• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mambas inconsistent, or just me??!

I know what you mean. I loaded up DX Leopards when that was my best disc, now I don't use them at all. But, having 5 of them to throw at practice probably helped me get better faster, too. Having discs that go far, and are fun to throw, makes me want to play and practice more. Although, yeah, hopefully I eventually outgrow most of them, and hopefully sooner than later. But, at $6 each, buy three on Friday and get a free disc to offset $6 shipping - $24 for four discs is pretty affordable to have fun throwing them, especially if I find another one that I can throw like this one. I am actually heading to my practice field tonight to throw my Mambas, and one light weight Hatchett and Gold Diamond that are pretty flippy, to practice just my hyzer flip to flat discs - see if I can figure out at least one more of these. If I can figure even one more, then for now maybe I don't need to buy more, searching for another Mamba that gets me my best distance. That Diamond might be the answer - I have got good distance with it at times, but it has not been as consistent so far as the one Mamba - maybe just need to figure it out.

Keep checking back on the F2 site for the 145-150g range, likely they'll restock.
I've kept a Star Mamba in the bag for the past 3 1/2 years, and remember trying a DX sometime after that. Wasn't happy with the distance on the DX and not consistent, so goodbye to it. Star Mamba different story, currently in the bag a fresh 161g for the first time today getting some nice turn skip, and fade skip moderately wooded course compact fairways, low level flight. We have about 20 mph wind coming in Friday, to catch those tailwinds out with the 161g, and in with a fresh 148g for the upcoming high wind season. The 148g third wind season will fly on a turn flip.

But it has taken form building going on almost three years. Starting with standstill putters, one-step two years ago, and x-step last year. By the time the wind season arrived last year (20-45 mph last year on at least 20 course visits over 7 months), I had my whip moving, at this time working on a 3-step this year the whip is not there yet, still need more time on the practice field, if the first few holes don't work out 3-step, I'll use the x-step so Friday isn't wasted.

Last year early summer I started flipping my bag over to MVP/Axiom from putter to 11-speed the Star Mamba is the only survivor to remain from what used to be mostly Innova, and consistently my furthest flying disc, but can also be unpredictable, need lots of lateral space. For Friday out with a beat in Fission Wave 153g, in with a fresh Fission Wave 148g for more stability on tailwinds for narrower fairways. Both last year's fission Wave, and Star Mamba 149g all tailwinds. Again, I've spent a lot of time form building to get mostly good results, still some crap throws, and fun! Headwinds and crosswinds, different story 12-14 speeds just about all Innova's heavier 163-172g.
Wow - crazy wind conditions! I am in FL - mostly very little wind. Until hurricanes come, then very big wind, but only for a short time, and I am unlikely to be out there playing DG in a hurricane! I have a 148g and a 149g Fission Wave - I do okay with them - usually bag one, but it could lose it's spot. I had a very tight bag today - squeezing that Mamba in there. Discs gotta earn their spot - let's go!!!

Keep checking back on the F2 site for the 145-150g range, likely they'll restock.
I've kept a Star Mamba in the bag for the past 3 1/2 years, and remember trying a DX sometime after that. Wasn't happy with the distance on the DX and not consistent, so goodbye to it. Star Mamba different story, currently in the bag a fresh 161g for the first time today getting some nice turn skip, and fade skip moderately wooded course compact fairways, low level flight. We have about 20 mph wind coming in Friday, to catch those tailwinds out with the 161g, and in with a fresh 148g for the upcoming high wind season. The 148g third wind season will fly on a turn flip.

But it has taken form building going on almost three years. Starting with standstill putters, one-step two years ago, and x-step last year. By the time the wind season arrived last year (20-45 mph last year on at least 20 course visits over 7 months), I had my whip moving, at this time working on a 3-step this year the whip is not there yet, still need more time on the practice field, if the first few holes don't work out 3-step, I'll use the x-step so Friday isn't wasted.

Last year early summer I started flipping my bag over to MVP/Axiom from putter to 11-speed the Star Mamba is the only survivor to remain from what used to be mostly Innova, and consistently my furthest flying disc, but can also be unpredictable, need lots of lateral space. For Friday out with a beat in Fission Wave 153g, in with a fresh Fission Wave 148g for more stability on tailwinds for narrower fairways. Both last year's fission Wave, and Star Mamba 149g all tailwinds. Again, I've spent a lot of time form building to get mostly good results, still some crap throws, and fun! Headwinds and crosswinds, different story 12-14 speeds just about all Innova's heavier 163-172g. All of my putters thru other 11-speeds 167g-179g.
How far do you throw your Mambas?

PLH - parting line height. I had to look that one up - do a little research. Lol. Just eyeballing them, I can't tell any difference. They all look the same to me. But, next practice field work, I will only take the 5 Mambas, pay closer attention - see if I can figure out how to make some of the others work better for me. Pretty sure one of the two white ones, not sure which, flips up, flat, then flips over into the ground. Guessing with that one, I need to give it more hyzer angle to compensate for it turning harder. See what they do, one by one, see if I have a consistent issue with any of them, and if I can correct it. I am sure I am part of the issue. As I improve, I routinely take 20-30-40 discs to the field and throw them all, and see if I do better with any or all of them (that is how I suddenly 'discovered' this one Mamba jumping out ahead of the pack)! It just went from not even making my bag, to being my new favorite disc - BAM!!! I did get decent new distance at first with one of the other Mambas (when I was maxing at 200') - that plus the $6 F2 DX price is why I bought 4 more - but I was not real consistent with it, and when I got my Terns and Fission Wave they easily beat out all of the Mambas, until now.
Whoops. Should have just typed that out. The general consensus is that when comparing discs of the same mold, weight and plastic, PLH can help guide you to where each individual disc should sit on the stability spectrum (relative to the others in that group). Some people will tell you that PLH is more important than weight, but like most things DG there's no real research to work with.

Since all your mambas seem to have similar plh, that doesn't seem to be the cause of the differences that you are seeing.

It might just be due to small sample size. Do 20 throws with each mamba and see if that one disc still seems like the outlier?

Honestly though (and this very much applies to me too), most amatures are too inconsistent in their throw mechanics to get consistent results.

Whoops. Should have just typed that out. The general consensus is that when comparing discs of the same mold, weight and plastic, PLH can help guide you to where each individual disc should sit on the stability spectrum (relative to the others in that group). Some people will tell you that PLH is more important than weight, but like most things DG there's no real research to work with.

Since all your mambas seem to have similar plh, that doesn't seem to be the cause of the differences that you are seeing.

It might just be due to small sample size. Do 20 throws with each mamba and see if that one disc still seems like the outlier?

Honestly though (and this very much applies to me too), most amatures are too inconsistent in their throw mechanics to get consistent results.
I just did field work with my flippy discs - the 5 Mambas, a Hatchett, and a Gold Diamond. My form is obviously still a work in process… And I did do a little better with the others since I was able to focus on them and see what they were doing. But, yes, that one Mamba flips to flat better, more consistently, and just goes further. I got a few 245' throws with it, a few 225', and a few just over 200'. All of the others combined had a few 230' max, a few 225', many just over 200', and a few under 200'. There is just something about that one - it flies better for me. Seems to fly straighter more easily, cover the distance more easily, glide further, and on my longest throws, hardly even a fade at end - just straight. Maybe somehow it gets more spin - IDK, and if so, IDK how or why. Plus, playing this morning, and my last three practice field sessions, it routinely gets me a few of my 245-250' max, while the other Mambas, three almost the same weight, most bought at same time, all max at 230', and get that max less consistently, and fly straight less consistently. Pretty sure it is not a sample size issue.

At least on Innova site, DX is the only plastic that they have discs in the 145-150g range. It looks like every other plastic starts in weights too heavy for me. Ugh. I have to try just the Mambas at the practice field for a bit - see what exactly I can get out of the other ones I have. I normally throw them with a bunch of other discs, and don't pay quite enough attention to them except to know to throw them on hyzer angle, and notice the one that I was suddenly throwing really well, and wondering why I wasn't able to throw the others nearly as well. Maybe specific ones need more or less hyzer? Other than that, for now, maybe I order a few more F2 DX, only $6 each, and see if I can find another magic flyer. Sadly, I can't even pick 147g - they just sell them as a range, 145-149g. Ugh.
Keep looking. They do turn up at the pro shop, and check other shops as well.
I'm 52, and can get about 350' with a good yank with the main mamba. I really only accessed that distance in the last year, after playing for seven years. My main star one is 164 grams. The scramble mode one is 155. I also have a g-star that is 150. It's an AMAZING stand still disc. forehand flicks, etc.
Older arm to older arm. Get yourself an It.

Upgrade the plastic with f2's of the molds you think you 'outgrew'. Like the Leopard. Or, better. I recommend the IT over the Leopard. More to grab on to. It's what the Leopard 3 wishes it could be. Oh, yeah. Used discs. If you have the patience. Stuff you want WILL turn up
Try it sometime though. Take out your high speed drivers for a couple months. Get a few different weights, and/or plastics to learn the range of flights that mold will provide you, and use just those discs.

You've seen the comments here from players with many years that love DX for some reason.

I find it to be unusable for anything more than fractional power. Something like 50% or less. Lighter weight is even more unpredictable.

For max distance, you want max consistency. One perfect 400' throw isn't going to help a golf round of OB and being buried in the rough.

This is why people play putter only rounds and score similar to the full bag. They aren't playing golf. They are trying to win on every throw.

Now if you are 1040 rated playing for a major, you may have to be that aggressive. But, most mortal courses players benefit from consistency and control.

Keep looking. They do turn up at the pro shop, and check other shops as well.
I'm 52, and can get about 350' with a good yank with the main mamba. I really only accessed that distance in the last year, after playing for seven years. My main star one is 164 grams. The scramble mode one is 155. I also have a g-star that is 150. It's an AMAZING stand still disc. forehand flicks, etc.
Older arm to older arm. Get yourself an It.
I just got an F2 DX IT last week. I don't really like the feel of it - kind of weird rim - narrow but deep? I have thrown it some - goes right on me. I guess it is another one that needs a little bit of hyzer. But, I have a few fairway drivers I like already - Retro Diamonds, Leopard3. Had a Leopard Star that was really straight for me up to about 200', but I grip locked it right into a lake. I don't grip lock often - was really bad timing. But, I got an F2 Leopard Star coming now to replace it - hope it is the same.

Upgrade the plastic with f2's of the molds you think you 'outgrew'. Like the Leopard. Or, better. I recommend the IT over the Leopard. More to grab on to. It's what the Leopard 3 wishes it could be. Oh, yeah. Used discs. If you have the patience. Stuff you want WILL turn up
Try it sometime though. Take out your high speed drivers for a couple months. Get a few different weights, and/or plastics to learn the range of flights that mold will provide you, and use just those discs.
I actually like the Leopard3 okay, and the IT feels weird in my hand. Replacing my Leopard Star that found a lake - an F2 on the way. That LS was very straight for me up to 200'. I love my Diamond Retro Bursts for certain shots - they love to flip to straight if I don't get a perfectly level release - and have great glide - fun to throw.

I look through used stuff all the time - have bought many - especially trying out $5 putters.

In my opinion, as a 52 year old disc golfer who's been playing 5 years, I think a 175g Star Leopard is a better driver to throw than most who throw under 250 feet, than 9-speeds and higher discs. A 6-speed disc and rim is more controllable and you can get easy distance with it. Naturally I recommend throwing putters and mids, but if you're going to throw a driver as a beginner/novice player, something along those lines are fine. I think the lighter weight Diamond's are great, but they're more touchy and require more control.

You've seen the comments here from players with many years that love DX for some reason.

I find it to be unusable for anything more than fractional power. Something like 50% or less. Lighter weight is even more unpredictable.

For max distance, you want max consistency. One perfect 400' throw isn't going to help a golf round of OB and being buried in the rough.

This is why people play putter only rounds and score similar to the full bag. They aren't playing golf. They are trying to win on every throw.

Now if you are 1040 rated playing for a major, you may have to be that aggressive. But, most mortal courses players benefit from consistency and control.
I think DX is fine for some throwing putters, but I still use some form of Pro plastic or better for those, and Star or Champ for midrange and above. I eventually swapped out my last DX disc from my bag - an Aviar for putting - with R-Pro. I just like the grippier plastic, and they catch the chains better, as well as don't skip, bounce, or roll as far. But to start out, I think DX is good to run with to experiment with different molds.

I like Star, and even the little bit of Gstar I have, but not a fan of Champion. I hate the translucent look - the discs can be laying in mowed grass ten feet from me and sometimes I can barely see them. Please, just give me bright colors, easy to find! I bought a used Champion Leopard3, and a used Champion Tee Bird, and neither one flies as good for me as my DX versions. I bought a used Champion Sidewinder, and it just wants to dump left. So, now I avoid buying Champion.

I think DX is fine for some throwing putters, but I still use some form of Pro plastic or better for those, and Star or Champ for midrange and above. I eventually swapped out my last DX disc from my bag - an Aviar for putting - with R-Pro. I just like the grippier plastic, and they catch the chains better, as well as don't skip, bounce, or roll as far. But to start out, I think DX is good to run with to experiment with different molds.
My issue with DX is one errant throw can do so much damage, that the disc is not usable. Whatever a disc does, consistency is critical for play. DX, particularly in light weight, is very inconsistent IMO under load. For low power throws relative to the individual, it may be useful.

BUT, I go back to something Jack N. said about golf—don't change the swing, choke up on the club.

I take that to mean be as consistent as possible in your personal mechanics. Do one thing over and over and make it repeatable. Change the tool to alter the outcome.

I don't think that is an axiom, but still sound guidance. If a disc is inconsistent but provides the occasional miracle, it's probably not going to be part of successful DG rounds.

Sure, they're cheap. I just don't see much point for using dx plastic above midranges. Dings on the rim, etc. I don't like feeling that, and if it's cold, and or damp. It's one of those small irritations that can get in the head, and magnify Same gist with Champion plastic. It's too hard in general, and South of 45ºf, it feels terrible.

Maybe try a more stable disc in pro plastic. Like a pro Orc like around 160-165g. It's going to start out more stable but it should be less prone to flipping over into a roller. After a couple rounds it should break in and the Pro plastic will maintain the sweet spot longer than dx. Trying to throw a really lightweight dx mamba sounds like you would have to have perfect form, wind conditions, and height.