• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slower distance drivers for beginner field work?

Most people would be better served by throwing discs that aren't max weight. It's easier to get one "up to speed" and easier on the body.
Not getting a disc "up to speed" is not a weight question. It is a speed question...throw a fairway driver. I was not discussing max weight anything.

are just some of the things that really should be mastered before consideration of moving to light weight discs to gain a extra handful of feet on your drives. I am NOT sure why anyone is even discussing lightweight discs for beginners.

Right, right you could have been saying not to use 165g compared to 170g instead of 175g. Truly, my assumption was out of bounds. *eyeroll*

Right, right you could have been saying not to use 165g compared to 170g instead of 175g. Truly, my assumption was out of bounds. *eyeroll*
I was pretty clear, in stating my definition of lightweight drivers was sub 160g. I think most "full weight" drivers are considered to be around 170. I am not sure what you are trying to say. If it is your take, that most people should not be throwing 180g discs....I would agree, if limiting your take to drivers [you did not]. I do think most people can find several benefits in throwing max weight mids.

I was responding to the post of yours I quoted not the later one (where yes, you did clarify what you meant so some apologies for the sarcasm).
180g would be illegal for a driver, max weight is 175g. Mids, being wider diameter, can go up to 180g legally. And I didn't limit my take to drivers because I wasn't limiting my take to drivers: most people would be better off throwing discs that aren't maximum weight.

I have found that super lightweight discs work extremely well for a person's very first round and as they learn to throw a disc at all. My family and I use Dino Discs (all sub 135g) when we go for fun to our local course, and getting a flight that can go straight helps tremendously. My wife is happy when she gets 80ft and my 3 year old is lucky for 30ft or so.

With that said, I have found that 165-170g tends to give me best distance for my form now at ~350 ft. Lighter weight tend to just lose momentum and fall out of the sky, and heavier weight do not get up to speed to travel far enough. However for my first 4 years or so I used to swear by a 150g champ teebird, and I used to get 300ft consistently and occasional days at 350ft. Those days I could rarely get any other drivers to work effectively, so it was a bit of a crutch. I had no problem playing courses well though.

this seems off topic to the thread but i really have only noticed differences in flight outside of a 10g difference between discs of the same mold. I have a firebird that is marked 163 and its more stable than any other i have. I have a theory that very OS molds can be even more OS when taking some weight off (because there is less inertia keeping it from fading). However, for field work, its practice. Practice for consistency - you should throw max weight discs as they fly most consistently. I would also add, I've noticed some molds actually prefer to be below the max weight. I have a star sonic penned 177 and it sucks. Too flippy to throw hard, and too heavy to float...

"Having fun is a totally different mind set than being laser focused on getting a better score.
Just one guys opinion ."

For me, and I think many recreational players, having fun and getting better (and a better score) might be a little different, but they go hand in hand. It is not fun sucking, or playing worse. It is fun playing well, and improving over time. That said, playing for fun still matters. Light weight drivers make me better, now. I can throw further. I can throw them with decent control, or I wouldn't use them. I see guys saying over and over, just use putters and mids - improve your form. Well, for me, I would have no fun, and I would quit the game, if I had to only use putters and mids. Regardless what they say, I am using light weight drivers, I am continuously working on better form, I am getting better, and I see no reason to change that. I practice putting a lot, and I enjoy it. I practice drivers a lot, and I enjoy it. I would really struggle, though, to consistently do drills that might make me better, that bore me to tears. I am 54, will never be turning pro, so I will try to improve, study the game, practice, and play, but I will also have fun doing it!

Latest posts