• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft throwers, Comet or Buzz SS

It really is going to depend on what you want out of the disc. The comet is a line-shaping disc, but is a touch sensitive if your form is not clean. If your form is clean, its an incredibly useful disc. The buzzz ss is much more forgiving and, like the marketing says, feels like a seasoned buzzz. It's fast and a touch flippy, but will still fade back at the end.

Had both disc's and not really a fan of either! esp comet was great from about 150 ft nice straight line, any farther and I would just turn it over. Buzz ss was a nice straight disc but my esp buzz seemed to have alot more glide. Have you ever tried lat64 core? Its a nice disc!

Thanks for the replies, a lot of good responses. The questions clearly states a straight thrower that is like a buzz without the fade on the end and almost a longer version of a putter. will pick up both and report back on the comparison of both. seems the buzz ss answers the question but the comet would be a good disc, throw a fuse and it seems like the comet will be a bit more stable version of this.

and thanks dkoz on the core suggestion, love lat64 and will try a friends core to see how that works! and whoever else said esp buzz, thank you!

Comet requires a lot of finesse. although a z comet can be ripped and will glide forever!!! have not thrown the SS.
Ditto the part about Z-Comet: Throw with OAT or otherwise release poorly... crash & burn as stated above...hence people say it's good for teaching "proper" technique.

Ditto the part about Buzzz SS: never thrown one.

I use a 150 Z-Storm for what I think a Buzzz SS might be like... fits between my ESP Buzzz and Z-Comet.

Merged before Prerubing. :)

if you have not thrown the comet much (or at all) then get an elite X comet. the Z ones are way more stable even once they get worn in. The X breaks in very quick and has superior glide. Trust me.

Then why not just get an opto fuse?

I've been trying the comet but for some reason it just doesn't feel right in my hand with the bead and very concave bottom edge. I'm going to try out a Stingray and a Meteor. Who knows I may end up with the minimalist approach and just work more on the Buzzz SS.

a Buzzz SS seems redundent. a Buzzz is already super straight, if you make it more understable you have created a meteor.

Dude, a Buzzz SS is nothing at all like a Meteor. That's like saying a Buzzz and a Comet are the same thing because they're both straight.

The Comet Rocks.

Personally, I've always thrown a Comet, or an Innova Roc, and I find the Comet to be much more versatile. You can put it on any line, and it does just what you tell it to do. The Buzzz SS has the same stability rating as the Comet, so it probably works almost exactly the same, but with a different grip. I think this is why there are so many types of Drivers out there, but not as many different midranges. They all work in a similar way. I've always wanted to get my hands on a Drone, to try something more overstable, but hey, if the comet works, why try to fix something that isn't broken? When it comes to drivers, try everything, but for mids and putters, I think you can find one or two that work and your set for life!

The Comet is in my opinion a "finesse" disc. When thrown properly, it can be amazing and achieve awesome throws. The down side is that if there is any error in your form, the Comet will let you know it. The Buzzz SS is more of a bull. Its more forgiving, and you can really put some mustard on it, and launch it. The Meteor is somewhere in the middle. I like to throw hard with reckless abandon, so the Buzzz SS is better for me. They are all fine discs, and have their uses.

As always, these are my personal experiences. Others may have completely different results!

I throw comets now - 3 in the bag - ESP, Z, X - I love them as I love almost all Discraft mids. It did take me awhile to get comfortable throwing it though, but once you do it's money. It will hold anny lines and hyzer lines and doesn't need to be thrown hard + it will DEF. help with your form. over last winter I played with nothing but a Z Comet and FLX Challenger and once spring rolled around I found my form was cleaner, my distances increased, and my accuracy increased.

The Z Buzzz SS is a great disc and can definitely find a place in the bag next to the Buzzz.
Basically it can accomplish all the duties of the buzzz, you just don't have to throw it as hard.
Which can be very valuable in trouble situations. For me, when given full power, the ss will hyzer flip and fade to the right, or can start and finish perfectly straight with finesse.
The SS also has more distance potential then the regular buzzz, and it is similar to the meteor in looks and feel, but is slower and less touchy with or without wind.

My Comet is a little more beat in and I can anhyzer it like a champ. My Buzz SS is a little inconsistent at the moment. All things considered I am more confident in the Comet and would suggest that disc to anyone.

Latest posts