• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else throwing Terns? Big distance for slow arms?!!

Txmxer has a great point that a high glide US 9 speed (Hatchet as an example) can get you just as much distance as the high speed stuff. There's a whole thread devoted to why high speed US stuff is kinda meh.

That being said High speed stable discs can still be useful for us noodle arms. I really lean on a Lucid Air Trespass (don't pay attention to flight numbers it's closer to a Pro Wraith than Destroyer) if it's windy or I have room for a flex shot. I can barely push it 300 feet but it's consistent on windy days and goes further into a headwind than my Felon.

Oh and to address the original question I had an F2 Star tern that was board flat and tbh it kinda sucked. I'd take a 160ish Pro Shryke over that if you're just looking for distance. No telling where it will land but it will at least go far!

Txmxer has a great point that a high glide US 9 speed (Hatchet as an example) can get you just as much distance as the high speed stuff. There's a whole thread devoted to why high speed US stuff is kinda meh.

That being said High speed stable discs can still be useful for us noodle arms. I really lean on a Lucid Air Trespass (don't pay attention to flight numbers it's closer to a Pro Wraith than Destroyer) if it's windy or I have room for a flex shot. I can barely push it 300 feet but it's consistent on windy days and goes further into a headwind than my Felon.

Oh and to address the original question I had an F2 Star tern that was board flat and tbh it kinda sucked. I'd take a 160ish Pro Shryke over that if you're just looking for distance. No telling where it will land but it will at least go far!
I have a 176g Hatchett. Got it used, very good condition, for $5 at a local bike and discs shop. For me it flies similar to my Leopard Pro, maxes out around 200', but unlike my LP, it usually dumps kind of hard left (fade) at the end, and less consistent than my LP. I bag the LP for when I need a second shot, 125-200', and trying to park it at the basket. Just tonight I starting getting a bit over 200' fairly consistently with a Leopard3, too - before this is was a while since I did that well with it. Maybe I start bagging it for shots similar to the LP, and see how it does. Although, interesting timing that, on my last round throwing 30 discs tonight, my Hatchett went a bit over 200' and was my longest throw that one round. But, 90% of the time my light weight Star Terns (I got 3 now) or Fission Wave go the farthest. Maybe I will look into a lighter weight Hatchett - see if that exists, and how much it costs. Full disclosure - I have a few other light weights discs, but they fail to match up to the Terns or Wave - 2 Beasts, a Wraith, and a 155g Roadrunner. I have 5 light weight Mambas, $6 F2s from Innova, that max out about 220', but I have to hyzer them to avoid flipping over into rollers, and I am way less consistent with them versus Wave (that I max at same distance) or Terns that I max the furthest (usually over 200' and my rare longest is a 245' throw).

Terns are my go-to distance driver in light wind. I just got a glow champ one that was on sale in the Factory Store and it is $$ - even outdrove my 14-year old flippy destroyer.

Is the glow any more overstable than other Terns you've thrown?

Not really at all OS in my experience, but I always go for sub-170g distance drivers. The champ ones sure don't flip as easily but they will ride a nice long stable hyzer. And that post reminds me I lost that destroyer soon after so I need to put glow-boy back in the bag.

BTW, got any old beat-up destroyers??

No sir, sold off any Destroyers I had some time ago.

Though I did just grab a couple from the pro shop for that sweet, sweet free shipping lol