easy to throw.

So - given this criteria - what discs and weights would you recommend?

Thanks.

I like MVP a lot so I'll reccomend some MVP stuff. Basically every brand has discs you will like, but I would go with the MVP Tangent for a Midrange, an Anode as a Putter and maybe an Amp as a Driver for you. Take weights around 170-172 maybe. For your son there should be lighter Tangents out there, I have one that is 166 g and my little cousin (10 years old) throws some 150' with it. So as I said, that's what I would take as I'm a little MVP biased :)

Many sporting goods stores offer beginner packs of discs by Discraft and Innova (the 2 biggest manufacturers in the market) which are designed to help newbies and sons ( or wives and daughters) :D :D . These are a good starting place as they have lightweight, stable (straight flying), easy to throw discs with a putter, midrange and driver included. Your background in Ultimate may be a mixed blessing as the overstability of many golf discs will require some "un-learning" of technique for long drives. For short shots and putts your Ultimate background will be very useful.

the starter ser set work well but if you don't want to go that way I would pick up a mid range or slow fair way driver and a putter for each of you. a shark, buzz , cobra are some good choices and then what ever putter feels the best in your hand, look for 150 disc for your son. I have a 10 year old son and he plays most rounds with a 147 eclipse, 145 roc and a 157 wizard.