• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Diving for discs- do you call the owner?

Are you obligated to call the owner of a disc you find in the water?

• Yes

Votes: 93 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 30.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either make the effort to call, or at the very least turn it in to the lost and found, whether it be a ranger station at the park, or your local club's lost and found. I have actually had this discussion with a so called pro.I maintained that since I bought and paid for the disc, I had the right to get it back.I would glady offer something in return; a few $$, cold beer, a different disc ect. This jerk actually stood there and tried to quote "Florida salvage rights when it comes to finding things in public waters" Needless to say I wasn't the only one who rolled his eyes, shook his head and told him "your a @#$%#@ idiot" Give the owner a chance.

Here's a question. I found a beat up Eagle with 3 (yes I said 3!) names on it. There in no particular order just random. My first thoughts are that this disc is some sort of "traveling pants" thing. I guess I'm eventually suppose to lose it and someone else finds it and continues the legacy. What to do think? Continue the legacy? Call a number? If I call, which one?

MONDO

Do whatever would clear you of having the knowledge of what a "traveling pants" thing would be :)

I lost a disc in a swamp while practicing near my house. I told my buddies about it and said if you want it there it is, I even showed it to them. I am not going to get it, because I've already replaced it.
If I lose a disc and don't find it, I will consider it lost and gone forever, even though I do have name and number on all of them, and if someone does call me on one they find, I will tell them to keep it and enjoy. If I find one that is marked I will call, if no mark I will enjoy.
Just thinkning about this...If I lose my own disc, oh well, but if my brother-in-law (who is using some of my beginner discs) loses any, he better buy me a replacement one, even though I don't, and won't use those disc anymore. Is this wrong????

just found 10 discs off #2 at mozola in h-town only one with name a dx eagle i left it in a pile with the other 4 crap discs, kept 2 tie dye wraiths,x-calibur ,jls, valkrie. all those discs had former owners so did i steal those should i have given another year till the water went down for them to come back for them. there is no difference from a disc with no name or one with name and email once you get in your car and leave you no longer have a right to that disc. just so you know i wasnt diving i saw several discs while i l was looking for mine, if you right your number on a quality disc ill call and leave it somewhere but im not going to meet a stranger

there is no difference from a disc with no name or one with name and email once you get in your car and leave you no longer have a right to that disc.

I hope I find your plastic on a course marked with your name, phone # address, e-mail, social security #, and mothers maiden name. I will gladly walk it over to the nearest plastic recycling bin and toss it in. You obviously have no "sportsmanship", or respect for others who play the game.When I find someones disc, I NEVER EVER THINK, hhhmmm they left the course without it they don't want it.Your logic is B.S.!!!!! How do you know that person did not spend an hour or more trying to find it? It's about respect for other players. You have shown you have none. Do us all a favor and quit playing ,before you pollute others with your selfish views.Can't wait to recycle your discs. Think Green!!!!

if your to lazy to climb a tree or find a stick or to good to get wet and smelly why should someone who puts in the work just give you your disc back remember people we are talkin about water discs not layin in the fairway. ive lost just as many as ive found but ive returned 15x what ive got back so i quit writing my number down, i love finding discs with no names as much as i hate loosing new discs its all part of the game if everyone only put their info on important discs more people would call.

"SPORTSMANSHIP"!!!!! You just don't get it. I am 6'5". I am neither lazy or afraid. I go into trees regardless of snakes, I go into water regardless of gators. I use caution doing both. But I go and look.If I find a piece of plastic that belongs to someone else, then I turn it in to lost and found if I can't reach that person. Every disc golfer is not used to the hazzards that I have become used to. That does not mean they aren't entitled to their plastic. Like I said, I will gladly return any plastic I find. Well except yours, that goes into the recycling bin. WHY? Because I understand what it means to promote the game. IT IS NOT MY PLASTIC IF IT DOES NOT HAVE MY NAME ON IT!!!

Omega, let me extend an Olive Branch. Come down here to Fla. When you end up in the water, water that has an 11 ft gator lurking, lets see if you leave the course with your plastic.

sorry to disapoint but we also have big gators,and snapping turtles,water mocasins,spiders. ive never seen a gator while playin but ive heard them during night rounds and seen where the sleep on the courses. this part of texas dosnt look much different than florida and if you find my disc keep it maybe youll learn how to play better with some quality plastic,once i quit lookin that disc is dead to me so i really dont care :p:D:eek::cool:

I was at a Disc Golf tournament this weekend and was warming up with a lot of drivers and I turned over an under stable driver in the woods. It was about 5 minutes before the players meeting so I was unable to go look for it. I am friends with the TD and I casually mentioned what happened and told him that I did not have my name on the plastic because it do not use it. He is the head of the Middle School Disc golf club where the course was located and confidently said that if one of the kids find it, I would get it back regardless of my name was on it or not. He teaches sportsmanship along with technique.

Sure enough my disc was recovered by one of his students in the second round and the little boy smiled as he returned it to me. I am glad that so many youths are learning disc golf in the way.

i dont have any discs with numbers on them or my name so do those discs belong to me can someone just take them out of my bag how does writing something on it change ownership should someone who finds my disc hire a psycic i mean if they still technicaly belong to me. moral and legal are two different things, most of the courses in houston dont have lost and founds or offices and if you put a disc with nothing on it in there someones gonna take it, personally i try to make every effort to return lost discs with numbers no matter where i find them but do i think you should or have to no. by the way if any buddy lost an x-caliber at mozola with the name nate blair on it let me know i dont want it no number on it dont know if thats two names or one and a last if u know them let me know

A while back I was attending a field trip in Berkeley, CA for my architecture class and, unfortunately, my car got broken into. I lost my stereo, and all of my cds but what hit me the most was that my bag with ALL my discs were in the trunk. Sadly to say, they took them too but I did have my name on them and phone number (which hasn't changed). There's a possibility that the bastard(s) did erase my name but if they didn't, where is my phone call? Now, I don't let my discs out of my sight.

Now I have a question to ask all of you: what would you do if someone tried to sell you some discs with the name scratched/blanked out? Would you pass it up? Buy it and say it's yours? Buy it and try to read the name or number? Would you say anything to the individual trying to sell the disc?

Personally, I would buy the disc and try to find the owner.

MONDO

Last edited:
Any thought that the person with the name on it sold it to someone else?

I have bought used discs and have tried to remove the sharpie with carb. cleaner and it doesnt get it out all the way, so their name and # MAY STILL BE SLIGHTLY VISIBLE, while mine is fresh and new. Do you think that people will assume I found someones disc and never called, or will they assume the most fresh writing is the correct owner???

Status
Not open for further replies.