• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Driver/Mid/Putter ratio

3 fairways
2 mids
1 putter

sometimes I'll carry as many as 5 fairway drivers, depending on the course. no high speed stuff for me.

4 Distance - Zeus(x2), Crank (x2)
6 Fairway - Raptor, Banzai, Undertaker (x3), Sting
4 Mids - Drone, Buzzz(x2), Meteor
5 Putters - Zone(x2), Challenger(x3)

6 Putters 3x Luna, 2x Zone, Rattler
5 Mids 2x Comet, Buzzz, Wasp, Malta
9 Fairways 2x Stalker, Mystery DGA FW, Raptor, Heat, Anax, Avenger 2x Undertaker
4 Distance Thrasher, Force, Zeus, Crank

I've slimmed down my bag a lot lately, but still carry majority putters.

4 putters
3 mids
3 fairways
3 control drivers
3 distance drivers

Funny how things have changed in my bag over the years.. I used to be more driver heavy, lately it's leaning towards 3- 4 putters. Currently:

2 x Envy sometimes a 3rd in electron
1 x Spin (putter)

1-2 mids Comet and or Tangent

2 fairway drivers Relay /Crave

1-2 Distance drivers Wave and/or Inertia and extra Wave or Photon

6 putters, p2s in the circle, proxy envy harp approach / drives
6 fairways, FD's Teebird Sparks
2-3 drivers Wraiths, sometimes DD

1 putting putter
4 approach putters (so they're called)
2 mids
3 fairway/control drivers
2 distance drivers

this is a good necro, I think there's still good discussion to be had here.

I find people who tend to utilize more forehands have more drivers. That was reflected in my game when I didn't throw many forehands, and now I'm back to using it quite a bit more

2 distance drivers
5 fairway drivers
2 'tweeners' (drone and squall)
3 midrange
4 putters

so 1:1, with some tweener discs that could be called slow fairways/fast midranges. I could probably use another driver in there but I don't throw nearly as many rollers these days so don't carry a specific disc for that.

I find people who tend to utilize more forehands have more drivers.

Why that? Because of grip and feel? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Is this the result of bags full of one-trick-pony discs?

In my small bag where each disc is thrown on many lines, BH, FH and OH, I would have more discs if I couldn't throw forehands.

Hence, does it depend on bag size and structure?

6 putter
2 midrange
2 fairway
4 conrol
5 distance

Ratio

5 Putters
4 Mids
4 Fairway (7 speed)
5 Distance (9-10 Distance w/Control)

No 11 speeds or over due to getting the same distance with lower speed discs.

In my mind, the longer the disc is flying the more you are depending upon what the disc naturally does compared to what you did to it. If that makes sense…

In my small bag where each disc is thrown on many lines, BH, FH and OH, I would have more discs if I couldn't throw forehands.

One of the reasons I carry a couple of extra drivers. My FH game is a work in progress. I like having a couple of flippy drivers to put on annys. If I had a consistent FH I could probably remove one or two of those.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yep, at least in my observations. I tend to throw my discs both ways, but usually have 1 that I almost exclusively throw forehand (right now, that's a drone, and I'll still throw it backhand) but don't have to have it in my lineup.

I do see quite a few people that carry forehand specific discs, mainly if they need a little extra to mask a little more torque. And out of those people, they tend to have larger bags (AX, Octo, etc) I carry a smaller lineup, so I tend to fh/bh pretty much anything.

One of the reasons I carry a couple of extra drivers. My FH game is a work in progress. I like having a couple of flippy drivers to put on annys. If I had a consistent FH I could probably remove one or two of those.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am the same way with 19 discs but the US mold (Archer) I have for a Right shot is used as backhand roller and the Dragon for Right shot is also used for a water disc as well as open hole tailwind/calm bombing driver due to how light the mold is. I can't do a Forehand but I could at one point. After I grew from 5 foot to 5 foot 2 inch, my current height now in a year as a teen in the 2000's, I could not forehand anymore as the disc would end up flying odd and anhyzer out to the right as if I could not give the disc power. Also if Jawbreaker plastic for Magnet did not suck in hot weather at ~95 F on up getting too much grip, I would use one less mold starting in January 2019 with the Proline Titanic.

Latest posts