• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving technique

dudiablo

Par Member
I have been playing for quite a while now and have played with quite a few players, so I have seen LOADS of different throwing styles.

I throw RHBH and seem to have a kind of 'unique' style in that I use my left hand on the disc when reaching back (practically in a power grip) while I go through my x-step, then as I bring the disc forward I just release with the left hand and let her fly.

This SEEMS to help me stabilize my release angle (both wing up or down as well as nose up and down) without scrubbing off too much distance (Im in the 400ft range pretty consistently.) More than anything it helps make sure that im throwing on a level trajectory that is nearly parallel to the ground which really helps with accuracy in all wind conditions.

I was experimenting with just using one arm today and got some gains in distance just because of a wider range of motion, but lost accuracy.

Im just curious if there are many people out there who use this 2 hand backhand grip? You see a pretty even split in tennis players (1 vs 2 handed back hands) so I would think that it would be similar here but I have yet to bump into anyone else who really does this. (Aside from my brother, who I taught how to throw)

I do it too, though for me it's more of a comfort/how I learned to throw sort of thing. I usually let go of the disc with my left hand about half way through my throw. This summer I'm totally redoing my driving mechanics because of this. I've read a bunch of threads/posts/opinions/theories and the general consensus that I've found is that by holding on with my left hand I'm adding drag to my drive which does not allow me to gain the maximum arm speed possible which would be gained by just using my right arm. Probably gonna watch a bunch of the Dan Beto vids and start from scratch.

Your attempt to compare disc golf and tennis is not very useful. The point of contact for hitting a tennis ball is basically right in front of the center of your chest. The point of contact for driving a disc is two or three feet to the right of the center of your chest. Holding on with your left arm will really prevent you from getting the disc out in front of you before you release, which will limit how much you can leverage the length of your arm.

Your grip on the disc with just your throwing arm should be more than enough to stabilize and adjust wing and nose angles. That being said, everyone learns to throw differently. Some people adopt a style that feels right for a long time and just make it work, others attempt to go through some formulaic restructuring of their throw, and others find the happy middle ground.

Any time you make adjustments to your throwing motion, you can expect to have to recalibrate your aim somewhat. Keeping the off hand away from the disk allows a less-restricted reachback, and bringing it in close during the pull is said to help rotation speed. This is generally accepted as a best practice.

Your attempt to compare disc golf and tennis is not very useful. The point of contact for hitting a tennis ball is basically right in front of the center of your chest. The point of contact for driving a disc is two or three feet to the right of the center of your chest. Holding on with your left arm will really prevent you from getting the disc out in front of you before you release, which will limit how much you can leverage the length of your arm.

Who said anything about tennis??? And point of contact for driving??

Wake and Bake much?

Im just curious if there are many people out there who use this 2 hand backhand grip? You see a pretty even split in tennis players (1 vs 2 handed back hands) so I would think that it would be similar here but I have yet to bump into anyone else who really does this. (Aside from my brother, who I taught how to throw)

images

holding on with both hands seems like adding another variable for error. with my reachback (lhbh) my right hand is up close to my armpit, which allows me to rotate my hips and shoulders. my accuracy is more based on timing than anything else.

but whatever works, works.

Dudiablo I have just made the exact same change. When I began to let go of my left hand my accuracy decreased and my distance increased. I have played four full rounds with this technique and by my last round I have become muc more comfortable and accurate. Initially it feels uncomfortable and awkward. If you are getting more distance like you claim I would urge you to continue with the new technique and the accuracy will come with time.

yeah I guess its just something that Ill have to spend more time tweaking around with. I feel like I'm pretty maxed out with my throwing style as is (its a very comfortable, and fluid motion) which results in good distance, good acuracy without a WHOLE lot of wasted energy.

I agree wholeheartedly that there is more distance to be gained with a change of style, but that would change the whole mechanics of the throw. Lower half of the body will be exactly the same, but tilt angles of the disc will take some getting used to without the stability of a second hand.

If its not broken then why change it (much more than 400 ft is superfluous unless your getting paid anyway! HAHA) I was just curious if there are many people out there who use a stabilizing hand or not.

It is normal that you lose some accuracy when you try new things. Think back on when you first started using a runup etc. Leave that off hand off the disc and go practice it till you have more accuracy and more distance than before :D

*Update*
This last week I have been out on the course every day working on losing the left hand stabilizing grip, and I have had some GREAT results. I can finally throw my mids with a lot of consistancy (My roc was always turning right making me think that I was putting the nose down before) and It takes a LOT less effort in the legs and core to get to 400 feet than before. Once I get to where I dont need to think about the release so much, Ill be able to do some work with my lower body and hopfully add some D as well as consistancy.

Point of the post:
Thanks for the suggestions! I wouldnt have found it necisary to change form until I heard your oppinions, which have already helped my game and will pay real dividends as time goes on.

THANK YOU!

Hmmmm, I should probably make this change. I also hold my left hand onto the disc and tend to throw 350-400 ft. It's funny because I'm known to have a big arm, and I could probably add a few for feet onto my drive, but it seems daunting, because I've tried it before and it didn't go too well.

take a week where you dont care about your scores and just work on the upper body mechanics. You will get much better range of motion, and eventually cleaner releases and better accuracy. If your willing to see some crappy scores for a few days then its well worth it.

Now I just have to find something that makes as quick of an impact in increasing my PUTTING range.:doh:

Latest posts