• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] disc weights

Every Innova disc I have weighs 2 grams more than the listed weight. Most of my other discs are around 1-2 grams heavier than advertised.

I've weighed a bunch of my discs before and while some were off most are spot on to what's listed. The ones that are off have been both heavier and lighter than the claimed weights. I think your scale is off, especially considering that from what you've said the deviation is pretty consistent.

Ted did no such thing,he threw out the term adsorb. My understanding of that term is that it occurs only on the surface of the material acting as the adsorbant. Seems as though that would hardly be enough water molecules to change the weight of a disc by even a fraction of a gram. What's your understanding of the term "adsorbtion"? I'm always eager to learn from anyone who knows more than I do. At what point after the molding process do discs absorb weight? How do they do that? Ted says adsorb, you say absorb. Are you both correct?

ab·sorb
transitive verb \əb-ˈsȯrb, -ˈzȯrb\

: to take in (something, such as a liquid) in a natural or gradual way

: to draw in (heat, light, energy, etc.)

: to learn (something)

Adsorption is different than absorption. Although Ted's post does say aBsorb.

Unrelated; here is chart for Nylon (polyamide) that has moisture content by weight as the independent variable. Some plastics won't be affected nearly as much (POM for instance). I don't know what discs are made out of.

060214_03.gif

FYI, if you are soaking a disc for only one day to test this, it better be HOT.

ab·sorb
transitive verb \əb-ˈsȯrb, -ˈzȯrb\

: to take in (something, such as a liquid) in a natural or gradual way

: to draw in (heat, light, energy, etc.)

: to learn (something)

Very nice. Doesn't answer my question though. What's your understanding of the term "adsorbtion"? I'm always eager to learn from anyone who knows more than I do. At what point after the molding process do discs absorb weight? How do they do that? Ted says adsorb, you say absorb. Are you both correct?

Adsorption is different than absorption. Although Ted's post does say aBsorb.

Unrelated; here is chart for Nylon (polyamide) that has moisture content by weight as the independent variable. Some plastics won't be affected nearly as much (POM for instance). I don't know what discs are made out of.

060214_03.gif

FYI, if you are soaking a disc for only one day to test this, it better be HOT.

The post I saw by Ted used both words. How many days should The Hammer soak his discs if temperatures are not overly hot?

With room temperature water, 100 hours/four days.

Very nice. Doesn't answer my question though. What's your understanding of the term "adsorbtion"? I'm always eager to learn from anyone who knows more than I do. At what point after the molding process do discs absorb weight? How do they do that? Ted says adsorb, you say absorb. Are you both correct?

You know you can use Google, too.

ad·sorp·tion
noun \ad-ˈsȯrp-shən, -ˈzȯrp-\
Definition of ADSORPTION
: the adhesion in an extremely thin layer of molecules (as of gases, solutes, or liquids) to the surfaces of solid bodies or liquids with which they are in contact

FYI....I'm not the one who doubts this, so I don't really care to spend any of my time doing experiments. Thanks for volunteering me though.

Last edited:

Latest posts