• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] discmania FD- jackal ...its coming

So are some Discmania discs embossed? What does that distinction mean?
It just means that the mold name is stamped (embossed) into the plastic. They used to write the mold names and weights in the factory, now they're embossed. Yes some DM molds are embossed and I assume that anything Innova molds would be embossed.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

It's a way to determine how old a disc is. They started embossing the name about a couple of years ago

How old is your S line? I haven't thrown the newest run of max weight S lines, but in my experience the Luster is less stable than S line.

My S line is less than a year old. It's one of my favorite discs, although it fades a bit more than I'd like at the end. That's why I bought the FD Luster to try.

SIDEBAR: I've been putting the lights out with a P2 Luster. It floats so well; I'm almost never short. But in cold weather it becomes a brick. Putting with the new P2 Soft for the winter.

I grabbed a pair of Luster Gibson Leopard3s to try and they just made me sad for the way the Luster FDs turned out. They are flat, firm, and stable. I still like the FD's rim better, but I may bag the Leo3 on windy days.

Out of the four Luster FDs I bought, I got one flattish one. I'll just be thankful I got a decent one and hope they turn out better when/if they run them in Luster again.

I don't know why everyone expected the luster ones to come out flat and OS. That's not typical for any FD.

Luster isn't even consistently OS compared to champion.

I don't know why everyone expected the luster ones to come out flat and OS. That's not typical for any FD.

Luster isn't even consistently OS compared to champion.
I always thought a general rule of thumb was Luster is more OS than Champ across the board. My Luster FD is money though.

I bag an earlier, flatter run Luster FD that is my workhorse FD. It's not OS per say, but it resists turn well and finishes reliably... just a solid, stable flier.

So I've only ever flat topped a gator that had an awkward dome to it but I've been considering attempting it with one of my new lusters. Is this a terrible idea or what? I want some input before I do something drastic to a disc that I have no issues with just want it to have a different feel than the others.

So I've only ever flat topped a gator that had an awkward dome to it but I've been considering attempting it with one of my new lusters. Is this a terrible idea or what? I want some input before I do something drastic to a disc that I have no issues with just want it to have a different feel than the others.
Sounds like a terrible idea to me. That being said, I have no problem with the shape of the new run. I don't think you're going to change the flight characteristics and obviously you assume at least minor risk of not getting what you want and having a wonky as heck disc.

I say go for it! I don't have a problem with domey discs at all, however I do wish these were a little flatter. I think it boils down to them being a little stiffer plastic combined with the big dome, they don't feel super comfortable at least for me. It could also be that it's winter and I'm not having the easiest time getting a good grip on these. What's the worst that could happen?

I have no issues whatsoever with the mild dome that FDs seem to have. It might be the cabin fever getting to me, but I wouldn't mind one of the lusters I have being flatter than my CG nightstrikes. Just might happen over one of these nasty cold days we're about to have. 😳

I have no issues whatsoever with the mild dome that FDs seem to have. It might be the cabin fever getting to me, but I wouldn't mind one of the lusters I have being flatter than my CG nightstrikes. Just might happen over one of these nasty cold days we're about to have. 😳

Let us know how it works out if you do.

I bought a c-line FD 174g awhile back. It's kind of overstable and not really neutral. I'm hoping it will break in. I have to really gun it to get it to go. Plastic is pretty slippery too.

Sounds like you're not satisfied with it, I say go for it. Maybe use some slightly cooler water (just sub-boiling) and not a ton of weight.

Latest posts