• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DIY field practice target?

I'm looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target that can be easily carried to a field for deployment as an aim point. I don't want a portable basket. I'm not trying to practice ace runs, and therefore it's basically just way heavier than I want.

A not great idea I had would be to get a surveyors stick from a home improvement store, slap a cheap ball golf pin flag on top, and then take a bucket of sand to stick the pin down in.

The bucket of sand would be, again, much heavier than I want.

Thought I had just now: I have a cheap tripod I'm going to retire because one piece of it is not in optimal shape. I could figure out how to put a flag on top of that. Although, I wonder if that would just end up getting blown over too often.

I typically just go with the base of a tree. If the park has bin style (plastic) garbage cans. I use those as well. Those work really nicely for creating mando points at the soccer field I throw at, and doing pitch and putt stuff.

Quad chair is what I have used a lot. Normal to have a couple in my vehicle. Blasting a quad chair over with a Roc laser beam is satisfying.

Elegant idea: Pole/stake + inflatable pool ring.

Novelty inflatable punching bag perhaps.

Last edited:
This thread is the first I'm hearing of either story lol. Wait...people *actually* hop out of their cars to steal discs? And *actually* steal field practice throws?

I thought it was just urban legend stuff.

Saw it happen once.

In the same vein, the ones that crack me up are the stories of people playing holes next to the road. They throw their drive. Then a car passing by on the street slams on the brakes, the passenger gets out and runs and grabs the disc, gets back in the car and the car drives off.

First I've heard of anything like this.

Most courses I've played have some amount of non-player traffic. ZBoaz, has very little of that. There is an older dude that wanders around the course and I was told he's been known to steal discs. First and only encounter, he wandered through a couple of holes during a tournament round. He wandered past the pin as we were finishing up—and yes he was in the way and a distraction. Proceeded to wander ahead of us as we were on the teebox of the next hole.

First I've heard of anything like this.

Most courses I've played have some amount of non-player traffic. ZBoaz, has very little of that. There is an older dude that wanders around the course and I was told he's been known to steal discs. First and only encounter, he wandered through a couple of holes during a tournament round. He wandered past the pin as we were finishing up—and yes he was in the way and a distraction. Proceeded to wander ahead of us as we were on the teebox of the next hole.

I actually saw this happen 2 weeks ago. A guy throws an MD3 and before the shot has even settled, a dude passing by hops off his bike and runs over and grabs it. What is really wild is you might think that this is something that a kid would do. It was a white haired man in a full cycling suit.

Dude chases after him and forgets the FD2 or FD3 that he threw beforehand. Then someone else grabs that up before he remembers and goes back to it.

I actually saw this happen 2 weeks ago. A guy throws an MD3 and before the shot has even settled, a dude passing by hops off his bike and runs over and grabs it. What is really wild is you might think that this is something that a kid would do. It was a white haired man in a full cycling suit.

Dude chases after him and forgets the FD2 or FD3 that he threw beforehand. Then someone else grabs that up before he remembers and goes back to it.

People suck.

People suck.

Dude came in pretty hot thinking I took his FD. But he was having a bad day, so no worries. I just don't want him thinking I have his disc. I offered to give him a quick ITB.

In the same vein, the ones that crack me up are the stories of people playing holes next to the road. They throw their drive. Then a car passing by on the street slams on the brakes, the passenger gets out and runs and grabs the disc, gets back in the car and the car drives off.

Haven't had that happen but have had someone deliberately drive over my disc when I threw an OB. Dude literally turned the wheels so he could hit my disc. Well, it is going to take less time to beat it in.

Latest posts