• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Diving for discs- do you call the owner?

Are you obligated to call the owner of a disc you find in the water?

• Yes

Votes: 93 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 30.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kerplunk

Double Eagle Member
I always make every attempt to return marked discs that I find on the course, but I wonder if people think that this rule holds true for discs that you "dive" for. My personal feeling is that losing a disc in the water is way different than losing it in weeds or woods, because you knew the risk was high when you threw it with the water in play. Thus, I don't think that there is an obligation to call for discs that you find in the water, but if I am in the minority about this maybe I will change my mind. Any thoughts?

BTW, not an issue yet, but I figure if I get a wetsuit and go diving on a warm day I might hit a gold mine:)

Wetsuit? Thats hardcore.

I'd say I generally call the owner of a disc, but it depends on the disc. If its a brand-new flydied champ eagle, I'll call several times, because you KNOW its somebody's baby, and they are missing that disc. On the other hand, an old DX disc beat to smithereens, I'll call once and then throw it in my car trunk and probably forget about it. Also, OOP discs, or ones w custom stamps, Ill call several times, since their owners def want them back.

My reasoning is, most the time I reach someone about one of their lost discs, they just say Oh well, you go ahead and keep it, I live too far away to drive out there and get it back. Unless its a custom stamped, dyed, or premium disc, most ppl just replace the disc and forget about it. Its still worth calling, tho, just to ease your guilt if nobody returns your call and the disc ends up in your bag.

I might charge a dollar or two for the inconvenience, but if there's a name or number on the disc, I'd be obligated to call.

Any disc that you find, no matter where, if it has a name/number on it you should call.

This should not be a debate. Add a poll to your thread here and see how people vote.

ERic

I call 3 times, no matter what. If no response after that, then it's mine. But I really make an effort to get found discs back to their owners. It's a part of the DG culture that I like. That said, if I were to go diving for discs, I'd still return 'em, but I'd accompany delivery with my best Bill Murray in Caddyshack: "How 'bout a little something for the effort?" Who knows, perhaps someday _I'll_ have Universal Enlightenment banked for my death bed.

I found a beat DX Valkerie at my home course. Called the guy and he was stoked like it was his favorite disc or something. We keep missing each other, its a pain in the ass. I've had his disc for like 2 months. :( I should have just left it.....But yeah, always call! there should be no debate

If you're diving, that's pretty involved & you should get something in return for your efforts. I would expect a buck or two or maybe a cold beverage at the local pub as a reward for your efforts. As stated here before, if you call them they'll probably not want the disc back or the phone number is no longer in service, etc. So you'll get to keep most of the discs anyway. I'd like to search the lake at Winthrop Gold after a USDGC long distance drive contest!

if its not an ace disc or a tournament disc or someone you knows disc or maybe a tye dye then dont call them those disc are yours if someone sees you playin with one and says something take an even trade but if you dont want to trade its your disc do what you want , and any you return they owe you something some kill,a couple brews , descent trade. maybe not money but something now if you wait till they leave and jump in there then thats a different story thats disc jacking

Finder's keepers, looser's weepers is not a good moral standard to live by. It's a justification for stealing. Definitely call.

I always...

Call twice... But if no reply after a week or so I consider the disc mine and go on... It still amazes me how many people don't mark their disc's...

Josh

This is an interesting twist...I am one that would always call. I am also one who will not wade into the water unless the disc is on the edge or close enough to where I can see it. If I throw one in the drink, it's gone. Again, if I find one with info I would call, but the odds of me pulling one out of the water are pretty slim considering I rarely venture forth. If I throw one into the water on my home course and I see some guy playing with it a few weeks later, I'd go up to him and tell him congrats on the find and I hope it brings him more luck than it brought me.

On a side note, at one of our local courses there are a group of about 5 middle school kids who sit around a small pond. (15 feet in diameter...not really even a pond) Anyway, if someone throws a disc in, they jump at it like a swarm of pirhanas. This happened to me once and I made them give it back. They weren't too happy but we need to train the younger generation better than we have. Otherwise when we are older, writing info on the back will be useless because the young ones typically have the mindset of "I found it, it's mine!" Just a thought on the future of our society and their general personality.

After losing plenty of discs throughout my time playing with plenty of water hazards, I know I appreciated it when people actually put forth an effort.

I always call/e-mail now, realizing how much I use some of my discs.

when you throw in water, you know it is in there, you just make the choice to leave it cause u dont wanna get wet. you can just as easily get in there and root around til you find it just like the guy who actually does. i dont think you should have to call, although it does reflect nicely when you do. and if you get a call about a lost disc, especially if it was in the water, you better offer a reward for the finder. i search for discs all the time, and i do call the owners just because i choose to, but my opinion stands that the finder should not feel obligated to call. if you find one laying on the fairway my opinion changes entirely. everyone is entitled to their opinion or interpritation of others opinions. some may think im an ass, but thats just how i feel. i do call though because even though i dont feel i have to, i do think it is the nice thing to do

At Claystone Park in Macon, GA the lake levels are lowered s once a year so the home owners can do any needed repairs to their docks or water walls. Literally hundreds of discs were found by locals, park staff and home owners. Many discs did not have names on them and these were the discs that were considered the prizes of the scavengers. If the discs had a name on them they were either directly returned to the owner or turned into the Ranger Station/ Pro shop. I am sure that out of the many discs with names and numbers returned there might have been a few not returned, but everyone in our community did what was right. I found about 4 discs and returned them all. I also had 4 of my old discs come back to me in the process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts