• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Repair

RussMB

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
0416101243.jpg

Okay, I just bought this disc and it landed on a rock. It does turn over now. lol But I'm thinking that a gash like this will only get worse. Any repair tips?

Oh, I've got a champ leopard, (This is Dx Leopard) My local course has Dx's for 6 bucks, so I like to keep a Dx of my good plastics for whenever I play a risky hole. I ain't losin the good discs! ;) I didn't know if there was something I could do, like a hair dryer, lighter, etc... I may try the hair dryer bit.

yup, "CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY' heat up with a lighter and form it back like hot wax

be careful, too hot and you'll have an unfix able mess

Some of my friends keep emery boards in their bags (like a nail file) for sanding off burs and rough spots. I have never repaired a gash like the one on your disc but like aggiediscer said try a lighter or torch of some kind and melt the gash together. If worst comes to worst then you ruined a DX disc so no big deal either way. If it was me I would just keep throwing it the way it is.

Water disc!!!!! lol

i have a really nice heat gun, it'll work on road rash, but not good for a cut

just wave a flame back and forth, use thumb or lighter to smoothe the cut back together

And some burnt ass fingers...You will look like a heroin user who got into the cotton candy.

I use a lighter to repair all the dings in my discs. I'm not a fan of sandpapering disc damage away as that method removes the most plastic and weight. I find the best method for me is to touch the flame on the damaged area for just a second or two and then use my finger to smooth the area out. I sometimes get my finger wet so the hot plastic doesn't stick to me. Repeat briefly touching the flame to the disc and smoothing-out until you achieve the desired result. The trick is just to heat and not burn the plastic with the lighter as the smoke is toxic and smells bad.

it shouldn't get hot enough to burn fingers, you just want to warm up the plastic, not melt it into a gel

Thanks for the help, I took a hair dryer to it first. Just to loosen it up to and close the gap. It worked nicely. then I took a candle and, like MotoDj said, just kept slowly waving it over it. still got a slit in it, but at least it's not a gash any more. It might look a little boogered up, but a hits as it breaks in should balance that that out nicely. I'll post a pic

0416101333.jpg

Not to bad for a first time. :thmbup:

They make plastic welding kits. I used one to piece my four wheeler fenders back together, easy and works very well. Seems like it should work on a disc as well.

Emery Board Question

What I know about emery boards would fly thru the eye of a needle. Is there a specific style, grit, brand that anyone recommends?

skip the emery board and go with scotch brite pads. use a pair of nail clippers to trim off any excess.

Latest posts