• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft website changes

Keith H

Eagle Member
I may have missed another thread on this -

I often look at different manufacturers websites.

The Discraft one is changed from what I can see.

I understand the redesign, everyone has to do that to stay relevant.

I also understand they OOP a lot of discs this spring.

But it now looks to me like I can buy direct from Discraft in any of the current discs, with $50 being free shipping.

Am I reading this right?

If Discraft is going direct to the customer, what about all of the retailers?

Aimforthechains had a lot to say about that in a previous thread. Yes, DC's website has been new for about 2 years. Seems to me like it's mainly a way to get rid of misprints and OOP discs, but they sell some other collectibles too.

The prices are pretty much what I would expect from any retailer. So if they are enforcing a MAP policy, it looks like they are adhering to it on most pieces themselves.

If they were selling Z three packs for $18(which I think is around their small order dealer cost I would be more alarmed, but if a B2B company is going to do b2C this isn't the worst case of alienating a retailer I've seen.

What I am seeing starting yesterday though seems even more direct.

Perhaps I am using the wrong website, but Discraft.Com seems like I can buy any disc I want. Not just misprints or three packs.

Looks like I am just buying factory direct.

Well, here's that original thread: Discraft Factory Store

Lots of talk regarding retail in general and how suppliers should not undercut their retail outlets... overall, I believe the thought is that DC realized they were missing out on an opportunity like Innova had with their online Pro Shop.

EDIT: yeah, I hadn't seen the new site.

Last edited:
Aimforthechains had a lot to say about that in a previous thread. Yes, DC's website has been new for about 2 years. Seems to me like it's mainly a way to get rid of misprints and OOP discs, but they sell some other collectibles too.

That was the old Discraft Factory Store, now their main site has been updated and has some slight changes from the Factory Store. Less focus on collectibles with more focus on individual discs.

Edit: posted this right before your edit. :)

Part of me says the business model makes sense, but part of me hates what it does to retailers if this is really direct to the customer.

I don't think I will use it, mainly because you can only pick light or dark. I love blue discs (dark) but green, brown or black would be awful. Similarly I like yellow, orange and white (light) but couldn't see a red disc unless I tripped on it - lol

I will continue to shop retailers that show me a pic of the disc. I do very little buying in person because there are few options for buying what I want near me. I check the local retailers but am perhaps too picky.

Maybe this is why we have seen such a drop in sales for Discraft. I always assumed that they were just not keeping up with the times and they werent pushing their products anymore. But from a retailer point of view, we hardly sell any discraft. The occasional Buzzz and thats pretty much it.

As a dealer, I hate direct competition from the manufacturers. In my opinion, it completely undermines the whole point of having dealers. That being said, I understand why they are doing it. Their disc golf sales have dropped significantly over the years. They're trying to freshen up a little with the new drivers, though. I have sold more Thrashers, Machetes, and Undertakers in the last year, than all of their other drivers combined in the last 4 years. As long as their prices aren't undercutting the dealer MAP, then it shouldn't be too big of an issue since you can't pick your exact disc.

Discraft, Innova, Trilogy, and MVP all have prices (at least right now) at, or higher than, dealer MAP. I will probably never be a dealer again for any company that undercuts their dealers on a constant basis, such as Grip, Gateway, and Legacy.

I know they are doing the factory store and working to keep it from undercutting retailers and such

Interesting enough, Innova used to use regional distributers. John Houck was the Southwest distributer and did well from it. Changes in retail and online marketing meant that Innova could go more directly to their retailers and customers. It put John out of business. Changes in delivery are the norm. DC isn't trying to be mean, they are simply moving with the times.

Working to keep from undercutting dealers, but this email is kind of off putting to me as a dealer.

"No more hoping that your local retailer has the exact model and weight that you're looking for."

That just speaks, "Don't wait until your retailer gets their next order in. Skip them, and go through us."

I know it's not meant to be that way, but dang.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    82.4 KB · Views: 35
Working to keep from undercutting dealers, but this email is kind of off putting to me as a dealer.

"No more hoping that your local retailer has the exact model and weight that you're looking for."

That just speaks, "Don't wait until your retailer gets their next order in. Skip them, and go through us."

I know it's not meant to be that way, but dang.

The concepts you're talking about is more of a shift in customer behavior from retail buying to online shopping. Notice I said retail buying and online shopping... When people needed something, they used to go to the store, look at their options at that store, and pick from their inventory.

Now that there is such an abundance of information available online, over 60% of buying decisions are being made before the customer even contacts the vendor. Nowadays, people can search for their exact weight, color, plastic, and mold from the comfort of their living room, no need to worry about store hours, driving there, or having to go to another store if the vendor is sold out... I can search the entire web for exactly what I want during commercial breaks during my favorite shows.

Retail stores tend to do better with the "I want it now" buyers and the "I don't know what I'm looking for, I just want to shop" buyers. Unfortunately for them, I think most (disc golf) buyers either know what they want or are already online researching options, so it is easy to just buy online...

There are so many manufacturers, plastics, molds, etc. these days, it would be almost impossible for a retailer to keep inventory levels where they need to be to drive customer satisfaction and stay profitable, dealing with massive amounts of dead inventory month over month.

I have joked around that if I were looking for a retirement gig, I'd open a liquor store on a disc golf course and focus a majority of the inventory towards immediate, individual consumption (think 24 oz cans over 30-packs). I would consider stocking disc golf merchandise to appeal to the walk-in traffic. But, the expectation is that those SKUs would be loss leaders (regarding GM%) month over month. Even though disc golf is played year-round in many parts of the country, it is still a highly seasonal activity by most and thus would not be a good business plan to open a store that focuses solely on seasonal business...

I guess the point is that I don't mind Discraft going direct to consumer sales...

Last edited:
Weird a business is finding a way that benefits them the most in our capitalistic market?

My closest brick and mortar is 40-60 minutes away, so online is my best option. I'll still continue to only buy from retailers that show me the disc I'm purchasing (or one that matches the exact color).

B, please.
It's obvious. You can stop now.

It's like they actually want to make $$$ or something.

Wait you mean by supporting outlets which could potentially move 100x the product you can in-house?

Yeah they love to make $ the small timr way which is sad for one of the previously said to be "dominant" players in thr DG biz.

Sounds more like desperate vs good business. If anything you would price product above dealers at the least. For example no one will buy a basket from MVP direct if they do any shopping around at all.

This is very simple business. Cutting out the retailers does no good for anyone who loves or supports DG. There is no incentive to stock DC products really.

Latest posts