• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Doubles rules and regs

Adontalis

Just wondering. In best shot tournaments, do they ever require a certain order to who takes each shot first? i.e. Do they force you to switch off first to tee off? Do they force you to have the player who's shot was not taken be the one to throw their upshot first?

Just wondering if there are any set rules ever or if the PDGA is looking at establishing such rules.

Just wondering. In best shot tournaments, do they ever require a certain order to who takes each shot first? i.e. Do they force you to switch off first to tee off? Do they force you to have the player who's shot was not taken be the one to throw their upshot first?

Just wondering if there are any set rules ever or if the PDGA is looking at establishing such rules.

In PDGA or Unsanctioned Events you can set the rules as you wish for different types of teeing orders.......In Worlds Mixed doubles they have it where one player can NOT tee off 3 times in a row bringing thinking into play.....
There are PDGA Rules for doubles of which Chuck or one of the other more savvy guys will or can give you a link to.....

In PDGA or Unsanctioned Events you can set the rules as you wish for different types of teeing orders.......In Worlds Mixed doubles they have it where one player can NOT tee off 3 times in a row bringing thinking into play.

Hmm ... in this thread, the TD for 2011 Mixed Doubles said the requirement was each player had to tee off a minimum of 6 times during the round. No mention of a "no more than twice in a row" requirement.

Hmm ... in this thread, the TD for 2011 Mixed Doubles said the requirement was each player had to tee off a minimum of 6 times during the round. No mention of a "no more than twice in a row" requirement.

That's almost the same thing ... just spread out. It is a simple way of assuring that each team meet the minimum. If it is no more than twice in a row, then each player would be teeing off at least 6 times. Though I guess what you stated would mean it could be Player A /B could simply planning which ones to take and then they could in theory use A's tee shot holes 1-12, then use B's holes 13-18.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/doubles

If you are playing Best Disc format and your partner has holed out, you do not throw unless you can improve on your partner's score. Any throw made which cannot possibly improve a team's score on a hole is a practice throw.

801.06 Practice Throws

A practice throw made during the round shall result in one penalty throw being added to the thrower's score.

Thank you. Guess I could have looked myself ...

Does any practice throw/penalty count against the whole team? Other than penalties on a throw/position that was not taken.
On the same page:

Warnings and penalty throws for the following violations shall apply to the team as a whole: courtesy, practice throw, interference, late scorecard, and incorrect scorecard. All other warnings and penalty throws shall apply to the offending player only.

If my partner is first up, and drains his putt, can I still putt also to avoid getting cold?

Best Shot Doubles Tip:
If there is an easy putt, don't just have whoever walks up to the disc first knock it in. Consider who putted on the last hole to make sure both players stay in the groove.

We never apply penalty for the other partner taking a putt as well. Its all about the competition and none of our doubles events is PDGA sanctioned in any way.

Practice drives are not allowed though

We never apply penalty for the other partner taking a putt as well. Its all about the competition and none of our doubles events is PDGA sanctioned in any way.

Practice drives are not allowed though

What if partner 1 hits an ace? Do you allow partner 2 to throw anyway?

That's technically a player putting after his partner has already made his putt, but obviously it's also a drive.

What if partner 1 hits an ace? Do you allow partner 2 to throw anyway?

That's technically a player putting after his partner has already made his putt, but obviously it's also a drive.

Each player gets to drive. They can then choose the best shot. Maybe they both Ace.

We play pretty relaxed when it comes to doubles.