• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dont tell me what I should throw!!!

Whoa, comet, hold on... If he wants advice, then maybe he should try a different approach. I have friends of all divisions, many that don't adhere to the traditional dgr teachings- finger on rim, wrist roll... No ridicule is directed toward them- however, weather they're better or worse then me, if they came with the "I'm so big and strong approach" the lulz would be never ending.

I am happy to offfer the little bit I know to any player looking for help, but just because they're new doesn't mean they automaticlly get sympathy help. There are tons of threads started with " does this look right" or "what am I doing wrong", even "what do you guys think of..". Now starting a thread of "I'm so BA I can only throw 13's" is not that route.

Jmho...and if I had come to the more expierenced local players with that attitude, I'm sure they'd laugh at me.

Also, with the feldy question....we'd probally first ask what distances he's throwing them and for what lines. Now if he said he maxes out at 250, then he would get constructive criticism.

I wish people would look for substance in posts like these, rather than try to find ways to mock them.

I think it is very true that many disc golfers, especially ones on these discussion boards, like to give people advice by trying to indoctrinate them with exception-free rules, talking down to them, and doubting/mocking any advice rejections. These are the sorts of things that drive people away from wanting to discuss disc golf with other people, and does nothing except heighten the egos of the people doing the advising. If you want to be in that position, then get really good at disc golf and beat everyone. Otherwise, make this enjoyable for people and try to get them excited about the game. Sure, a lot of people might be wrong in these sorts of cases, but that doesn't mean that you need to make things unpleasant for them in an attempt to make them see that.

I always thought it would be interesting for someone like Dave Feldberg to anonymously put their bag on this forum and ask what is wrong with it. You know, the bag that has a gazillion molds, including the Boss. I would venture to guess that most peoples' ready and exception-free rules would put him in the category of someone completely oblivious and not in the one of a world champion.

The fact that, although he made his intentions/desires pretty clear in his original post, people still made fun of the fact that he doesn't adhere to their wide-rimmed-driver rules, makes me feel like the people on this board are completely missing the point. What is wrong with accepting it and moving on? It doesn't mean he doesn't want advice, but rather that he doesn't want to have the same thing drilled into his head over and over and doesn't want to be ridiculed for not following it. How many of you have seen him throw, and know for certain that he is not correct in his assessment of the situation? Perhaps I just have higher standards than most people on this forum with respect to expressing complete confidence in something, but I would like to at least see him throw and grip the disc before mocking him and making fun of the fact that he is unwilling to accept clear facts.

Welcome to DGCR!!!!!!!!!!!
(You're going to be a lot of fun!)

I always thought it would be interesting for someone like Dave Feldberg to anonymously put their bag on this forum and ask what is wrong with it. You know, the bag that has a gazillion molds, including the Boss. I would venture to guess that most peoples' ready and exception-free rules would put him in the category of someone completely oblivious and not in the one of a world champion.

lol.

^that means laugh out loud

this-thread-delivers_dhl.jpg

i think you've caught a case of "Preggo Grip" and it might be making you cranky. they r just tryin to up ur game my man.

Someone has done it!!! I was out for a round playing with a buddy when we let a group play through I was talking with one of them about my grip and he was showing me his grip. I tried it out and it felt really good on my eagle. I used this grip the rest of the round. It worked well and added about 20' to 30' on my drives. Sooo I have taken the boss, katana, and beast out of my bag for now. I have put all the discs in my current bag into my sig as well as my wants. Any discs that might fill a hole in my bag? Are my wants a good choice?

THANKS TO THE RANDOM DUDE THAT HELPED ME WITH MY GRIP.

Ok so a lot of you have stated that I just need to change my grip. I am open to suggestions on my grip but no one to date has been able to show me a different grip that is comfortable for me that may work better. I am more than willing to disc down if I can find a grip that would feel better on a slower disc. So if you have a suggestion please speak up. Here is my grip shown on an eagle. I like this grip and it just feels better on a wide rim driver.

Since I failed to get back here before someone in person (the best way) helped you, I'll try to correct it for others in this thread.

Someone has done it!!! I was out for a round playing with a buddy when we let a group play through I was talking with one of them about my grip and he was showing me his grip. I tried it out and it felt really good on my eagle. I used this grip the rest of the round. It worked well and added about 20' to 30' on my drives. Sooo I have taken the boss, katana, and beast out of my bag for now. I have put all the discs in my current bag into my sig as well as my wants. Any discs that might fill a hole in my bag? Are my wants a good choice?

THANKS TO THE RANDOM DUDE THAT HELPED ME WITH MY GRIP.

attachment.php

The first and biggest problem is you have no pivot. Your thumb is also too far centered, and your grip is too closed.

1. First thing to do when finding a comfortable grip is to make the pivot point with your index and thumb. Hook the rim with your index finger only, and let it hang down. Now put your thumb on the top so that it's directly above the tip of your index finger. Now do not slide the thumb toward the center of the disc. The idea is to have that pivot, and actually be able to push on the inside of rim with your thumb once the grip is complete.(The majority of your thumb is not on the rim, but on the flexible flight plate, pushing out toward the rim and down) If you squeeze, you can actually apply pressure to the rim from the top using your thumb.

2. Flip your hand over so it's palm up, and roll the disc (using that pivot point) into the lifeline of your hand.

3. Here's the part where you decide what stack is most comfortable to your hand.
-The standard power grip you just put each finger pad on the rim (what I use). http://www.quadcitydiscgolf.com/powergrip_flat.JPG

-For the climo grip, put your pinky down first, then your ring finger on top of that one, and your middle finger on top of both. http://www.quadcitydiscgolf.com/climopowergrip.JPG (His grip is actually a little tighter than this one, but it's the best pictures I could find)

-For a more fan grip, there's tons, but this is my putter fan grip. Place the pinky first, then just fan out the middle two. http://i51.tinypic.com/2coonls.jpg

Last edited:
I have put all the discs in my current bag into my sig as well as my wants. Any discs that might fill a hole in my bag? Are my wants a good choice?
Based on the discs in your bag, I could play a round pretty well. I'd be missing an overstable utility disc like a Banshee or Predator.

I'd also have a hard time with the Buzz being my only mid. I need something like a Meteor or Skeeter to mix in for turnover shots, and some of your wants seem to address that.

I'd also need a beat-to-crap driver for turnover/roller drives. That's not really a "what's the best disc for this shot" sort of selection for me, I just use the most beat-up driver I've got. Maybe you are planning on using the Kite for this? If not, I'd skip the Kite.

The Skeeter, Mako and Dart are all fairly close. I'd pick one. The Mako is pretty much an Innova Buzzz, so I'd go Skeeter (actually I'd go with the Meteor but it's not on your list.) You could still add the Dart as more of an approach disc, but either the Aviar or Focus will do that for you as well. If it was me I'd pick a putter for my putt and approach duties and stick with it.

Sooo I have taken the boss, katana, and beast out of my bag for now. I have put all the discs in my current bag into my sig as well as my wants. Any discs that might fill a hole in my bag? Are my wants a good choice?

Sig said:
champ TL, champ sidewinder, champ eagle, elite x buzzz, elite x soft focus.

WANTS
skeeter, mako, kite, dart, jk pro aviar.

I really only see two discs you could add to completely your bag. A firebird or predator, and a roc to compliment your X buzzz.

If you can throw a forehand, then there is no need for anything else to be added but those two. If you don't, then you need to find a good flip disc. Some of the best flip discs are actually beat to hell stable dx discs. Something like a thrashed dx teebird or eagle. For something right out of the box flippy, an eliteX XL works well. Generally lower grade plastic makes the best flip discs because they have more glide, and beat in faster. Eventually an EliteZ XL would get to the point of flippy, but out of the box it's more a straight flier.

I'm interested to know when you guys seriously think it is ok to throw and 12 or 13 speed disc? At what skill level or at a certain distance?

Basically, 90% of the people throw those disc the same distance as their fairway drivers with less control. So until you can throw them farther with better accuracy, leave them out. Just because we say not to throw them in rounds, or tournies. Doesn't mean you can't practice with them. But, certain disc have a very high power ratio that you should be at. If you're only throwing your fairways 300', your next disc SHOULD NOT BE A ****ING BOSS! Those disc are meant for someone with 400-450+ power capabilities. Until you basically can't throw any farther with your fairways, which is generally around 400-450, or you're turning over Teebirds (450 power). There is no real need for something faster. Btw, if you're making those distances with a Teebird or something similar you wouldn't be asking these questions because you'd have a great idea of why those faster disc work better at those distances. Most anything 12 and up, but there are a few exceptions as those REALLY understable speed 13's are being designed for "weaker arms". But, that's just a **** storm of marketing to sell those disc to lower powered players as they induce a plethora of inconsistency into their game. If they stuck with lower speed drivers their game would be better.

Simply put, there are enough disc lower speed, that for millions of reasons listed on this site almost daily. That you would NEVER EVER NEED anything faster, for no reason AT ALL, EVER. And, if you're not throwing over 400-450, those drivers should not exist. As anything under that power ratio, every smaller rim disc will FLY JUST LIKE those disc at that power ratio. But, that power ratio must first be established before those disc will fly as intended.

Last edited:
Nice post Lithicon. Sure, go ahead and practice with high speed drivers. Have some fun with them once in a while and see what they do. It's like a diet. Don't totally deprive yourself, just don't overindulge. My question is, would using them forehand be an exception? I can't handle anything over River or Teebird speed for my backhand, but is there any harm in throwing some fast stuff forehand?

Technically, anything you can do with a clean backhand form, you can emulate with a forehand shot. Most people feel as if they have more power in one or the other and they "might." Most often though forehand is easier to mess up and have bad form in. Leading people to say they have more power cause they turn certain disc over. So, until you can replicate the same shots with both forehand, and backhand with the same disc. I see absolutely not reason, for the same reasons as for backhand, that the rules shouldn't apply to forehand. You see what I mean? If you can't throw without turning over a certain disc, and you feel faster is the key to not doing it, or you're turning over the most stable slower speeds in backhand. This tells you that your form is off, no? Same applies to forehand.

Latest posts