• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Due to injury, I'm a cheatin' lefty.

I've joined the club of throwing with both hands though it wasn't forced by injury. I was just so disillusioned with how I played last tournament I decided to start over with the other arm. Being less than a week in I'm surprised at how much I've advanced with my non-dominant arm. Going back to the beginning of this thread, I think its easier to adjust for good form/technique on the weaker arm due to knowledge gained over months or years of the proper way of doing things. I didn't necessarily learn the right way of doing things the first time around so now I'm doing it correctly and more importantly know how to correct technique errors. My only concern is that my left side isn't use to such motion and muscle use that my shoulder and surprisingly hip are killing me this week.

Anybody here been forced to throw with their weak arm and have any results like this?

Last time I tried to throw with my off hand, it was just a 20' putt or so, and I did something to a muscle in my shoulder and it hurt for a good 20 minutes. Screw that worthless appendage, it's only good for holding things down while I do stuff to it with my right hand.

about to go play a lefty round

My son emailed me this post. Tore my rotator cuff several months ago. Didn't play for about a month and a half. Just stayed home and watched my kids and buddies play. Sad. Couldn't raise my arm, cant shut a window, ect. I'm stubborn and never got it fixed. (I will. Promise. I promised wife and family I would. After disc golf season. Whenever that is.) It started "healing" on its own after a month or two. So I decided to try playing again about a month ago. Not pretty. No power, No follow through, No strength, No consistency. Still can't close a window, etc, just weak. Just stubborn and want to be on the course. Doesn't really hurt, well, actually to be honest it does so everyone out there dont do what I did. My point of all this is my oldest boy has been hounding me to play lefty. Hates me playing injured righty. Every bad shot he says " if you threw lefty". As a birthday present to him the other day I tried lefty and wow. Very accurate. Not very far. Maybe 200' ish. But consistent. And my lefty flick. CRAZY. Better than any righty flick I ever had. So, thanks buddy for hounding me if you read this and I'm headed out to play lefty on the course right now.

Didn't see this thread until today. I can relate with all the posts on here. Right shoulder got very sore after a couple years of playing. Switched to lefty for a few months just to stay active. It has helped my balance now that I am back to right handed backhand. Hip was a bit sore for 6 weeks throwing lefty but no problem getting used to because of the learning curve is smaller from playing with other hand. Also as mentioned, it's like right handed ball golf and hitting a baseball right handed.

I'm right-handed in every other sport you can think of golf, basketball, baseball, etc. But in discgolf I'm LHBH I've decided this is because swinging a golf club/baseball bat right-handed is more like throwing a golf disc LHBH than RHBH.

Sucks because I have no LHFH game like a natural lefty might, So all my FH shots fade right (RHFH) just like my BH ones (LHBH).

Same here...about everything.

Sucks because I have no LHFH game like a natural lefty might, So all my FH shots fade right (RHFH) just like my BH ones (LHBH).

That's funny because my son (9) is the same way. For whatever reason when he started playing he preferred LHBH and I just went with it. Then as he saw me working on my (crappy) FH he wanted to give it a try. Go figure, he couldn't throw LHFH but was actually quite a bit better with RHFH which is now his most common throw. I tried to get him to switch to RHBH as well for his short game so he wouldn't have this same problem down the road but it won't stick. Oh well.

I've been playing lefty on one hole on my home course. Slowly yet surely, getting better and better. It's great fun to practice and even better when playing Ript and you're forced to throw with your off hand.