• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Diving for discs- do you call the owner?

Are you obligated to call the owner of a disc you find in the water?

• Yes

Votes: 93 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 30.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I found a disc on the viewing deck of the Sears Tower, I would call. If I found a disc buried in the soil while digging up a new garden in back yard of my new house, I would call. If the waitress at my local bar gave me a "free" disc with my first drink and it had a number on it - I would call.

It doesn't matter where you find it, you should call. It's not a "have to" situation for you oppositional-defiant folks out there, it's just the right thing to do. Discs have history and attachment to many of their throwers - it's not about the seven or eleven or twenty bucks - it's about the history. Call it courtesy, call it karma, call it what ever you want...just call.

on a side note--about how much does a disc cost from play it again? are they reasonable prices for a used disc?

They buy them for like 3 or 4 and sell them for 8 to 10 is my experience.

My local play it again is outrageous ... the charge a flat rate of $15 for any disc any plastic. Not to bad for a star disc but outrageous for a DX disc

If the disc has a name and a number, I call as many times as I think is reasonable. It amazes me the number of times I don't get a call back or someone just tells me to keep it.

If someone finds one of mine, it will cost them:

A round of disc golf with me and they can have up to 2 beers out of my cooler (well, they can have a few more if they've got a really nice set of boobers, LOL). Seriously, they can have up to 2 beers cuz I ain't going to put anyone drunk out on the road.

I guess I have a couple of weird habits. I'll carry someonelse's disc in my bag for a while, waiting for a call back, but never throw it. I have my discs in my bag set up in a certain order and having that extra disc or two just bugs me after a while. I can't throw 'em cuz they ain't mine. Weird, huh?

After a week or two and no return call, I'll give the found disc to one of my friends or if I see some young kids without many discs, I'll give it to them.

I'm got two discs in my bag right now that belong to other people. Does anyone know Jon Alvarez (150g camo dyed Flick) or Matt Braun (172g Champion Monarch)?

Woodpecker

Last edited:

My local play it again is outrageous ... the charge a flat rate of $15 for any disc any plastic. Not to bad for a star disc but outrageous for a DX disc

i can see paying 8-10 for a good used one but yeah 15 is a bit much for every single used disc, especially if they sell the ones with other's names all over them

You can find some real good deals. I have seen alot of newer champ and star plastic for 7-8 dollars. Ive also seen some plastic that looks like its been thru a wood chipper for the same price, so its hit and miss.

My Play it Again near Cincinnati (Mason, OH)

First off 98% of the discs are new. Not everything in this store is used.

$15 for Star / Champ plastic

$8 for new DX and used higher class plastic

I love the guys who go out there with a rake and waiters searching for discs... I've even heard that some people go scuba diving in a lake in south Florida to get discs. I guess they're in it for the profit. On my local course if you throw a disc in the water and wait to get it after your 18 it will most likely be gone. It's great everyone here would make the call but I think it's pretty rare in the real world.

My Play it Again near Cincinnati (Mason, OH)
First off 98% of the discs are new. Not everything in this store is used.
Ditto for the PiA in Sugar Land, TX. Not much DX stock, Pro is $12, Champ is $15 and Star is $17 IIRC.

ERic

Any disc that you find, no matter where, if it has a name/number on it you should call.

This should not be a debate. Add a poll to your thread here and see how people vote.

ERic

I agree with this 100%. In most cases if people take the time to write info on their disc that means they would like to hear something back no matter where it was lost at. Call 2-3 times over a period of time and if you hear nothing back it's yours.

on a side note--about how much does a disc cost from play it again? are they reasonable prices for a used disc?

It sounds like the decision is made locally or by the store manager, but in my experience they give a discount for used discs, depending on the condition. Most of the discs at the store I'm familiar with are new, with a couple of handfuls of foundlings throw in.

It's great everyone here would make the call but I think it's pretty rare in the real world.

^^ I have never had anyone call me with one of my lost discs either. So I agree that it seems to be rare. It wont be rare here however as noone is going to make a post saying "Naw Id keep it"

I have never had anyone call me with one of my lost discs either.

I've had at least 25 losts discs returned to me over the past year.

So I agree that it seems to be rare. It wont be rare here however as noone is going to make a post saying "Naw Id keep it"

Except this one:

if its not an ace disc or a tournament disc or someone you knows disc or maybe a tye dye then dont call them those disc are yours if someone sees you playin with one and says something take an even trade but if you dont want to trade its your disc do what you want , and any you return they owe you something some kill,a couple brews , descent trade. maybe not money but something now if you wait till they leave and jump in there then thats a different story thats disc jacking

I have found 10 discs since I started playing in August, only one had a name/number on it... I called, left a message with my name/number and letting the guy know that I found his new Star Wraith... I have not heard back from him, and now have a nice new disc...

I've had at least 25 losts discs returned to me over the past year.:

:eek: I couldnt afford to play disc golf if I lost that many discs.

if its not an ace disc or a tournament disc or someone you knows disc or maybe a tye dye then dont call them those disc are yours if someone sees you playin with one and says something take an even trade but if you dont want to trade its your disc do what you want , and any you return they owe you something some kill,a couple brews , descent trade. maybe not money but something now if you wait till they leave and jump in there then thats a different story thats disc jacking.:

I stand corrected^^

my local play-it-again buys them for $2 and sells them for $6. i'm always surprised there arent' more on craigslist

There are some good deals on Craig's List if you check around. I bought a pack of discs on Craigs list from someone who could not play anymore because of health problems. I got 17 discs for $30.

Karma says always call (at least a couple times) but let's get real here. There are no laws on the books saying that if you put your name on a disc it makes it legally yours. If you have a sales reciept, then maybe you can go after someone who intentionally steals your disc. But petty theft? We're not talking about someone coming up & stealing a disc out of your bag or car. I doubt the local police would go after the guy who found my lost disc in a pond & now won't give it back.
Personal property? Once I lose a disc, it's gone. It is no longer mine. If I do get it back, I consider it lucky. If it's my "special" disc then I am even more grateful. I don't consider it a legal obligation to the finder, but a moral one. Some people want to be nice & will call & make every effort to return a found disc. Others may not so considerate, but they are not breaking any laws.
**I believe this is the big confusion here. People get all attached to a disc & emotions take over. "It's mine. Give it back". Wah. As Omega stated: bottom line, it's a piece of plastic. This is a small detail. Don't sweat the small details. Buy a new disc. Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts