• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slower distance drivers for beginner field work?

Hi All. Been playing a few months. I have a Gstar Leopard3, a DX Beast, and a DX Wraith. I can just about hit 300' with the Beast, with a pretty straight flight path that hints at the -2/2 turn/fade rating. Wraith goes the same distance, just with more stability/fade. I can get the Leopard3 out to about 275, on about the same flight path as the Beast. So it seems like my current arm speed is about 9, trying to stretch into 10.

I am looking to pick up a couple more disks to make my pile bigger for field work to work on form (not trying to "buy distance).

My local sporting goods store has (that I like the feel of):

DX and Champion Beasts
Star Roadrunner
Champion Thunderbird
Star Valkyrie
Star Mamba
Westside VIP Bear
Z Heat
Blizzard Boss (I only list this because the light weight is intriguing, but this is still probably "lead us not into temptation" territory)

Seems like one sensible way to go would be to buy a couple more Beasts and keep working them, but that seems boring and at the end of the day I'm left with just more Beasts.

Or I could get a couple similar yet different ones for variety and the potential for ending up with a more useful collection.

Which two would you recommend I add to my pile?

It may sound boring, but my advice if you're interested in field work is to try to grab a few of the same disc in the same weight, same plastic, same run.

It can be helpful when you're practicing to take "was it me or the disc" out of your head when you're trying to see what your form is doing.

This isnt gospel, but I've found it to result in more productive sessions personally.

Another thing to consider if you're interested in working on your form and not just working on max distance is to try field work with slower discs - like throwing putters and understable mids.

As I'm sure you're aware, slower, less stable discs will turnover more easily, and that can help you identify Off Axis Torque. OAT causes disc wobble, and in addition to causing the disc to turn over, it causes slower, less accurate throws that dont go as far.

All of that said, field work can be a chore compared to a nice round of DG, so if it's sweetener you're looking for
• Try a low weight bomber like that Blizz Boss (not sure what those runs are like, that might still be pretty stable)
• Pick up something extra pretty with swirls, awesome stamp, sweet dye job, or whatever floats your boat and enjoy watching it fly
• Try new discs to see how they fly and what they can do for you (Roadrunner, Valk, Mamba, Heat are all worth trying IMO. So are the Ice Bear and Thunderbird, but those are likely going to be meathooks right now, meaning their likely to go straight and fade hard.)

TLDR;
Valk and Heat.

if you get an Armor Chameleon or VIP Stag those are both amazing discs to learn with that will stay a similar stability for a long time.

Also fairly long for slower drivers.

Premium plastics like Champion and Star start more stable and retain stability much longer than DX. GStar tends to lose stability faster than Star. I'm guessing a Champion Beast would fly more like your Wraith.

I'd say drop 5-7g off your current weight DX Beast/Wraith and get a Star Leopard3 and Roadrunner/Sidewinder/Valk (pick the one you like the rim and dome profile the best).

I've got a Blizzard Boss, but it's max weight and a complete meat hook.

I'm a fan of Mambas and Beasts in pro plastic. I generally throw max weight, but those might do well in lighter weights. I've tried other plastics, but so far, if it's Innova driver, pro has worked best for me on max distance golf lines. That includes Katanas, Destroyers, Beasts, and Mambas.

I bought some DX light weight Wraiths and Valkyries--it may be me, but they haven't been much use particularly for max distance lines. "they can't handle my power!" Probably just too much OAT on my part. Did use a Valk for FH, but the DX plastic is not durable. Hit a tree or a rock and it might be done for.

The Hatchet is a favorite for slower arms. I've got a buddy I've seen throw it around 350+. He's got a very smooth release.

I'd give the nod to the Z Heat over the Star Valk based on likelihood of flying close to the numbers. VIP Hatchet or Underworld also if they're not in the "hate the feel" category.

And yes, also DX Valk.

I think if you are starting to pump drives out near 300', it is time to start learning angles and different discs. Getting a feeling for the idea of stability and how different discs, do different work. Buy them ALL.....honestly, that is what everyone here, giving you advice, did and would still likely do.

It may sound boring, but my advice if you're interested in field work is to try to grab a few of the same disc in the same weight, same plastic, same run.

It can be helpful when you're practicing to take "was it me or the disc" out of your head when you're trying to see what your form is doing.

Sounds like good advice. And DX Beasts are 2/3 the price of other premium stuff.

This isnt gospel, but I've found it to result in more productive sessions personally.

Another thing to consider if you're interested in working on your form and not just working on max distance is to try field work with slower discs - like throwing putters and understable mids.

Thanks for this nudge as well. I have a trio of light DX Sharks. Maybe I just work with those for a while. On the other hand, I think the Shark mold tends to hide flaws more, i.e. throws with the Shark always seem pretty smooth and the differences in outcome are more subtle. I do have a ESP FLX Buzzz a friend gave me, and I really seem to struggle throwing that - it's heavier and seems much more sensitive to errors, particular nose angle (it's a completely different shape than the Shark).

So maybe, to your point, I'd be better off learning to throw the Buzzz well, and everything else will start to take care of itself? And, following this logic, pick up a couple more Buzzz-ish neutral mids instead of more drivers. They don't have any Buzzzes, but they have a bunch of Comets and Meteors. These would fit the bill, but for some reason those all feel awkward to me. Smaller diameter discs seem more natural. They have a bunch of Maltas, which feel great, but are both more expensive and more stable.

As I'm sure you're aware, slower, less stable discs will turnover more easily, and that can help you identify Off Axis Torque. OAT causes disc wobble, and in addition to causing the disc to turn over, it causes slower, less accurate throws that dont go as far.

All of that said, field work can be a chore compared to a nice round of DG, so if it's sweetener you're looking for
• Try a low weight bomber like that Blizz Boss (not sure what those runs are like, that might still be pretty stable)
• Pick up something extra pretty with swirls, awesome stamp, sweet dye job, or whatever floats your boat and enjoy watching it fly
• Try new discs to see how they fly and what they can do for you (Roadrunner, Valk, Mamba, Heat are all worth trying IMO. So are the Ice Bear and Thunderbird, but those are likely going to be meathooks right now, meaning their likely to go straight and fade hard.)

TLDR;
Valk and Heat.

Thank you for all this!

I'd say drop 5-7g off your current weight DX Beast/Wraith and get a Star Leopard3 and Roadrunner/Sidewinder/Valk (pick the one you like the rim and dome profile the best).

This sounds like good middle ground. When I go back I'll check the weights on the DX Beasts. Maybe not get exactly the same discs, but keep the spread of differences much tighter.

I think if you are starting to pump drives out near 300', it is time to start learning angles and different discs. Getting a feeling for the idea of stability and how different discs, do different work. Buy them ALL.....honestly, that is what everyone here, giving you advice, did and would still likely do.
Yeah, that's the other way to go (vs just getting three more DX Beasts) I was thinking about. Like staying in the same speed realm, but with different flavors.

I guess it comes down to which goal means more to me right now - building up my form or experimenting with how different discs work for me. I was kinda hoping to split the difference, and all the advice here is helpful. Thank you.

My furthest throw has been with a dx Bird, 350 or so, ( damned imperial system ) you really dont need to go above 7 speed even.

If you're getting a stack of Beasts, the innova factory store and specifically the factory 2nds are a great deal. Especially if you get your order $s above the threshold where they apply the discount. It isn't anywhere near as good of a deal if you're just looking for a couple of discs due to shipping cost, but buy enough and they're nearly as cheap as used discs.

When you figure out the disc you want between the Wedge and Shark that might be a good one to use for form cleanup practice.

Speaking of the damned imperial system, I feel like it's a miss that we're not using chains as our standard measurement in disc golf.

my furthest throws are ~6.5 chains, but I havent done that in a while. I'm pretty capped at 6 chains these days.

I do all my fieldwork with a stack of cheap putters, in my case 300 plastic PA-3s. They are $8 apiece on the prodigy store on amazon when you buy a 5pack. If you do fieldwork a lot you will lose discs. Neutral discs are nice because they show you exactly what flight you put onto it. Also they dont fly as far as distance drivers so less walking to retrieve your discs and if you shank them the shank will not be as far. I throw them backhand and forehand and I putt with them too! As well as practicing upshots which you're probably going to use a putter for anyways.

Hi All. Been playing a few months. I have a Gstar Leopard3, a DX Beast, and a DX Wraith. I can just about hit 300' with the Beast, with a pretty straight flight path that hints at the -2/2 turn/fade rating. Wraith goes the same distance, just with more stability/fade. I can get the Leopard3 out to about 275, on about the same flight path as the Beast. So it seems like my current arm speed is about 9, trying to stretch into 10.

I am looking to pick up a couple more disks to make my pile bigger for field work to work on form (not trying to "buy distance).

My local sporting goods store has (that I like the feel of):

DX and Champion Beasts
Star Roadrunner
Champion Thunderbird
Star Valkyrie
Star Mamba
Westside VIP Bear
Z Heat
Blizzard Boss (I only list this because the light weight is intriguing, but this is still probably "lead us not into temptation" territory)

Seems like one sensible way to go would be to buy a couple more Beasts and keep working them, but that seems boring and at the end of the day I'm left with just more Beasts.

Or I could get a couple similar yet different ones for variety and the potential for ending up with a more useful collection.

Which two would you recommend I add to my pile?
Yes, order Innova, but ON FRIDAYS! They have F2 Fridays - order any 3 discs, even can be all $6 F2 DX, and use their code from social media to get the free F2 Friday disc. Today, code is "wraithresurgence" to get a free Star Wraith. That offsets their $6 shipping. Over 5 F2 discs, get 10% off, and over 10 I think even more discount? Over $75 get free shipping too. You can really stretch your dollars this way, on new plastic! Or, buy used discs at a local shop, like PIAS. I have a slower arm than you, and I LOVE throwing light weight F2 Terns. Fun, and you will distance bomb them. I like to get at least 2-3 of my favorites, like Beast for you, for practice, and for if you lose one. Maybe try favorites in multiple plastics. FYI, Beast and Tern are both Innova (F2 Friday)! Mamba is fun, but have to throw hyzer - thrown flat, that huge turn number will probably flip it over into a roller. I am piling up F2 discs - the deal is irresistible! F2s, you can pick your weight, but colors are random. The free disc, Wraith today, they give you whatever weight and color they want, though my experience is most are 170-175g. Good luck, and have fun! Update: I have found, for me, maxing out at 225-245', 145-150g Pro Terns and a Pro Valkyrie are my longest discs, and still pretty straight, too. Yes, I know I have form work to do - that I should be throwing them a lot further than that. Believe me, studying and working on my form/technique constantly. I try to remember every week to have my son video me, so I can actually see what I am doing, and work on fixing it.

Last edited:
Great distance for only a few months! 4 months, and I max out at 225' normal, with a very rare one out to 245'. I got form work to do, and need to impart more speed to my discs, too!

I do all my fieldwork with a stack of cheap putters, in my case 300 plastic PA-3s. They are $8 apiece on the prodigy store on amazon when you buy a 5pack. If you do fieldwork a lot you will lose discs. Neutral discs are nice because they show you exactly what flight you put onto it. Also they dont fly as far as distance drivers so less walking to retrieve your discs and if you shank them the shank will not be as far. I throw them backhand and forehand and I putt with them too! As well as practicing upshots which you're probably going to use a putter for anyways.
It might depend on the person and where you do fieldwork, but I have never lost a disc doing fieldwork. I usually use an open baseball field complex that only has backstops and no outfield fences. It is 400'x500' roughly and completely open.

I sometimes have others using the fields too when I am practicing. Always be respectful and give them enough space. Aim so that a shank or early release does not put others in any danger. Keep in mind that if there are enough people there that you cannot safely throw, either just wait until it is open or come back another day. It is frustrating if this happens, but other users of the park should always be respected. Practicing with putters does make finding space easier, though it is less fun than watching drivers fly far.

Latest posts