• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Factory Store

I would've loved to get some more Halloween Buzzz for my store but they "sold out" quickly to dealers. Now they're available in the factory store

^this sort of thing is pretty raw. I get it from a business standpoint, but don't cannibalize your dealers.

Better vote for Bernie!

I'm all about supporting local businesses, (I just paid $20/lb for FairTrade organic coffee!) but offering advice on how a manufacturer should run their company for the benefit of others is asinine.

And until Discraft has the sales and portfolio of a company like Ford, opening an online store is NOTHING like that attempted metaphor, unless you have Discraft's financial statements and there's a big number followed by a bunch of zeros.

If this hurts your brick and mortar, I'm very sorry, but 1000s if not millions of entrepreneurs fail every year.

but don't cannibalize your dealers.

The Innova Factory Store has been up for awhile now and they have way more clout in this game than Discraft does. How many disc dealers have gone out of business due to that?

The Innova Factory Store has been up for awhile now and they have way more clout in this game than Discraft does. How many disc dealers have gone out of business due to that?

I don't think that's 100% cool either. But I understand why both do it.

Honestly this is the kind of things that stink; I asked my dealer friend to see if he could get some misprint Firebirds and Rocs for me to dye. He says( and I checked too) that they are out of stock online.

But go to the factory store and they hate high qtys.

I like te idea of selling short run weirdness and tour series there. But I it's open to dealers you should sell it instead of holding stock, hoping to sell it at a higher margin direct.

They aren't putting people out of business, but it ticks them off.

That guy now orders way more from DD who have an online presence, but if they show stock online they will sell it to him.

I think there is plenty of room in the market for another Factory Store, and I doubt that many retailers will be impacted at all by Discraft's new online portal. I buy nearly all of my plastic online (limited local options, better prices & selection online, etc.) and most of my bag is Innova/Discmania, but very little of it has come from either of those Factory Stores.

That said, if I could order 5 orange 177+ Buzzz SS misprints I would in a heartbeat. But because I can't specify any closer than "bright colors" and I am one of the weirdos that likes specific colors, I will continue to send money to DiscGolfCenter, CommunityDiscs and MarshallStreet.

hmmm, they found Magenta FLX Z Wasps with the stock z stamp?
at least my yellows and greens are safe :)

They're just freeing up warehouse space. They've been selling the misprints and LE disc on their site for years. The new additions are basically building a hype for their new factory store. I doubt it's gonna hurt their retailers that much.

MVP did a cool thing for us twice this year. MVP let TeamFam members shop INSIDE the warehouse! Got to go through thousands of discs :) Only catch, you had to put your discs off to the side and place order through the vendors. They wouldn't directly sell them off the warehouse racks. They didn't want to cut off their vendors sales. Nice work to keep everyone happy. This was just a rare case though. They, like Innova and Discraft and others, usually don't open their factories/warehouses to the public. Mostly just a perk of being on the Team.

Playing disc through the aisles was pretty sweet too

I think the Factory Store model is cool for the goofy boutique items and collectibles because it gives EVERYONE a fair shot at acquiring unique discs, not just people who know someone, are buddies with the owner of their local brick and mortar, etc.

fair or not, I have bought discs from the Innova store that I normally would NOT have bought locally, and I just ordered the 10 pack of misprint Z line discs for $50 just because it is too good a deal for me to pass up. I would not have taken that $50 and spent it on a few specific discs locally anyways and will still continue to support my local disc golf stores and dealers when I can. I think both can, and will exists just fine. Disc golf is still growing.

Interesting how they do the color choices. If they had a Blue/Pink option I'd go for that. Maybe tomorrow they'll do an FLX pack?

I don't throw a specific brand, I throw what is best for my style. I carry DD, Innova. Discraft, Latitude 64 and more. I will continue to buy from online retailers. I buy alot of my discs used so they are cheaper though.

Factory stores are an awesome way to get your hands on rare and bizarre discs. Discraft needs to get with the Innova program and start releasing some unique mold/plastic combos. Something like a Z Focus. Or, do limited runs of OOP goodness, Z Reaper comes to mind.

If the "brick and mortar" stores we are talking about are Dick's I would rather give my money straight to Discraft. I see how it sucks for actual disc golf stores though.

I feel like the demographic for brick and mortar and the demographic for the 'factory store' really don't overlap that much.

Nice to see Discraft FINALLY doing this. Although it feels about ~2 years late.

My best guess is that Discraft was somewhat surprised by the success of the Ledgestone disc sales.
The Ledgestone discs were available in combinations of plastics and molds that you couldn't get anywhere else, ever.
I now have a bunch of Ti Comets and even a CryZtal FLX Ringer, thanks to Ledgstone.
Maybe they have a few left over...
BTW, for the other Ringer fanatics out there, a few more CryZtal FLX Ringers still out there on ebay...

I hear what you are saying about cannibalizing Brick&Mortar stores, but I have gone to the Innova Pro shop for things I couldn't get anywhere else for any price - like 11 x-out Champ FB's in identical weight and color, or other wierd orders.
I think that there's a place for Discraft in that market, too.

Latest posts