• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Discs for learning RHBH snap

bopApocalypse

I've dropped the BH drive from my normal games since I've realized that my technique is severely lacking and can get much better distance from a FH drive.

BUT -

I'm still working on my BH throw.

Is there any particular disc I should be using to practice? Any discs I should avoid?

putters, stable mids, low speed drivers. I am in the same position, but I am actually getting my fairway drivers out to 300. Not consistently, but that is where they are

putters, stable mids, low speed drivers. I am in the same position, but I am actually getting my fairway drivers out to 300. Not consistently, but that is where they are

must be nice. outside of the occasional throw where I manage to snap the disc, I'm throwing everything about 150. :(

I'm in the exact same position as you. Tried playing back hand, struggled reaching 200ft consistently, switched to forehand and it went much better (I pitched sidearm baseball through high school, it felt much more natural). I grabbed a Discraft Comet (ESP), went out into a field and chucked it about 15-20 times a day backhand. After a week I'd added about 30-40 feet consistently to my drives (I'm averaging about 235ft backhand, but am much more accurate throwing forehand up to around 300ft with my Discraft XL).

Those are the kind of discs I would recommend, DX Aviar or two, X Comet, Leopard or JLS if you want a quick list of specific ones.

must be nice. outside of the occasional throw where I manage to snap the disc, I'm throwing everything about 150. :(

If you're only getting everything to 150, I wouldn't worry as much about disc selection as working on technique first. The Technique section has lots of great info, and you can even post of vid of you throwing to have others critique your form.

Everyone loves the Comet but I found I had a hard time releasing it cleanly. A bead always feels weird to me. I prefer a shallower rim. The disc that feels best for me, and that I'm most consistent with rhbh is a Pinnacle Rival.

If you're only getting everything to 150, I wouldn't worry as much about disc selection as working on technique first.

Agree 99%. I've been doing some right pec drill & "pounding the hammer" work, just not enough to really nail anything down, other than I can feel when I do things right, I can feel when I don't, but I've not been able to consciously affect the result.

That 1% - I know (now) that some of my discs are simply not suitable for me at this point. I just want to understand what discs [or types of discs, although even FH I don't throw anything consistently enough to really understand what 'stable' means outside of the numbers on somebody's ratings] I should be throwing to see the best results.

I appreciate all the responses!

If Comet doesn't work, try a Fuse. Same flight path for the most part, just different feel. I carry two and love them and recommend them to anyone wanting to learn. With that said though, the Comet is what taught me how to throw.

If Comet doesn't work, try a Fuse. Same flight path for the most part, just different feel. I carry two and love them and recommend them to anyone wanting to learn. With that said though, the Comet is what taught me how to throw.

That's probably good advice - I have a Fuse in Test Material, and it is a touchy disc that will soar when you nail it. Throw with OAT or nose up or any other problem, and it isn't pretty.

Don't worry Apocalypse, it's not the end of the world. And remember, great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion. Just keep throwing your putter until you can hit 250' every time. It will come in handy in the future.

A few people suggested that throwing a river could help w/ form b/c she is a fickle bitch and really only responds when thrown well. I can't say this is true b/c my backhand is still crap but it is getting better and I have been throwing alot more river.

That's probably good advice - I have a Fuse in Test Material, and it is a touchy disc that will soar when you nail it. Throw with OAT or nose up or any other problem, and it isn't pretty.

thats funny, i just posted in the fuse thread about this, right before i read this

I personally recomend starting with a Discraft Magnet to learn snap. Stand about 150' away from a basket and only using your thumb and index finger, do standing shots towards the target. It is all about trial and error with this shot because the disc will not fly unless you give it proper snap and hyzer. Once you have that down, then you can start working on snap with mids, then drivers and so on and so forth. I recommend using a Discraft Comet for people who are working on learning BH.

Latest posts