• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fission Insanity--overstable?

Naenae

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I was looking for an understable control driver, saw a lot of love for the Insanity, and really liked the plastic/feel of the Axiom at my local store.

I ended up having a choice between heavy (mid 170's) Proton plastic and very light (low 130's) Fission discs. After discussing expected usage with a rep (who, granted, may have been trying to move one or the other) and getting the feel, I went with the Fission.

For my aging shoulder, the lightness feels really good on the throw so far, but it seems really overstable. My best throws are around 300'. I'm sure that part of the disc behavior could be under-powering, i.e. having perhaps a 7 speed arm throwing a 9 speed disc. Still, the overstability is not at all subtle. No worries--I've already practiced some anhyzer flex shots with it, for which it seems very suitable. I'll keep working on release angle (and arm speed), but there's no hyzer flipping this one for me as new--it will follow a hyzer release to the ground.

Is it the weight? The plastic? My arm?

ive never thrown a 130 insanity but the heavy class usually starts out as minimal turn at 300ft and once it gets a little beat it gets into that nice hyzerflip range

i used to have a 150 interia that was some easy d

personally as i age the lighter discs are moar preferable but they just suck in the wind

The Insanity, in max weight at least, doesn't turn under 300'.

I'd check out some of their slower drivers.

I'm pretty infatuated with the rhythms right now, 7 5 -2 1 . I used 155 inertia for quite a while since it was their first high speed controllable driver available at that low a weight, supposedly it's more stable than an insanity but it really depends on the run.

I had trouble with some of the insanity being too beefy especially with 2 or 3 pp pfn beat in inertia around. the cosmic neutron se insanity were beasts. Almost literally.

The fission rhythm is a solid thrower and at light weights I can get an easy roller.. heavy neutron and its more valkyrie ish. IMO rhythm, inertia, insanity (and some light plasma waves and vanishes) are all fairly interchangeable in about that order of stability.

Latest posts