• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Driver classes, what do you throw?

Hey guys, wasn't sure if this is the right forum to post in. I had a question regarding classes of drivers and what you guys carry. When I say "classes" i mean fairway, control and distance. I currently carry molds of all 3 but am looking to shuffle my discs around and I was wondering if most people make the jump from a speed 7 or 8 right into their distance drivers. So do you carry A fairway, control and distance for the same shots? I'm guessing it depends on your distance but I'm interested to see the responses. For my main discs, I go from a speed 7
(explorer, 1.8 rim) to speed 9 (culverin, 2.0 rim) and speed 12-13ish (sheriff, 2.2 rim).

So do you throw fairway, control and distance discs for similar throws? Or do you throw two molds/speeds to cover similar driver lines with different distances?

I throw speed 3 and then speed 7. It's very rare that I throw anything faster, but when I do it's going to be speed 11 which honestly is too fast for my arm. I don't really miss midranges or control drivers or whatever. It's kind of pointless to have a lot of discs in the bag in my experience. I try to go with a light bag

I bag a thunderbird and a valk, but at least on my home course 90% of the time I'm reaching for the Thundy.

I currently have four speed 7 fairways (Teebirds, Eagles, FDs, FD2s, whatever's on atm) that get workhorse duty, two Speed 9 PDs for tweener/windy holes, then four speed 13s.
I like having a couple PDs in there as a safety blanket. Some people go the other way and use speed 7s as their stop-gap for the woods or technical turnovers.

I rely on speed 7 as work horse. I have and experiment off and on with a lot of 9,10,11,12 but they don't usually get a permanent spot in the bag. I have picked up bunch of Pro drivers from Thundys to Orcs to Wraiths and Destoyers and IF i'm throwing well and my form is on the Detroyers go way way further than anything else. If i'm just throwing OK then I don't see enough difference between my speed 7 discs and anything faster.

I used to carry multiple speed 7s, multiple speed 9-10s, and multiple distance drivers in different stabilities. As I've gotten older and more noodle-armed, I've cut that back. A couple of speed 7s (Leo3 and an overstable mold), one speed 9 (usually a Sphinx), and one distance driver (Shryke/Pharaoh).

Some will go from speed 7 right to speed 12 or 13, while some will have gradations of every other speed, etc. Generally, your arm speed and the courses you play and the shots required on those courses will determine what is best for your bag.

Speed 8.5- Three Volts, one beat plasma, one OS proton and one stable proton. Speed 9 (but really I think a speed 10...) beat motion for straight to solid fade and about to pick up a fresh motion for OS utility. I do have a speed 7 Drift, US fairway, until my plasma gets to turnover which it's well on its way. After that it's distance drivers. Tried out traces which I can get to 425-450 but they're just too close to my Volts-now it's speed 13's for a little more separation from my fairways. So I go midranges-speed 9-8.5's-speed 13 and don't have too big of gaps, Max Drive currently 450 or so consistently.

I go from mids to speed 8/9 to speed 12.

I consider the undertaker a slower control driver at 8 (its marked 9 but flies slower imo). I don't feel like theres a huge unnecessary gap between wasps and 'takers...then predators at 9. On up to hurricanes at 12 for distance.

I do carry avenger SS, but it's really just a specialty disc for rollers and utility forehands.

In the control category. PDs and Roadrunners. I am experimenting with a couple fairways, but I don't have the arm for distance drivers, and I don't play any courses where I would need the skip they might give me.

One fairway mold(Stag), one CD mold(Firebird or Flare), two DD(War horse and Emperor)

Speed 7 (Teebird, Eagle) and Speed 9 (Valkyrie). I play them as if they would be in the same class.

The Felon, which is my utility disc, shows that it is a faster disc, the Valkyrie does not -- I mean in character, not in distance.

I'm bagging 3 drones (big z, esp, Ti), a z predator, proto anax, big z crank, proto kong, 3 destroyers of different stability, an enforcer, and a 10yr boss for my driver mix.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've got a pair of Stalkers (Z and Ti) for my fairways, a Z Raptor, Z Heat, 2 Ti Undertakers, and a Proto Anax for control, and then a Z Force, Z Crank, Ti Thrasher, and Proto Kong for distance.

I carry the three classes you mentioned: Fairway (6/7 speed), Control (8/9), and Distance (10+). I conceptualize these as Utility OS, OS, Stable, US, & Utility US. While I could fill each box created from this matrix (15 slots), I clearly don't. There is either overlap or I honestly don't having the skill/power to use them.
Fairway: N Resistor - N Crave - N Relay - ESP Sting (OS - St - US - Utility US)
Control: Z Raptor - P Volt - E Volt (Utility OS - OS - St)
Distance: Z Thrasher - ESP Thrasher (St - US)

Teebird (7), Firebird (9), Roadrunner (9), and in the tourney bag I also have a couple Cannons (14). I couldn't care less what they're called and seldom throw the Cannon...Teebird does workhorse well, RR does understable well, and Firebird does overstable well.

I like to treat my bag and discs a lot like soccer or hockey - sometimes a defender overlaps a midfielder or forward and other times a striker might end up somewhere around center mid - or back even farther. What I mean is sometimes I'll throw an overstable mid (Drone) full power and other times I'll gently toss a Firebird....there aren't rules for what a disc HAS to do as far as rules are concerned. Hell sometimes an anny with a Drone is a better shot than a Wasp/Comet/Buzzz/Fuse/whatever due to the fade. Just need to find your skillset and utilize what you can.

I like speed 7ish for my go to line shaping fairways. I can power them down or up so they can overlap well with my mids or distance drivers. Plus they have less fade than an equivalent stability speed 9 disc so I like them better in the woods. For example I'm meaning Teebird, FD, Leo, TL, etc. class of disc...pick what you like.

I tend to go to the 9 speeds for more OS discs. I can throw a Thunderbird a bit farther than a beefy Teebird so it makes sense to throw that to be closer in distance to my other speed 7's that are more neutral and get easy distance. Same with the really OS stuff like Firebirds, they just work better in speed 9 to cut through wind and skip and things.

I just don't like the speed 9 neutral/US stuff as much as those go almost as far as distance drivers for me but are more touchy in the wind and need more height...I lose noticeable control over the speed 7 neutral stuff and I can't power them down to where my mids cap out as easily. I think this is the most fun class of disc to throw overall, things like SW/RR/Valks, but for the most part I'd rather throw the Leo/FD style disc in the woods if I'm trying to hit lines and minimize mistakes.

I go from mids to speed 8/9 to speed 12.

I consider the undertaker a slower control driver at 8 (its marked 9 but flies slower imo). I don't feel like theres a huge unnecessary gap between wasps and 'takers...then predators at 9. On up to hurricanes at 12 for distance.

I do carry avenger SS, but it's really just a specialty disc for rollers and utility forehands.

This. I carry a Thunderbird. The next step up for me is a star Destroyer. I don't have a ton of use for 10 or 11 speed.

I carry a few faster/longer discs for shots the Destroyer can't quite get to. Stuff like a Boss, Nuke, Torrent, Shryke. The Shryke is the longest disc I carry, but definitely not the most accurate. Its used for wide open holes where I want to throw as far as possible.

Taking a break from distance drivers so my destroyers, shrykes, and gladiators are on the shelf.

I pretty much only bag the "control driver" slot, which consists of:
Criminal, for overstable business
Anax, for distance shots with fade
Culverins, anything from distance to turnover
Valkyries, for flip-ups and turnovers

Toying around with the idea of putting Sparks back in the bag for something a little shorter to nestle between the Buzzz and my main drivers.

Latest posts