• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DIY field practice target?

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target that can be easily carried to a field for deployment as an aim point. I don't want a portable basket. I'm not trying to practice ace runs, and therefore it's basically just way heavier than I want.

A not great idea I had would be to get a surveyors stick from a home improvement store, slap a cheap ball golf pin flag on top, and then take a bucket of sand to stick the pin down in.

The bucket of sand would be, again, much heavier than I want.

Thought I had just now: I have a cheap tripod I'm going to retire because one piece of it is not in optimal shape. I could figure out how to put a flag on top of that. Although, I wonder if that would just end up getting blown over too often.

I'm looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target that can be easily carried to a field for deployment as an aim point. I don't want a portable basket. I'm not trying to practice ace runs, and therefore it's basically just way heavier than I want.

A not great idea I had would be to get a surveyors stick from a home improvement store, slap a cheap ball golf pin flag on top, and then take a bucket of sand to stick the pin down in.

The bucket of sand would be, again, much heavier than I want.

Thought I had just now: I have a cheap tripod I'm going to retire because one piece of it is not in optimal shape. I could figure out how to put a flag on top of that. Although, I wonder if that would just end up getting blown over too often.

Home improvement stores have driveway markers so you know where to plow in the snow. Cheap, thin flagstick like, and just stick down into the ground easily. Lightweight, bright colors, less than a dollar.

Home improvement stores have driveway markers so you know where to plow in the snow. Cheap, thin flagstick like, and just stick down into the ground easily. Lightweight, bright colors, less than a dollar.

Probably not down here in NC, but I'm sure I can find something online.

Every month or so, someone in our local group posts how they are doing fieldwork and someone will run up and steal their discs. So I'm pretty terrified that someone would take my bag.

I feel terrible for those who lost discs, but that's pretty damn funny not gonna lie. People are pathetic.

Some little disc goblin terrorizing the fields!

I'm looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target . . .

Tree trunk, pretty not bad.

^ Tree trunk, telephone pole, stop sign, bush, etc. are my usual field work targets. Shame there aren't any trees in NC. ;)

Driveway marker is a good idea, too. Can probably mail-order if not available locally.

I feel terrible for those who lost discs, but that's pretty damn funny not gonna lie. People are pathetic.

Some little disc goblin terrorizing the fields!

In the same vein, the ones that crack me up are the stories of people playing holes next to the road. They throw their drive. Then a car passing by on the street slams on the brakes, the passenger gets out and runs and grabs the disc, gets back in the car and the car drives off.

^ Tree trunk, telephone pole, stop sign, bush, etc. are my usual field work targets. Shame there aren't any trees in NC. ;)

Driveway marker is a good idea, too. Can probably mail-order if not available locally.

Well, yes, I am aiming for objects in the background of where I am throwing. The opposite field foul pole makes a good target as well.

But, if the object is 450 feet away, and my putters are going 210, it's not quite the same. Ideally, I am looking for ways to practice both an aiming line and a final target.

I've even thought about taking the portable practice net I have out as a way of creating a sort of mando to throw around, but I don't know that something 7 to 8 foot high is really tall enough.

But, if the object is 450 feet away, and my putters are going 210, it's not quite the same. Ideally, I am looking for ways to practice both an aiming line and a final target. . .

Maybe this is an ignorant question but . . . if an object is 450 feet away and you want to practice 210 foot throws, do you have the option of walking 240 feet towards the object, and then throwing from 210 feet away?

Maybe this is an ignorant question but . . . if an object is 450 feet away and you want to practice 210 foot throws, do you have the option of walking 240 feet towards the object, and then throwing from 210 feet away?

I'm throwing in a baseball field, from one outfield corner towards the other. The things I'm throwing towards are outside the fence. Plus, I don't want to mar the actual field of play with repeated foot plants, so I'm always throwing from foul territory, preferable where there is already a lack of grass.

In the same vein, the ones that crack me up are the stories of people playing holes next to the road. They throw their drive. Then a car passing by on the street slams on the brakes, the passenger gets out and runs and grabs the disc, gets back in the car and the car drives off.

This thread is the first I'm hearing of either story lol. Wait...people *actually* hop out of their cars to steal discs? And *actually* steal field practice throws?

I thought it was just urban legend stuff.

The driveway marker is a great idea.

Lawn flags are cheap, portable, and can be seen from hundreds of feet away. As long as you don't mind throwing towards a 1 foot tall target.

3/4" rebar, put a point on it. Depending on soil, you might be sble to jab it in the ground, otherwise a hammer is needed. Definitely could paint it and put a flag on it easy enough.

Alternatively, a T post, but that would be harder to drive. Could sharpen it up to maybe work as well.

I second the suggestion of lawn flags. I make a circle with them of my "100% putt range" (18' around a flag at the center). It gives my field work real focus.

Latest posts