• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Driving putter help!

@Armiller - you have a Pure and you're under the impression that putters dont hyzerflip well?? :) that disc is nuts for hyzerflips. I would say shallow, flat, stable putters hyzerflip pretty well.

My Pure is still fairly new opto, so maybe that's part of it. But it also stems from some reading I was doing on different discs... In theory, traditional putters with a tall, blunt edge tend to resist "turn" more; granted, the Pure doesn't quite fit that description. But I still think hyzerflips with flippier discs like a Leopard, Relay, or Beast require more hyzer, whereas putters tend to hold the initial line better. I'm not the most experienced at throwing putters though, so this is subject to change.

My Pure is still fairly new opto, so maybe that's part of it. But it also stems from some reading I was doing on different discs... In theory, traditional putters with a tall, blunt edge tend to resist "turn" more; granted, the Pure doesn't quite fit that description. But I still think hyzerflips with flippier discs like a Leopard, Relay, or Beast require more hyzer, whereas putters tend to hold the initial line better. I'm not the most experienced at throwing putters though, so this is subject to change.

I see what you're saying.

I got really used to flipping Truths off the tee for almost everything from 225-370 until they went US on us. When I got my hands on the Pure it felt like a mini Truth, and I had a very easy time getting touch with it. It flips up from a very similar angle and then gets real stable and holds. often 30-40 feet past the effing basket, though I've learned to range pretty well my Grip line.

Driving with the Pure has also helped my form a bit, especially standing, no run-up throws, and made it easier for me to flip other putters with control.

@ August - yep, forgot about the premium requirement. guess he's gonna have to try that kiwi disk. or the pa4 everyone keeps talking about.

I did not find the opto pure particularly Understable. In fact it I thought it was just a tick less stable than my shield. That said now I have one to beat and toy with. I am still hitting up my local shop tomorrow to pick up a few other suggested choices.

ya, personally I dont throw turnovers with a Pure. For me the disc is real stable up to flat, but gets touchy pretty quick once it's panned over at all.

I may be in the minority here but I actually prefer to turn over discs that are a bit more stable. It's like having more action on your clutch to feather with if that makes sense. I dont throw turnovers with a putter often, but when I do I'd prefer to overpower a Rhyno than finesse an understable putter over, but chances are I'm going to use a neutral mid for that shot.

I do throw annys a lot with putters, and again, for those I'd prefer to put spin on a more stable putter to hold the line than have to put force on something understable and already pitched over and hope it holds its angle. Besides the flight, you're going to get a nicer landing with something stable, where US is more likely to roll.

Thats bc hacks here offered poor advice with a os/stable driving putter in the pure.

Ah' dgcr... Pures are not even close to US even when seasoned. Summit/PA4 are two of my favorites but i love throwing putters in general.

Spike was nice to pair with pure but not what id call US either off the shelf. It was just a pure without the fade.

I may be in the minority here but I actually prefer to turn over discs that are a bit more stable. It's like having more action on your clutch to feather with if that makes sense. I dont throw turnovers with a putter often, but when I do I'd prefer to overpower a Rhyno than finesse an understable putter over, but chances are I'm going to use a neutral mid for that shot.

I do throw annys a lot with putters, and again, for those I'd prefer to put spin on a more stable putter to hold the line than have to put force on something understable and already pitched over and hope it holds its angle. Besides the flight, you're going to get a nicer landing with something stable, where US is more likely to roll.

I also like to anny-flex a stable-to-overstable putter, which I do on approach shots with my Star Stud and S-Line P2 (especially the P2). I do this at distances that are shorter than I like to throw a mid.

400 Pa4 has always been the answer.

But depending on speed, power, style, etc. I would say a Proxy in neutron is a cool choice. (or Mirage) again, OP may do what works best.

Been toying with a few discs that were recommended. PA4 is a turnover machine great for what I was looking for. Im hoping gateway answers my email eventually cuz I want an evo or evo platinum shaman. Idk who replaced Danny but gimme his email. Also I've been working a Dx wolf into my bag and I swear that disc is just a glidey putter. I love it and that's basically the only disc I like from innova. Thanks everyone for your input!

Latest posts