• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs with a woman's name...

How do you feel about discs with women's names on them?

• I don't care, it's not a factor.

Votes: 252 86.9%
  • I'm more inclined to buy/throw a "girl's disc."

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • I refuse to buy/throw a "girl's disc."

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • I'm less inclined to buy/throw a "guy's disc."

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I refuse to buy/throw a "guy's disc."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm less inclined to buy/throw a "girl's disc."

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • I'm more inclined to buy/throw a "guy's disc."

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
I think there is going to be a stark contrast in what a new player will buy versus someone who has played the game for awhile. We could probably all agree a large percentage of disc golfers are casuals and couldn't even name a touring pro (sorry, Paul). They are hitting up their local sporting goods store when they throw their trusty boss in the lake to find a replacement.

This is what I don't know how to weigh. The large # of casuals who don't buy a lot of discs (and don't know pro's, and they likely would be far less inclined to buy a girl's disc...not that casual players are sexist but I know when I was uninformed about discs/models why would I blindly buy the girl's one?) vs. the smaller number of "hooked" players who buy stacks of discs every year.

I've got a Sandstrom signature-stamped star Valk on my shelf with a story...when I was lucky enough to meet and play a round with JK, I asked her to sign it with a Sharpie. She said it was the first time a Valk had both their signatures. Incidentally this was after she stopped playing regularly, and she still crushed legit 350-ft controlled hyzers during the round and made it look effortless. Impressive athletic ability.

At one time I did buy a JK champ Valk but i gave up on it because i didn't feel I could throw it as well as the star. Signature wasn't an issue.

Last edited:
That accuracy includes putting, and so sorry to say, a lot of even the best women DG players aren't so hot with their putters.

That I bet is more of a product of the field being so small. I've played a few tournaments with Ohn Scoggins and she's an absolute beast with a putter. She regularly smashes circle two putts. I've even seen her ace a CTP with a putter in front of about 60-70 pretty serious golfers.

https://youtu.be/LQS4Gkro4iU?t=9m43s

I threw a 5x JK Valk for quite a while, it was fly dye btw. Sigs don't affect me any. I HAVE heard that discs with women's sigs on them sell less, though.

I am also of the "Think Pink" and shiny stamp variety. I could care less about someones name on a disc. I once won a pro autographed disc in a raffle, then promptly sold it on ebay.

Polls like these are all well and good, but will not show a true stigma if it exists. Debates of this nature are typically one-sided here due to the sample population.

i voted "doesn't matter" because it does not matter to me. at one point i was in the disc business however and from my experience there i can say there is (was) definitely a segment of players to whom it mattered.

That I bet is more of a product of the field being so small. I've played a few tournaments with Ohn Scoggins and she's an absolute beast with a putter. She regularly smashes circle two putts. I've even seen her ace a CTP with a putter in front of about 60-70 pretty serious golfers.

Dunno if it's field size. There are (pro) men that are good putters and men that are bad putters; there are some good (pro) women putters out there, and some women that need range time. From what I've seen of Ohn Scoggins on videos, she's okay with the putter. Cat is very good. Paige Pierce will get better when she gets more confident in her putting and putter (IMHO).

I have a few JK Aviars that I use for shortish approaches, but I putt with R-Pros. I also have a PP Stalker that I like, but its dark bronze, so only good for park courses.

I'd much prefer to throw a disc with a signature female champions name on it vs. pink discs, any day.
I can't conceive of going to Stub, Buxton, Hornings, McCormick or Bryant [to name a few] without at least one hot mint pink driver.

I will be the honest one and say less likely to buy girls signature discs.
I would imagine no one is surprised by this.

Disc golfers: want pink discs just not with a cursive font lady name on it!!!

Ive never really cared one way or the other. I assumed if a disc had a pros name on it the mold must be OK.

Still trying to get my CS sig valk out to 700' (keeps taking 2 throws i think it is broke)

Given the level of outrage over support for female disc golfers, I'm wondering if a better poll would be to determine how many people buying specific tour and pro-support discs are equally buying male and female pro discs.
How many tour discs have you purchased? Are they all to support male golfers? Are they all to support female golfers? Is it split evenly or unevenly?
I'm guessing a lot of those expressing outrage in other threads jump in on McPro Aviars and Sexton Firebirds and never bothered to order Val's Starfire or a Des Firebird.
Exempting SD86, of course. He's stated many times he perfectly supports female disc golfers.

Given the level of outrage over support for female disc golfers, I'm wondering if a better poll would be to determine how many people buying specific tour and pro-support discs are equally buying male and female pro discs.
How many tour discs have you purchased? Are they all to support male golfers? Are they all to support female golfers? Is it split evenly or unevenly?
I'm guessing a lot of those expressing outrage in other threads jump in on McPro Aviars and Sexton Firebirds and never bothered to order Val's Starfire or a Des Firebird.
Exempting SD86, of course. He's stated many times he perfectly supports female disc golfers.

Make it so.

Disc golfers: want pink discs just not with a cursive font lady name on it!!!
Yup; I'd be thrilled if every disc ITB was white or pink. White for the inking, pink for visibility in the heavily wooded courses I play.
Ive never really cared one way or the other. I assumed if a disc had a pros name on it the mold must be OK.
Faulty logic IMO. I think Feldberg took the Boss because he knew it would sell well. I think you might be right more often than not but I'd hesitate to make this a blanket statement. I'd love to see a signature Groove and watch the DG world get Rick Rolled LOL

Still trying to get my CS sig valk out to 700' (keeps taking 2 throws i think it is broke)
LOL!

As far as buying a disc to see if it fits in the bag goes, I don't care whose name is on it.

For picking up a disc just to support a player, I'm more inclined to pick up a signature disc of one of the ladies. Bought one of Val's Starfires, despite having no use for it, for example.

I voted that I don't care, because I just want the disc I want and don't really care what the stamp looks like. I actually would think it's cool to see female disc golfers recognized the same way the guys are though.

That being said, I do get really annoyed when discs are marketed to "ladies, or new players" ... as though every female plays the same as a male beginner. :wall: Especially if the disc is obnoxiously stamped as THIS IS A GIRL'S DISC!!! Doesn't stop me from owning them, but it is still irritating.

Back in the late 80s, early 90s every woman in our leagues threw a Phantom Lite because, as they said. it was a good ladies disc.
I guess that was before they realized that kind of talk should offend them. :rolleyes:

Back in the late 80s, early 90s every woman in our leagues threw a Phantom Lite because, as they said. it was a good ladies disc.
I guess that was before they realized that kind of talk should offend them. :rolleyes:
In the mid 90's the XD was used by every woman I knew who played becasue they said it was a good "ladies disc". It was shallower so easier to grip with smaller hands and it was less stable so easier for them to spin more like a Frisbee and get a good toss out of it. Not sure if that was offensive to anyone or not.

In the mid 90's the XD was used by every woman I knew who played becasue they said it was a good "ladies disc". It was shallower so easier to grip with smaller hands and it was less stable so easier for them to spin more like a Frisbee and get a good toss out of it. Not sure if that was offensive to anyone or not.

The top female player in our area, also top 10 in the world at the time, Teresa Keith putted with an XD.

Latest posts