• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

Why do dog owners always (almost always) think their dog is ok but other dogs should be leached. The answer is simple. If you are in public keep your dog on leach.

I should have just started out the post by saying that I have had 3 recent times that my dog is next to me on a leash and someone else's dog comes at us and they have not been good about getting them away.

Anyone else feeling a sense of entitlement radiating from DGDoctor? :thmbdown:

I had a kayaking buddy who is a doctor. He thought it was ok if he showed up to the river a 1/2 hour late---every time. We cured him of it by getting on the river at the appointed time without him.

Last edited:
I am fully aware that my dog goes deaf and energy level goes way up whenever we go to the park so he is never off leash. He is way faster and quicker than me and won't listen so not worth whatever trouble would happen if he was ever off leash. Its always a bit worrisome when we come across other dogs off the leash and I have cussed out a few crap owners when their dog runs over despite being yelled at not to. Please dont be that annoying person who lets them run free in the park and ruin things for the rest of us.

Hot take -

Please don't bring your dog to the disc golf course. I love my dog. She is awesome. Sincerely, just a lil' squirt. Cute beagle dog that likes to frolic and run and chase butterflies and just generally be awesome.
But she is a dog. And dogs like to bark, and chew things, and run off after a chipmunk, and **** everywhere, and do basic algebra.

Look, all I'm saying is that your dog isn't an accountant, sir.

I should have just started out the post by saying that I have had 3 recent times that my dog is next to me on a leash and someone else's dog comes at us and they have not been good about getting them away.

Sounds like you just made that up. You're not a real doctor....are you?:\

I don't care how friendly or well behaved your dog is, I hate it when there are dogs off leash on the course. I love dogs, got 4 of them at home, but dogs need to be on leash and in full control if you are taking them to a public course.

When I've been out walking our family dogs I've come across the "its ok, my dog is friendly!" people with dogs off leash. Sometimes they give me the evil eye when I tell them they need to be on leash. They think that just because their dog is friendly other people are fine with it approaching them. Hate to break it to you, but my dog does not like it when a strange dog approaches her and she will react in an aggressive way. Its for your dogs own safety that it should be leashed.

at first i thought the "doctor" had a simple typo in the title, which would have been funny. Nope, actually has a lease on the dog.

You know a lot of people go to college for seven years
Yeah I know, they're called "Doctors"

This is a pretty funny thread. There are dogs that are extremely obedient, that listen and behave. Still does not mean they should be off of a leash in public. One of the most annoying things on a course is a well behaved dog, being bellowed at every 30 seconds by an untrained owner. I would rather hear loud reggae. :p

This topic is right up there with "what is par". Folks have strong feelings on the topic and are unlikely to change their minds.

And the ground has been well-trodden.

But carry on. :|

This is a pretty funny thread. There are dogs that are extremely obedient, that listen and behave. Still does not mean they should be off of a leash in public. One of the most annoying things on a course is a well behaved dog, being bellowed at every 30 seconds by an untrained owner. I would rather hear loud reggae. :p

That's not a well trained dog.

This topic is right up there with "what is par". Folks have strong feelings on the topic and are unlikely to change their minds.

And the ground has been well-trodden.

But carry on. :|

Truth.....but, there are no laws governing par.

That's not a well trained dog.

Agree....but, try to convince all the owners. "Hey man, my dog comes when it's called". But do I have to listen to you call it 400 time in 18 holes?

Truth.....but, there are no laws governing par.

Agree....but, try to convince all the owners. "Hey man, my dog comes when it's called". But do I have to listen to you call it 400 time in 18 holes?

The last dog I had that I allowed off leash, stayed within 10' of me unless I told it to go do something else. In which case, it followed hand commands. Then again, it was field trained... which is pretty specific.

Oh, and I still didn't really allow him off leash in 'public' places. Mostly because I didn't trust OTHER dogs (owners).

Recall is great, but it's the FIRST step in having a dog that can be off-leash. That's it.

Allowing one's dog off the leash but expecting other's to be leashed regardless of how "good" they are is purely selfish. Follow leash laws.

Me and my boy are gonna hit the course in about an hour.

I really enjoy bringing my dog on the course. I also have no problems having her on a leash. Mika is awesome, very loyal and loving. But she loves playing. If we want to run around and play, we usually will go to a field and chase things, or go for a run.

I don't bring her to league/competitive rounds (for obvious reasons) or parks where there's a history of other dogs running around freely (usually DG courses in public parks...) due to me not knowing these other dogs...

Leash your dog if you go to a course. It's for your, your dogs, and others safety (same goes for just hiking local trails... which bothers me more because your hands are literally empty, so why not just fill one with a leash...... humbug)

Latest posts