• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc skips

I was practicing putting at a basket before a tournament, a friend of mine walked up to the tee for that basket and yelled down for me to get out of the way. I turned, faced him with the basket 10 feet to my right, folded my arms and said "I ain't moving".

He threw a Phenix that hit 5 feet in front of me and skipped right into the chains. I had a front row seat. :clap:

I had a disc skip off of water about 10ft from dry land and make it, but 200ft. is a haul. It seemed like the water took most of the power out of the drive, but it had already gone about 200ft. and was a bad throw in general so that likely factored in.

200' skips are possible but not sure how water would affect the skip. Hole #13 at Veterans Park(Lexington, KY) I threw a terrible shot in an ice bowl last (2011) year and hit the ground about 60'-70' in front of the Teepad. The hole is about 300' long with a slight turn to the right and downhill, I like to throw the hole very low but got too low on this occasion. The disc hit the ground and skipped out of sight around the turn. When we rounded the turn we could see my disc about 10' from the pin, crazy distance on skips are possible.

5 Skip aces
Riney B #5, Veterans Park #6, Boone Woods (old #17), Banklick(Lincoln Ridge) #12 & Rotary #17.
The one at Rotary hit about 70'-80' short and way right of the basket and skipped in.

OMG! Thats a huge skip at first when I read it I thought it was going to hit the ground and end up in the water lol but that is so awesome!

There is a hole that I have thrown down plenty of times and it skips off the same tiny hill 50 feet in front of me. The disc then flies at least 150 feet with a perfect S and turns out good about every time. Not even kidding.

Me too.

The Innova Xcaliber in champion plastic is the best I've found for making long skip shots around a corner. You tell that thing to jump, and it asks how high?
my only two aces were skip aces both with a cfr destroyer. i feel the same way about my destroyers those things have super skips.

I have had a pro candy firebird hit water 60 feet from shore and skip three times off water to get me safe. This was during a tourney that actually snowed. Pure luck.

I was spotting on Hole 5 at the USDGC and watched a guy skip a disc out near the middle of the lake (awful shot) and it skip, skip, skip, skipped onto the green.

I had already put the red flag up when I saw it going for the water... had to switch it up to green.
DSCJNKY

I don't believe the story because according to your profile you have been playing disc golf for -0.1 years. Which means you haven't started yet therefore that throw never happened. :p

hey sorry about that I apparently messed up the date:doh:

I don't do it personally, but in tournaments at riverside I see people play skip shots off the water all the time. Especially on the peninsula hole.

Hole 17 at Zobel Park in the long position is a BIGG LHBH dogleg. From the short tee (i played from there) it's about 200-250 feet, downhill, then it cuts hard to the right for about another 150-200 feet. I tried to throw a skip on this hole and it looked great, like it would be in a good spot for a deuce. But from the tee i could not tell i went a tad long and i spent 20 minutes looking for my Predator in the completely wrong place. I found it tho...and took a 5 :( as it took 2 shots to get back on the fairway. I did find a p.o.s. Lighting disc that im gonna use for over water shots and stuff so it wasnt all bad. haha

Thumbed my 150 class Flick off the water at the Flyboy meetup. It was on hole 5 second round. I had a late release and it panned ever so slowly and the flight plate hit the water and it just skipped up right onto the bank. Forget who all was on my card, but I know BennetUA was there.

... I was damn lucky I didn't lose my baby :)

I had this happen to me once, at VDC in Scottsdale, on the first hole.
Threw a Destroyer LHFH line drive toward the basket, it flex'd out over the lake then came back, hit the water just short of the grass, but because it hit dead flat, it skipped back up left onto the fairway.

I wouldnt believe it could happen if I didnt see it myself. A 200' skip carry sounds a little like embellishment though.
Video confirmation would be nice, or maybe you could do a powerpoint presentation, with graphs and stuff.

I have seen that happen at vista on hole one a number of times, i like to call it a Jesus shot.

I've had what was probably a good 275 foot skip before. It was on hole 1 at lincoln ridge park, which is 335 feet, but it's downhill so it plays more like 250-275. I skipped it off the road about 50 feet in front of the teepad, and sank the putt for a deuce. The best thing is, my Z Buzzz barely had a scratch on it. :D

I have a total of 3 skip aces. The best was at Bryant Lake Park Hole 17, the cliff hole. The long basket was out because they where working on the hole. I was throwing to the short basket. You are at least 50-100' above the hole and the short basket is over 500' away. I threw a 168g Z Surge, I thought I threw it way too low and too flipped to come back. It hooked up 5' above the ground and it hit the ground 20-30' in front of the basket, faded to the left a bit and nailed the chains dead center and stayed. I threw over a bunch of recs that where way back on the hole looking for discs in the weeds and there where 3 groups on the pad that let me play through watching. It was awesome.

You gotta go way up over those trees on the right side. I throw RHFH and go up over the top around the bend. Thats a really fun hole though. I have yet to pull a 2, but have had a few shots at it. Not quite as fun as 18 though :)
Hole 17 at Zobel Park in the long position is a BIGG LHBH dogleg. From the short tee (i played from there) it's about 200-250 feet, downhill, then it cuts hard to the right for about another 150-200 feet. I tried to throw a skip on this hole and it looked great, like it would be in a good spot for a deuce. But from the tee i could not tell i went a tad long and i spent 20 minutes looking for my Predator in the completely wrong place. I found it tho...and took a 5 :( as it took 2 shots to get back on the fairway. I did find a p.o.s. Lighting disc that im gonna use for over water shots and stuff so it wasnt all bad. haha