• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving tips and techniques

harr0140

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I am new to the sport and I keep seeing all these people saying they easily throw 350 feet on their drives.

I am a well above average golfer and I know being 5'7" inhibits my ability to hit the ball as far as say a 6'0" person, but what I lack in height and range of motion I make up for in clubhead speed. I am still able to keep up with the best golfers at my course who can hit it 250-270 yards off the tee.

Now how do I translate my short stature and shorter arms into better distance at disc golf? I have only been playing for a few weeks, but the addiction just like in golf is there to always improve. I am still working on getting a more complete selection of discs, right now I have (all DX plastic)Valkyrie 175 as my main driver (for distance) but I know when I get a good throw and a bad throw as the tail to the left comes in so quickly. I also carry a 180 stingray which I love because I can throw that thing so straight and the added weight seems to be good in wind. I also carry 175 Shark and Viper. Thats all I have here right now, but have about half a dozen used discs coming my way to try out the different models.

I dont have a description of my throwing technique at present, but I am just looking for some tips and techniques that might help me. I will decide if what is offered works for me or not as I am sure everyone is different.

Does anyone have some recommendations on weight of disc too? Should I be throwing the heavier discs now or should I work my way up the weight chart?

I found a 150 Wraith but I really didn't like how light it was, so I gave that to my wife to carry.

Oh and too date I think the longest I have thrown is about 200 feet on level ground. My normal throws seem to be 150-175 if my form seems to be correct. Bad throws with the valkyrie might not even go 150 because of the harsh tail on the throw.

For technique, I'd start with these articles:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/drivingform.shtml

and

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

and this video (actually link to a forum post about the video):

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9959

As for disc selection, I'll refer to this article:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/choosingadisc.shtml

Welcome to the sport and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Disc Golf Review is definitely the most resourceful website I've found when it comes to learning about proper technique. You will learn more things in an hour searching those forums than you would in weeks of practicing and tweeking by yourself.

Disc Golf Review is definitely the most resourceful website I've found when it comes to learning about proper technique. You will learn more things in an hour searching those forums than you would in weeks of practicing and tweeking by yourself.

Yup, DGR is the best place to learn about proper form.

Agreed. When I first started out 3 months ago, I was in your distance range. Using DGR has me up to between 270-300 on most throws now... I expect by spring it will be in the 350-400 range after some more field practice.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought "well, time to post some links to DGR", but you guys beat me to the punch :D

DiscGolfReview.com = truly great resource for disc golfers, no matter what you're trying to find out.

"I am new to the sport and I keep seeing all these people saying they easily throw 350 feet on their drives. "

The internet does wonderful things for a lotta folks' "game". Whether it be throwing a disc 450', routinely catching 8# smallmouth bass or shooting all ten in the bullseye at 300 yards with gramps' WW2 rifle--there is no limit to the Herculean feats that many fantasize about and post as reality. The keyboard is mightier than the truth. I'm not saying that these things never happen, its just that they are more rare than it would seem from reading all the trumped up posts.

I'm sure that throwing 350' with consistency is not that uncommon but I would venture a guess that there are far less who can actually do it routinely than claim to.

Either that or I delude myself so I can tolerate my mediocrity!

"The internet does wonderful things for a lotta folks' "game".

Would that be like saying I am 23, a ripped athlete with 6 pack abs, no 8 pack abs, and I can benchpress 350' and I'm also a nice guy?

"I am new to the sport and I keep seeing all these people saying they easily throw 350 feet on their drives. "

The internet does wonderful things for a lotta folks' "game".[...]

I'm sure that throwing 350' with consistency is not that uncommon but I would venture a guess that there are far less who can actually do it routinely than claim to.
Your point is well made but consider the probability that the players who can throw 350' with accuracy are more likely to brag about that fact vs. the players who can't publicly admitting they max out at 200'.

I liken this to reading online reviews for tech stuff. If someone buys a product and it gives them nothing but trouble they're likely to hit message boards and retailers feedback forums blasting that product and anyone who worked on it, and bemoaning all the misfortune that befell them after purchasing it. Contrast that with the consumer who buys a product, it works well, and they're perfectly satisfied with it. How likely is it that the second consumer is going to spend the time to post his feedback online? So you tend to get a significant amount more negative feedback on this stuff and have to read the reviews with that understanding.

ERic

The internet does wonderful things for a lotta folks' "game". Whether it be throwing a disc 450', routinely catching 8# smallmouth bass or shooting all ten in the bullseye at 300 yards with gramps' WW2 rifle--there is no limit to the Herculean feats that many fantasize about and post as reality. The keyboard is mightier than the truth. I'm not saying that these things never happen, its just that they are more rare than it would seem from reading all the trumped up posts.

Either that or I delude myself so I can tolerate my mediocrity!

350' is not that great for disc golf, a lot of players can get there with below average form.

I'm telling you, instead of criticizing try going to the discgolfreview.com forum or at the least watch the Dan Beato youtube video both will help your form (and get to, then past 350'). After that you can come back on here and apologize to us guys who are just trying to help you break the 380' barrier.

350' is not that great for disc golf, a lot of players can get there with below average form.

Ouch, my 180'-200' or so must mean I have serious flaws!

Are you accurate and precise when you throw the 200' drives? If so, I wouldn't sweat it read the DGR articles and keep practicing. And by all means practice in an open field whenever and for however long you can. Practice makes perfect and will certainly add distance to a short game.

The person that said a 350' drive is not that great for DG is feeding you a load of crap. Yeah it would be nice to be able to toss 400' plus, but in most situations a 350' drive would set you up for a nice birdie if not over shooting the basket completely.

The keys to DG are Accuracy, Precision, and Putting

The person that said a 350' drive is not that great for DG is feeding you a load of crap.

No, I'm not feeding him a load of crap. I'm not saying you can't be a really good player with a drive under 350'. I am saying that having a 350' drive does not make you a great player... in fact if you think 350' is great then you have not been around enough good players.

And yes, I'm sorry to say if you are throwing 180-200 then you have some issues with form and or timing. It doesn't mean you can't or won't improve it just means something isn't clicking yet.

I'm not offended I only started the sport 3 weeks ago. I am trying to get as much info as possible, watching videos listening to tips, and everything I can. I hope to be able to throw 350' and I am sure I will as the good players look like 350' takes almost no effort and I know they aren't that much stronger than me, it all comes down to form. You are throwing a 175g piece of plastic, this isn't a discuss.

I know I don't have the form as I am still throwing with my arms, because I don't have the timing down, but given time I am sure I will be able to time the hips and the shoulders and then the arm, pivoting off the plant foot. I figured it out in golf by myself with no lessons, so I am sure I can figure this out too.

I'm not offended I only started the sport 3 weeks ago. I am trying to get as much info as possible, watching videos listening to tips, and everything I can. I hope to be able to throw 350' and I am sure I will as the good players look like 350' takes almost no effort and I know they aren't that much stronger than me, it all comes down to form. You are throwing a 175g piece of plastic, this isn't a discuss.

I know I don't have the form as I am still throwing with my arms, because I don't have the timing down, but given time I am sure I will be able to time the hips and the shoulders and then the arm, pivoting off the plant foot. I figured it out in golf by myself with no lessons, so I am sure I can figure this out too.

Yeah you'll get it, it just takes a little time. I had said that you can get to 350' with "below average form" but what I meant is you can get to 350' with less than perfect form. Keep practicing and you'll get to 350' in no time. I think 400' should be possible for almost anyone who is willing to put in the effort.

Think of it this way: 3:43 is the world record time for running a mile but most people should be able to do half that (7:30) with practice... so if the world record toss for DG is 820' then most people should be able to make their way up to 410'... at least that's my theory.

Yeah you'll get it, it just takes a little time. I had said that you can get to 350' with "below average form" but what I meant is you can get to 350' with less than perfect form. Keep practicing and you'll get to 350' in no time. I think 400' should be possible for almost anyone who is willing to put in the effort.

Think of it this way: 3:43 is the world record time for running a mile but most people should be able to do half that (7:30) with practice... so if the world record toss for DG is 820' then most people should be able to make their way up to 410'... at least that's my theory.

For a long time the 4:00 mile was thought to be impossible. Once broken, there were any others that same year to break that barrier! Once the limits were off the mind, and the impossible was attainable, it was so much easier for people to reach. Thought it could translate here too! :D

Agreed. When I first started out 3 months ago, I was in your distance range. Using DGR has me up to between 270-300 on most throws now... I expect by spring it will be in the 350-400 range after some more field practice.

Same here.... was around 220'-250' now after reading and practicing.... 270' sometimes 300'ish depends.... if I don't hit a tree.... and the wind is right......

Latest posts