• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slower distance drivers for beginner field work?

The Star Valkyrie is a sneaky good near-driver. They bomb if you hyzer flip them a bit. Not sure I've noticed a ton of difference between the Beast and the Valk in practical play situations.

I do all my fieldwork with a stack of cheap putters, in my case 300 plastic PA-3s. They are $8 apiece on the prodigy store on amazon when you buy a 5pack. If you do fieldwork a lot you will lose discs. Neutral discs are nice because they show you exactly what flight you put onto it. Also they dont fly as far as distance drivers so less walking to retrieve your discs and if you shank them the shank will not be as far. I throw them backhand and forehand and I putt with them too! As well as practicing upshots which you're probably going to use a putter for anyways.
I've lost three in the last four years of pretty consistent field throwing. It happens. Just keep track of the number of discs you are throwing, and do not mess around with it.

I've lost three in the last four years of pretty consistent field throwing. It happens. Just keep track of the number of discs you are throwing, and do not mess around with it.
That is true. I did almost learn the hard way that throwing a big stack can make it easier to forgot one. I have found that 4-5 discs is my sweet spot, where I get enough throws in quickly, while not risking blisters or lost discs that throwing the big stacks rapidly can cause.

That is true. I did almost learn the hard way that throwing a big stack can make it easier to forgot one. I have found that 4-5 discs is my sweet spot, where I get enough throws in quickly, while not risking blisters or lost discs that throwing the big stacks rapidly can cause.
I throw stacks of 20/30/40 at an open practice field. I don't lose them, but surprising how often I end up hunting, even driving my truck back and forth and all around the field, looking for that last 1 or 2 discs hiding in a little hole, an inch taller grass, out along an edge of the field and I forgot, etc.

I throw stacks of 20/30/40 at an open practice field. I don't lose them, but surprising how often I end up hunting, even driving my truck back and forth and all around the field, looking for that last 1 or 2 discs hiding in a little hole, an inch taller grass, out along an edge of the field and I forgot, etc.
I know most of my discs, what they do for me, but I also know at times I am better served throwing fewer discs, so I can study each of them more. Throw them on angles, with different grips, higher or lower, etc. But, I admit, I am an addict - I keep buying more - love trying out new plastic, stuff I haven't thrown before, to see if it helps me get better faster. 4 months playing, and I got a wake up call - I thought I had maybe 80 discs - try over 110!!! Plus, I am buying my biggest addiction again today - Innova F2 Friday. Why this time, besides habit? I just discovered from last Friday, Pro Tern 148g and Pro Valkyrie 149g, brand new, are my longest and nearly straightest discs! I need more, for practice, back ups in case I lose one, or they change from too many tree hits, etc. I try almost every putter made, wanting to make sure I have my favorite before stocking up 10 of it to use in practice. I figure, better I am addicted to buying discs than gambling, smoking, drugs, etc.!!!

I know most of my discs, what they do for me, but I also know at times I am better served throwing fewer discs, so I can study each of them more. Throw them on angles, with different grips, higher or lower, etc. But, I admit, I am an addict - I keep buying more - love trying out new plastic, stuff I haven't thrown before, to see if it helps me get better faster. 4 months playing, and I got a wake up call - I thought I had maybe 80 discs - try over 110!!! Plus, I am buying my biggest addiction again today - Innova F2 Friday. Why this time, besides habit? I just discovered from last Friday, Pro Tern 148g and Pro Valkyrie 149g, brand new, are my longest and nearly straightest discs! I need more, for practice, back ups in case I lose one, or they change from too many tree hits, etc. I try almost every putter made, wanting to make sure I have my favorite before stocking up 10 of it to use in practice. I figure, better I am addicted to buying discs than gambling, smoking, drugs, etc.!!!
Me and a DG buddy traded today - about 7 discs each, both trading ones that are not our favorites, for ones we would like to try. No added spending - we both get to try some new to us plastic. Win, win.

Some of my fav neutral to understable practice discs are X plastic avenger SS, dx teebird, star sidewinder.

DX teebirds go as far as 9 speeds because of massive glide. Fun as heck, and you can do relaxed throws and still get long flight.

But can beat in and get too flippy from tree hits. A couple direct ones can make them wonky understable.

DX eagle loves tree hits and will fly sweeter when you bash it up. Gouges on plastic feel and look gross tho!

X Avenger SS has more high speed turn than sidewinder. I haven't tried ESP plastic, but they're likely closer to a SW.

Star valk is a notch more stable, still a good field work disc

Beasts never flew very far for me.

I throw stacks of 20/30/40 at an open practice field.
Sounds like fun, but that is about 10-30 more discs than I would ever recommend throwing at a time. Not sure it's really an approach which is beneficial to your learning as an overall player either.

Sounds like fun, but that is about 10-30 more discs than I would ever recommend throwing at a time. Not sure it's really an approach which is beneficial to your learning as an overall player either.
It depends on how you do your field work. I've had productive 30 disc sessions. 6 putters to do the warm up round with (where a round is down and back on the field). 6 mids to mix the next round with the putters. Then 10 fairways to mix in with the mids for the next round (usually do 5mid/5fairway round). Then a round of just those fairways. Then a mix of fairways and the 8 distance drivers I brought. And then a round or two of just distance drivers.

Haven't done any field work sessions that big since I trashed my trainer bag though. I should really buy another and carve out some 90-120min sessions again.

I like the multi bag approach to fieldwork, I do 4+ putters and a couple mids before I'm slinging 6 or 8 drivers. Usually all rhythms in different weights haha.

Beasts are really long, I play with an older dude that just nails em 400 like it's nothing. Valk is a solid driver as well...

Mostly I just stopped in to drop some love for the roadrunner, it's a little redundant with a leopard but it's still a nice in-between with a beast. Great workhorse, holds angles and is just fun to throw. BH, FH, OH, rollers... tends to lean less stable but there's some beefy ones too. It's one of the few non gyro that I still have. They are just seriously fun.

Formwise the Comet is king... but this is a driver thread.

... I would also buy the boss, because I would, and have haha. You wanna know, cmon, just a little taste of something fast. That being said 155 fission octane is superior at 300' :D

Last edited:
If the Beast is straight then buy a stack of 10.
pick one disc , the point is master your own form.

if you practice with a stack of identical discs, you eliminate variables and excuses.

i liked the Pro Beast. maybe you can order direct from Innova, F2 can save money.

Star Valkyrie is also very good.

what ever you throw straight . this is your money.

Last edited:
If the Beast is straight then buy a stack of 10.
pick one disc , the point is master your own form.

if you practice with a stack of identical discs, you eliminate variables and excuses.

i liked the Pro Beast. maybe you can order direct from Innova, F2 can save money.

Star Valkyrie is also very good.

what ever you throw straight . this is your money.
I agree. I've got my one driver mold, for the most part. Took trying and comparing dozens of discs for many seasons.

It's popular and I don't have to worry about it going OOP.

I just throw the discs I bag to practice with them, usually with a friend so we are throwing a few of each of ours back and forth. Eliminates so much time retrieving, looking, losing.. Try to throw in increasing stability a few rounds, then work down and you should be hyzer flipping those less stable fairways perfectly.

Hi All. Been playing a few months. I have a Gstar Leopard3, a DX Beast, and a DX Wraith. I can just about hit 300' with the Beast, with a pretty straight flight path that hints at the -2/2 turn/fade rating. Wraith goes the same distance, just with more stability/fade. I can get the Leopard3 out to about 275, on about the same flight path as the Beast. So it seems like my current arm speed is about 9, trying to stretch into 10.

I am looking to pick up a couple more disks to make my pile bigger for field work to work on form (not trying to "buy distance).

My local sporting goods store has (that I like the feel of):

DX and Champion Beasts
Star Roadrunner
Champion Thunderbird
Star Valkyrie
Star Mamba
Westside VIP Bear
Z Heat
Blizzard Boss (I only list this because the light weight is intriguing, but this is still probably "lead us not into temptation" territory)

Seems like one sensible way to go would be to buy a couple more Beasts and keep working them, but that seems boring and at the end of the day I'm left with just more Beasts.

Or I could get a couple similar yet different ones for variety and the potential for ending up with a more useful collection.

Which two would you recommend I add to my pile?
What did you end up getting, and how did it work for you? Do the Innova F2 Friday deal, and you can load up more discs cheaper, and most of the ones you said you like the feel of, are Innova. Just my two cents worth - I find F2 Friday irresistible for trying out more new plastic cheaper! As long as you don't mind the boring look of many discs that are all F2 and little to no art work (my last order did have "Happy Halloween", and some Halloween themed art, on them, which was a nice variation).

The Star Valkyrie is a sneaky good near-driver. They bomb if you hyzer flip them a bit. Not sure I've noticed a ton of difference between the Beast and the Valk in practical play situations.
I have a 150g Valkyrie, and it turns a fair bit, usually fades some at the end, but overall pretty straight lines. I have two light weight Beasts, but they are very floaty and unpredictable - not good enough to bag when I play. But, my favorite light weight distance discs are Terns! Then getting close with Katanas and a Shryke - they go slightly further, but I need to get them a little more reliable.

Ground play, footing, footwork, different tee pads, different baskets, putting, driving, approaching, angles, grip, release, course management, weather, seasonal play, wind, rain, terrain, shoes, gear, rain gear, footwear, etiquette, rules, bags/carts, discs, form, elevation, elevation, at elevation, stability, plastics, hydration, fuel....are just some of the things that really should be mastered before consideration of moving to light weight discs to gain a extra handful of feet on your drives. I am NOT sure why anyone is even discussing lightweight discs for beginners. There are few shortcuts to the mastery of all the above. You want to get better, go play. Get a couple drivers, a handful of mids and a couple putters. You will find, be given and acquire different discs to try. When you do, try them. Fall in love with the game, be amazed at the flight of a disc, get blown away by the ever changing spectacle of nature. I know everyone is different, but no matter who you are, there are NO magic discs or shortcuts to proficiency. Go play disc golf!!

Ground play, footing, footwork, different tee pads, different baskets, putting, driving, approaching, angles, grip, release, course management, weather, seasonal play, wind, rain, terrain, shoes, gear, rain gear, footwear, etiquette, rules, bags/carts, discs, form, elevation, elevation, at elevation, stability, plastics, hydration, fuel....are just some of the things that really should be mastered before consideration of moving to light weight discs to gain a extra handful of feet on your drives. I am NOT sure why anyone is even discussing lightweight discs for beginners. There are few shortcuts to the mastery of all the above. You want to get better, go play. Get a couple drivers, a handful of mids and a couple putters. You will find, be given and acquire different discs to try. When you do, try them. Fall in love with the game, be amazed at the flight of a disc, get blown away by the ever changing spectacle of nature. I know everyone is different, but no matter who you are, there are NO magic discs or shortcuts to proficiency. Go play disc golf!!
I love the game. I am a recreational player - other than a tiny light passing sprinkle, I refuse to play in rain. Of course, here in FL, rain other than a light passing sprinkle generally equals a thunder storm with a downpour. But, I just don't get why so many people think using light weight discs is trying to find some magic short cut, and act like it means a player will automatically quit trying to learn skills, improve form, etc. I use light weight discs, and I probably study, work on technique/form, and play and practice more than almost any other recreational player. I study the game almost every day. I get video of my throws for analysis ever6 week or two, and analyze frame by frame. I am 54, semi-retired, and so I average either playing or practicing more than once a day! I usually play 3 times a week, field practice twice a week, and practice putting 2-4 times a week. Most days I get in a session of something, and I have more days with two sessions than days with none. Light weight discs doesn't mean I want a magic fix, but it does allow me to have a lot more fun playing - enjoy the game more! I can get more distance more easily! Then, as my arm speed increases, I can always trade up to heavier discs if it is justified.

I love the game. I am a recreational player - other than a tiny light passing sprinkle, I refuse to play in rain. Of course, here in FL, rain other than a light passing sprinkle generally equals a thunder storm with a downpour. But, I just don't get why so many people think using light weight discs is trying to find some magic short cut, and act like it means a player will automatically quit trying to learn skills, improve form, etc. I use light weight discs, and I probably study, work on technique/form, and play and practice more than almost any other recreational player. I study the game almost every day. I get video of my throws for analysis ever6 week or two, and analyze frame by frame. I am 54, semi-retired, and so I average either playing or practicing more than once a day! I usually play 3 times a week, field practice twice a week, and practice putting 2-4 times a week. Most days I get in a session of something, and I have more days with two sessions than days with none. Light weight discs doesn't mean I want a magic fix, but it does allow me to have a lot more fun playing - enjoy the game more! I can get more distance more easily! Then, as my arm speed increases, I can always trade up to heavier discs if it is justified.
You seem to contradict yourself with the bolded. I suppose, I will probably never understand the allure of distance, as a newer player. I am guessing it is just a different time. We were laser focused on scoring, form and play. 5 feet of extra distance never produced better scoring. Better putting, approaching and the litany of things I listed, usually did. I continue to believe you are retarding your form development, more than enhancing it, with sub 160 discs. Just one guys opinion.

You seem to contradict yourself with the bolded. I suppose, I will probably never understand the allure of distance, as a newer player. I am guessing it is just a different time. We were laser focused on scoring, form and play. 5 feet of extra distance never produced better scoring. Better putting, approaching and the litany of things I listed, usually did. I continue to believe you are retarding your form development, more than enhancing it, with sub 160 discs. Just one guys opinion.
Having fun is a totally different mind set than being laser focused on getting a better score.
Just one guys opinion.

Latest posts