• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc stuck in tree.

So a T.D. can selectively choose what rules to play by? Like forget 803.08. today and we'll play under your lie with no penalties?

Just that one. I think they're in the process of phasing the penalty out completely. Others can be tweaked with the consent of the PDGA.

Have you read the rulebook? A lot of your questions can be answered just by doing that.

So a T.D. can selectively choose what rules to play by? Like forget 803.08. today and we'll play under your lie with no penalties?

At least the rules that specifically state that the TD may designate whether the penalty is in effect, or not.

KEEP THE TWO METER RULE!!!

I have played in only one tournament where it was not in effect, 7 where it was. I was glad the rule was not in effect for the one because it saved me on at least one occasion. At the same time to not have the rule takes away penalty for getting it stuck up there in the first place, heck I may as well aim for the trees on certain holes. I like the penalty for being up there otherwise there are holes where getting your disc stuck in a tree is a good play.

Random Interesting Fact: The best putt I have ever made I skipped off the trunk of a tree and in, that was fun.

Are there any more like that?

None that come to mind.

Not at least playing rules; I guess you could argue things like offering divisions would fall in this category: All divisions are offered unless a TD, in advance, restricts which divisions he will offer.

Background info: The 2-meter rule was in effect for many years, and hotly debated during that time. The argument against it was that it involves too much luck; 2 people hit a tree, 1 falls out, 1 doesn't, 1 player gets penalized, 1 doesn't. So it was made optional, and a TD can put it in effect, or not, or put it in effect for only certain objects (for example, a picnic shelter roof, or a particular tree over a basket to discourage people from deliberately aiming for the tree).

I grew up with it and have mixed feelings. But I've been to a number of tournaments where the TD put it up for a vote at the player's meeting, and in each case it was overwhelmingly decided that it would not be in effect. At least around here, the 2-meter rule is unpopular and now rarely used.

Two things:1) thanks midnightbiker- always wondered why.2) how does the three minute rule play in here? Would you get a 2 stroke penalty or is 3 min. only when you can't find your disc?