• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Diving for discs- do you call the owner?

Are you obligated to call the owner of a disc you find in the water?

• Yes

Votes: 93 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 30.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point and also funny that you got from disc to country in 6 degrees. Can you link a disc to Kevin Bacon now?

And if I find Kevin Bacon in a pond I am definitely not giving it back!

1. I throw all my discs RHBH.
2. I rode an elevator in Chicago, circa '82 with Jay Leno. He was touring the country after his first appearance on SNL. We shook hands. ( his jaw is bigger in person than on TV )
3. Kevin Bacon appeared on the Tonight Show with Leno in Oct. 84. I assume Leno and Bacon shook hands.

I think thats 3 degrees of separation between my discs and Kevin Bacon. :cool:

In both cases someone is taking something that doesn't belong to them without the owner's permission.

Unmarked discs are easier to rationalize as, in most cases, there is no viable way to discern the owner. However those are not the topic of this thread. We're discussing discs marked with the owner's contact information.

If you're out searching for your lost disc and dredge up someone else's, you call them and they say "keep it"... then great, it's yours. But to assume the mere fact that you pulled it out of the water it somehow now belongs to you is a leap over logic and common moral decency.

Perhaps I have been spoiled in my experience so far. My home course has a ton of water and I have had many discs returned to me by other players who've found my discs while searching for their own.

ERic

I'm not saying i wouldn't return the disc, i'm just playing devil's advocate and saying i don't think someone should feel obligated to return a disc they went WAY out of their way for...but if you walk up and find someone's disc that they obviously just forgot to pick up a shot on the fairway, i think its just plain effed up to keep it if it has the owner's info on it, like my champ valk that i loved...

I truly believe in Disc Karma.
I pulled 32 last night and called everyone.
Due to good Karma, only 4 of those have to be returned and will put a few bucks in my pocket.
It's surprising how many people just let you keep the disc.

If it was changed those that didnt feel obligated would certainly keep the discs. Even though they might think they should call, they still may not.

The question should be restarted. "If you found a disc anywhere on a course with a name and number would you attempt to return it to the owner?"

That question is too long anyway- the space to ask a question in a poll is really short, I had to get a little creative just to fit this one in.

I do agree with the conclusion that there is no LEGAL obligation to call, but MORALLY you should. I still think it is about neutral karma to not call for a water disc, but I still will cuz I'm all about good karma.

And if I find Kevin Bacon in a lake I'm only keeping him if he's holding a stereo with no name on it...

about a year ago i was playing at my local course and found a disc with a number that did not work when i called. called every week for a month and never got through. so i feel calling is a must when you find a disc even if you try once.

well today while i was playing the same course a disc that looked like one i had lost flew past me head and landed 50' in front of me. i ran up to it and flipped it over and say most of my name and number still on the bottom. so i picked it up and said "thanks for the call" and walked off with my disc in hand. the gut who threw it said did it hit you is that why you are taking it? told him thanks for the call this is my disc i am the original owner of this disc. wish you would have called me. as i walked off he said don't be such a dick. i cant believe that someone in his shoes would say that.

that wasnt a smart move he could have traded or bought that disc maybe he did call or was told that number was no good its just a disc aint worth a beatin

I would have taken that disc also after pointing my name and number was on it. It's best to remove the ink if you buy a used disc.
If you found it and didn't call, you should expect to have it taken away from you and be listed as a disc thief!

turns out he had my wraith too. said he found them in a field but the day that both discs went missing i did not throw either of them. i text ed him and asked why he didn't call and he said what were the odds of the person that owns it would find it? i said good since this is the second time i have got a disc back from you. my wraith still said USMC Combat Vet, did my service for the country so please do yours and call me back, this was barely visible on my beast. i have only lost 6 discs since i have been playing and this guy had 2 of mine, maybe i should go through his bag and look for my others. he said in a later text that he would no call people because this was too much of a coincidence.

omega c'mon I'm a dick for getting my disc back? think about that.

You Leave It, You Lose It

I am laughing at all the blogs who say there shouldbe no debate. There most certainly IS debate. First, let me distinguish between a disc left on the course or in a basket. I will absolutely call if there is a number on it and if there is only a name I will ask whomever else is on the course if they have lost a disc and happily return it (if they can tell me what they lost). Now, with that out of the way, let me say that discs found in the water are something else entirely. If I throw my disc in the water and decide to leave it there because I don't want to go after it then that disc is fair game for whomever is brave enough or dumb enough to go in and find it. I watched a guy throw his disc into the murkiest, muddiest, stinkiest, nastiest water and say "I'm not going into that sh*t to find it; that's why I threw that disc." and then walk away. As far as I'm concerned, he abandoned his disc. If I am willing to go into that water risking snakes, snapping turtles, crabs, sunken limbs, knee deep mud, and any number of underwater hazards and find his disc then that disc belongs to me even if he has his name and number on it. I love all the "karma" that get's brought up about this subject. I say that by retrieving that disc I have "rescued" it and it deserves a good home; mine. Avid DG'ers claim that this is a sport. Okay, I'll agree with that. Has anyone ever heard of a golf ball hawk? That's the guy who goes into the water and finds golf balls. Check out 'Dirty Jobs' and see what these guys do to find lost balls. If a golf ball has a name on it should they be obliged to contact the owner? I think not! Some of those golf balls are more expensive than any discs I've seen. (Personally, I don't sell any discs I find.) I've lost a few in the water and have been rewarded for going in to find it many times over even if I have don't find the disc I threw in. Good Luck to whomever found my Express. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I would rather it be in your golf bag than at the bottom of a swamp till the end of time.

This thread is too long for to read all of the responses. But I can get the flavor of the majority by the vote tally. I however disagree because of the word "obligated." No one is obligated to call the owner. That said, I don't dive for discs. I do however call 100% of the owners for discs I find in the water, weeds, trees, leaves, bushes... Most get back to their owner. I call once, maybe twice. Its not an obligation, but just seems like the right thing to do. And by that same token I never expect to get a call when I've lost one. But I usually do get called. I'll never charge a ffinders fee, and doubt if I'd pay one. Well maybe $5 if its a particularly good disc. But then I never throw discs I can't afford to lose. And almost every disc is replaceable.

Just my $.02.

I return discs in hopes that people will return mine . i also write reward if found on some of my nicer discs and will throw someone a another frisbee for returning it. i had someone return a CE leopard one time :D i ended up giving the guy a vibram putter

No way, I jumped in the stanking a** creek and got "your" discs out. If you leave it, it's not yours anymore (especially in water). However, if i don't like the discs i have fished out, i give them to my FRIENDS or NOOBS for FREE.

I found 4 discs playing a course along a river this week. Earlier in the week I shanked a brand new Wraith in the river that I had just bought, and not inked yet. The river was moving way to fast (and cold) to try and get it.
So I came back on a muddy day with my rubber boots, which let me get at least a couple feet deep. Found 4, two with #s. Called both. One guy told me to keep it, no call from the other...
So I lost one, but gained 4.
Karma, y'all.

Search the countless other threads for the answers on this question. Legally speaking, it falls under the realm of lost property. Possession of and failure to return said property is technically theft. Justify it to yourself however you'd like, but this dead horse has been beaten long and hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.