• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

how much are the rit dyes?

A big thanks to Surly Bastage for passing down his pylam samples to me!! :thmbup::thmbup:
Should be back to dyeing sometime this summer, and can't wait!

Duff:
How much are their bulk orders? Depending on the price, and how much it'll cost one you break them down, you might be able to easily move them here...

Last edited:
A big thanks to Surly Bastage for passing down his pylam samples to me!! :thmbup::thmbup:
Should be back to dyeing sometime this summer, and can't wait!

Duff:
How much are their bulk orders? Depending on the price, and how much it'll cost one you break them down, you might be able to easily move them here...

its about 100-120 min order... it'd be a nice investment sure, but i don't have the money to spare atm. so I'm just waiting on him. i was there the other day and he said he's ordering all of the colors. ill keep pressing him and ill let you guys know asap.

Thanks man. I am really happy with that one. I found the page where I posted some of my mix ratio's with the prochemicals additives and so forth, but I have since revised them to be mixed by the 1 pint mason jar. I have been adding these additives to all my dyes since I discovered them. So just so you know, all my pylam dyes were mixed with the prochemicals solutions as well. It may have something to do with the colors, it may not. I have just been using them regardless. Seems to work quite well though so far. Myself and a few others have purchased the prochemicals disperse dye sampler pack. It includes the additives listed below (minus vinegar).

I have been mixing the following (in this order):

1. apprx. 1 pint of water warmed up but not boiling
2. 1/2 tspn dye carrier nsc
3. 4-6 drops synthrapol
4. 1/2 tspn white vinegar
5. 3 tspn of dye powder

I then simmer and stir the dye for a little while on a low temperature. Just enough to help it dissolve all the way. Then I just put the dye back into my mason jars to use as needed.

Please post any results. Its good to see ya back in the thread. I'd wondered where ya went. I know we both had started a similar thread the same week about trying to find different dyes. Lol.

Hello everyone,

I've made my way through the thread, and found lots of useful information. Really appreciate you guys sharing the info, your research, and posting results!
I Started spin dyeing this week using an old record player with a cardboard cutout to elevate away from the pin, and rings drawn on it to help center.
I used idye poly and acetone. Based on what I had seen on youtube, I just poured a pack of idye into a glass jar, added about enough acetone to dissolve the dye, and was then just using brushes to dye.

After the discs were done, I let them sit for 24 hours before rinsing them off. They turned out OK, but not really bright. Any tips?

Should I use the recipe above for spin dyeing? It seems like a lot of mixture. I was thinking I could make smaller quantities.

I also have a sample order from Pro Chemical on the way. Anyway, if you guys have any tips for creating deep bright colors for spin dyeing, I would really appreciate it! I'll post results here. Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I've made my way through the thread, and found lots of useful information. Really appreciate you guys sharing the info, your research, and posting results!
I Started spin dyeing this week using an old record player with a cardboard cutout to elevate away from the pin, and rings drawn on it to help center.
I used idye poly and acetone. Based on what I had seen on youtube, I just poured a pack of idye into a glass jar, added about enough acetone to dissolve the dye, and was then just using brushes to dye.

After the discs were done, I let them sit for 24 hours before rinsing them off. They turned out OK, but not really bright. Any tips?

Should I use the recipe above for spin dyeing? It seems like a lot of mixture. I was thinking I could make smaller quantities.

I also have a sample order from Pro Chemical on the way. Anyway, if you guys have any tips for creating deep bright colors for spin dyeing, I would really appreciate it! I'll post results here. Thanks!

This mix is more for making a liquid dye mix for either stovetop or shaving cream/dish gel applications.

For spin dyes heres a few tips:

1. Lots of (precision) q tips for cleaning up your lines as you make them with a paintbrush. I use either a dab of vinegar or acetone on the end of the qtip.
2. I usually keep my homemade mixes in a sealed container: about 1 part laundry detergent, 1 part dye, and maybe a few drops of vinegar and/or acetone to my mixture. As I use it though, I take some of the goop, put it in a shot glass, then maybe add a drop or two of acetone and/or vinegar to loosen it up if it needs it. Tends to goop up over time in the jar.
3. Quick Coat Worm Dyes!!! for bright colors. I still use my mixes as well for certain darker colors or shades.
4. For setup, Use like a resealable plastic cakepan or something similar. I usually prop my disc up on like a coffee cup or something. Then place some damp paper towels or towels in the bottom of the pan. Sometimes you may need to take the dome off from time to time to prevent the lines from bleeding. Every hour or so. I posted a pic of my setup a while ago on one of these threads...Thanks to Eky8 for the tip on this one!

Worm dye ruined my favorite disc!

So, I'm not much of a dyer like most of the experts here, but I picked up some of the worm dye because I thought it would be easy to use and could help darken up a couple discs that have a tendency to "hide" in the fairways.

The first time I tried this, I popped my wraith in a freezer bag, poured the worm dye in, swished it around for 10 minutes or so, and perfect, the disc came out at least 3 shades darker than before. Now it is easy to see.

Fast forward to tonight, I have two other discs - 1 is mine the other is a disc I got for a buddy for his birthday. Both are somewhat difficult to find from time to time. I used the same method, but this time, I popped them in the bag and let them sit for maybe 1/2 hour. I came back to find them both completely warped. I mean, these discs, that were previously flat, now have a superdome. The bad news is that mine is an 11x Teebird and his is an old Z-MRV.Tough to replace...

What gives, did I just ruin these discs? Has anyone experienced this with worm dye before? Any help is appreciated as the 11x bird was/is one of my favorite discs of all time.
Thanks!

Worm dye has acetone in it. I would never recommend leaving a disc in acetone for any extended period of time. One of the advantages to using the acetone based dye is how quickly the dye is absorbed into the plastic. Should take seconds, not minutes.

This mix is more for making a liquid dye mix for either stovetop or shaving cream/dish gel applications.

For spin dyes heres a few tips:

1. Lots of (precision) q tips for cleaning up your lines as you make them with a paintbrush. I use either a dab of vinegar or acetone on the end of the qtip.
2. I usually keep my homemade mixes in a sealed container: about 1 part laundry detergent, 1 part dye, and maybe a few drops of vinegar and/or acetone to my mixture. As I use it though, I take some of the goop, put it in a shot glass, then maybe add a drop or two of acetone and/or vinegar to loosen it up if it needs it. Tends to goop up over time in the jar.
3. Quick Coat Worm Dyes!!! for bright colors. I still use my mixes as well for certain darker colors or shades.
4. For setup, Use like a resealable plastic cakepan or something similar. I usually prop my disc up on like a coffee cup or something. Then place some damp paper towels or towels in the bottom of the pan. Sometimes you may need to take the dome off from time to time to prevent the lines from bleeding. Every hour or so. I posted a pic of my setup a while ago on one of these threads...Thanks to Eky8 for the tip on this one!

Thanks for the tips! I have samples on the way from the companies mentioned in this thread. Excited to see how they turn out. Some additional questions:

1. No heating up the dyes? Just mixing those three ingredients

2. Do you mix up the mixture just before painting it on? I think some of the powder floating in the mixture ended up on my disc and once I washed it off the next day it seemed to leave behind areas that weren't dyed as deeply.
I was thinking it may be a good idea to mix the dyes up, and then let them settle for a minute to avoid picking up as much powder with my brush.

3. What do you mean cleaning up the lines? with a q-tip and acetone? Is this to remove dye or to remove brush lines and create smoother gradients?

4. What is this thing about cake pan and damp towels? Is this to store the disc immediately after dyeing it? Please explain this part some more. How long should the disc sit in there? What do you do when removing it?
I've done 6 discs so far, and some came out really nice (pics to come). I let them sit uncovered in my house for 24 hours, then I run them under warm water and wash them with dish soap and a sponge. Would love to know more about the proper way to go about this.

Again, thanks so much. Pics otw.

Thanks for the tips! I have samples on the way from the companies mentioned in this thread. Excited to see how they turn out. Some additional questions:

1. No heating up the dyes? Just mixing those three ingredients
Nope no heating. With painting you use time instead of heat. Some people have used various methods to add heat. I personally don't.

2. Do you mix up the mixture just before painting it on? I think some of the powder floating in the mixture ended up on my disc and once I washed it off the next day it seemed to leave behind areas that weren't dyed as deeply.
I was thinking it may be a good idea to mix the dyes up, and then let them settle for a minute to avoid picking up as much powder with my brush.
This is the very reason I let mine settle if I can before I paint with it.

3. What do you mean cleaning up the lines? with a q-tip and acetone? Is this to remove dye or to remove brush lines and create smoother gradients?
I'll let Odyssey get this one.

4. What is this thing about cake pan and damp towels? Is this to store the disc immediately after dyeing it? Please explain this part some more. How long should the disc sit in there? What do you do when removing it?
I've done 6 discs so far, and some came out really nice (pics to come). I let them sit uncovered in my house for 24 hours, then I run them under warm water and wash them with dish soap and a sponge. Would love to know more about the proper way to go about this.
I found that if you can keep your dye moist it will dye with a smoother color. Kinda the same thing you were mentioning with the powder sticking and not dying clean. Usually when the dye dries it cracks and doesn't give the smooth even color. So I found if a put my disc in a sealed container with a little moisture the dye will stay moist and I will get cleaner colors. WARNING. Too much moisture will make your dye run.`

Again, thanks so much. Pics otw.

Hopefully that answered most of your questions.

By the way I don't do many spin dyes. But I do use this same basic technique for painting on dye to do multi color work.

I Just do it primarily to get a nice clean line. Like say if my paintbrush didnt apply it exactly even or the dye ran a little. I basically put just a tad of vinegar on the end of the q tip (not too much though. You dont want it soaked) and turn up my spinner a bit and make the line nice, crisp, clean, and even. Not necessary just my preference. Mainly for your own dye mixes since they can tend to be goopy if you dont get the mix just perfect. No need to do this usually with worm dye since the disc takes it almost instantly.

* Also definitely a good idea to let your mix sit at least one night. It will help it fully dissolve.

Thank you again. Getting new dyes in today. I'll make sure to mix and let them sit overnight. Here is one I did last week. My third dye ever.

Attachments

• Flow after.jpg
    Flow after.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 99
The mixture using 1 part dye, 1 part detergent and a few drops of acetone seems really thick. I added a bit more detergent, but it is still very goopy, which doesn't seem to be good for spinning making solid edges. Am I doing it wrong?

The mixture using 1 part dye, 1 part detergent and a few drops of acetone seems really thick. I added a bit more detergent, but it is still very goopy, which doesn't seem to be good for spinning making solid edges. Am I doing it wrong?

Yea I may have exaggerated on the amount of dye. Maybe closer to 2 to 1 part dye. Its gonna naturally goop up a little. In that case I usually put just enough goop I'm going to use in a shot glass then add acetone and vinegar by the drop until I reach a nice consistency (not too much at all). Then paint on the lines. Then clean off with a mildly soaked vinegar q tip and let dry. Then of course the cake pan treatment when my lines are done.

Got it. Will try that.
I'm also going to make a sample batch heating up water, dissolving dye into it, and then adding detergent, vinegar, and acetone.
I'd love to see a video of how you clean lines with a q-tip and vinegar. As soon as I paint on a ring, it's already somewhat set. For me, cleaning up with vinegar/Q-tip removes most but does leave a stain behind.

Anybody ever used any die that is not water-soluble?? I have some and wondered if anyone experimented with it. I have been with no luck

Got it. Will try that.
I'm also going to make a sample batch heating up water, dissolving dye into it, and then adding detergent, vinegar, and acetone.
I'd love to see a video of how you clean lines with a q-tip and vinegar. As soon as I paint on a ring, it's already somewhat set. For me, cleaning up with vinegar/Q-tip removes most but does leave a stain behind.

Ill see what I can do maybe to make a quick vid sometime. What I mean by it is not wiping off the line you just created, but just using the q-tip on the edge of my line to make sure the edge of my lines are nice and sharp

Anybody ever used any die that is not water-soluble?? I have some and wondered if anyone experimented with it. I have been with no luck

Yea water soluble dyes are usually a no go in most cases I believe. I've tried dabbling with my Procion MX dyes that I use for tie dyes and those are also not a good choice. Water soluble disperse dyes are usually what you want to look for. Worm dyes are getting pretty popular too, especially for some of the brighter colors.

soooooo my retail partner finally got the pylam in... he's going to be selling it in .5oz sizes... but I'm a little leery as to the price... he hasn't decided on it yet. he wants to crunch numbers and figure it out... ill keep you guys updated.

Sorry guys, I'm working my way through the 13 pages. Good read so far catching up.

But could someone just answer me; do they make the spike it pen with NO scent and if not is the smell long lasting or able to be gotten rid of? And in black?

Also, does the Dip n Glo work and does it have a color? And can you put the white on darker discs to any effect or use as a technique with other colors?

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'm gonna order straight from them soon.

Latest posts