• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

in the very soon future we may have an outlet for pylam at quantities less outrageous than the amount pylam wants us to buy. my retail partner is looking into distributing solely for the purpose of dyers like us. i filled him in on the dye and our issues w the price and quantity and he is looking into buying and repacking to sizes we are looking for.

Any updates on this? I'd *definitely* pay for a disc-dye sized sample pack if anyone can put one together.

these weren't hot dipped, how did you do it? action? my hot dips and even my neb's come out way different and more rich in tone.

First time dyer, long time lurker here.

Not quite a hot dip.

I floated the disc bottom side up in a pan of 120-130 deg. F water for a little to let it warm up before adding the dye to the disc.

I added ~1/4 teaspoon of dye ~40 ml of water just off a boil and mixed it up. That should correspond to Oddyssey113's ratio of ~ 1 pint water / 3 teaspoons dye powder. I do not have a dye carrier and did not use vinegar or a surfectant.

The dye seemed to mix okay - no noticable particulate though the mix did have an oil like sheen on top - but I have nothing to compare it to.

Anyway, when the mix got to ~130 deg. F, I put it on the disc and let it sit for about 7-1/2 minutes. The disc was heated by the water bath the entire time.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

First time dyer, long time lurker here.

Not quite a hot dip.

I floated the disc bottom side up in a pan of 120-130 deg. F water for a little to let it warm up before adding the dye to the disc.

I added ~1/4 teaspoon of dye ~40 ml of water just off a boil and mixed it up. That should correspond to Oddyssey113's ratio of ~ 1 pint water / 3 teaspoons dye powder. I do not have a dye carrier and did not use vinegar or a surfectant.

The dye seemed to mix okay - no noticable particulate though the mix did have an oil like sheen on top - but I have nothing to compare it to.

Anyway, when the mix got to ~130 deg. F, I put it on the disc and let it sit for about 7-1/2 minutes. The disc was heated by the water bath the entire time.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

thanks for the detail! i actually meant acitone not action lol. but any way... i had a white esp disc laying around the i just use as a test disc now. i do it right on top and cut a wedge and set a timer for 15 second increments. every 15 sec i cut a portion of the wedge and remove the vinyl to step the timed exposure so i know, every 15 seconds is one step and the closer to the center of the disc, the closer to 4 mins of dip I'm at... so the rim is 15 seconds of dip, next is 30, then 45, and so on and so forth. this way, when id like to reach a certain shade, i just pull that disc out and see how long to expose it. i also do that w any new dye colors so i can see what it will end up like.

it actually saved my ass when i was trying to do a green. idye's green sucks! it actually turns out grey... so i didn't end up ruining a customers disc... i just found pylams in stead lol

as far as the retailer goes, ill ask him when i see him, which I'm sure will be this weekend at some point. he said he's building his web site atm, and i know he won't get the dye until the web site is done, so he can sell it to the dye community easier. trust me, when its available, ill post. his business thriving, means my business will thrive... so, i help shamelessly promote him lol. look him up on fb. the disc golf store. st. clair shores MI.

after buying a few of the dglo goo buzz's, i now know for a fact, discraft uses pylam as their dye... i smelled the disc as soon as they put it on the shelf. it has the exact same sweet smell that pylam has. no other dye smells like that. so thats that, for what its worth.

after buying a few of the dglo goo buzz's, i now know for a fact, discraft uses pylam as their dye... i smelled the disc as soon as they put it on the shelf. it has the exact same sweet smell that pylam has. no other dye smells like that. so thats that, for what its worth.

Hmmm...didn't the people at Pylam have no clue that their dye worked well for discs though? You'd think they would have known if the have some sort of contract with Discraft. I take your word for it though since I have never used Pylam - nice detective work :hfive:

Hmmm...didn't the people at Pylam have no clue that their dye worked well for discs though? You'd think they would have known if the have some sort of contract with Discraft. I take your word for it though since I have never used Pylam - nice detective work :hfive:

turns out dc did not dye them... it was hyper farm... a group I've never heard of, but apparently they got dc to pay them to dye 2000 of these... a tad annoyed that dc would not keep things local. but what can you do. so, hyper farm uses pylam lol.

turns out dc did not dye them... it was hyper farm... a group I've never heard of, but apparently they got dc to pay them to dye 2000 of these... a tad annoyed that dc would not keep things local. but what can you do. so, hyper farm uses pylam lol.

Could it be HYZER farm? I see them on Ebay selling their own dyed discs.

I am going to have to read a ton to figure this out.

I am going to have to read a ton to figure this out.

23 pages ain't nothing ;-) You should of seen how many pages I had to read through to figure about the worm dye and prochemicals...and then take a leap of faith to try them out.

You got the easy part...lol

Along these same lines, DO we know what the big companies use for dye? I assume they have a contract for dye with somebody since they must use a ton of it...

Maybe they make their own? Seems like non of these companies (pylam, prochem, idye) had any idea that people were using the dyes for discs, so my guess is DC/Innova, etc don't use anything we know of...but I really wanna know what they do use.

Anyone have any insight?

Along these same lines, DO we know what the big companies use for dye? I assume they have a contract for dye with somebody since they must use a ton of it...

Maybe they make their own? Seems like non of these companies (pylam, prochem, idye) had any idea that people were using the dyes for discs, so my guess is DC/Innova, etc don't use anything we know of...but I really wanna know what they do use.

Anyone have any insight?

I'm heading to discraft tomorrow, ill see if i can get it out of them.

Hyzer Farm. Which is run by Scott Papa, a Discraft sponsored player. So not local, but semi-in house.

SO, I went back and couldn't find it. What kind of free samples are people getting from pylam?

SO, I went back and couldn't find it. What kind of free samples are people getting from pylam?

They give out 1 oz samples to try out...I would just submit a sample request through there website. Some of my favs from them are fuschia, fluorescent yellow, bright green, aqua blue, purple...All of there colors I've tried have came out quite nice...just make sure you mention you they are for disc dyeing and you prefer only water soluble disperse dyes...Good luck!

Okay, i didn't know if people were asking for Hair, or something else.

Welp no more free dye samples for frisbee's

"Cole:

Thank you for reaching out to us at Pylam Products. Pylam Products no longer sends out free samples for the line of dyes that you are seeking. If you wish to purchase dyes that are designed for coloring Frisbees, we offer the products which are listed on the attached PDF. Please keep in mind that we cannot accept the return of any material if you do not like the shade or the performance of the dyes.

If or when you're ready to place an order please call us at: 800-645-6096. We look forward to working with you in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Sales Department
Pylam Products Company, Inc.
Phone: 480-929-0070
"

"Cole:

Thank you for reaching out to us at Pylam Products. Pylam Products no longer sends out free samples for the line of dyes that you are seeking. If you wish to purchase dyes that are designed for coloring Frisbees, we offer the products which are listed on the attached PDF. Please keep in mind that we cannot accept the return of any material if you do not like the shade or the performance of the dyes.

If or when you're ready to place an order please call us at: 800-645-6096. We look forward to working with you in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Sales Department
"

Weak-sauce!!! :thmbdown:

Think I mentioned them too much around here and they got drowned out with requests and no-one was placing orders because of their 16 oz minimum purchase requirement...Oh well, guess all good things must come to an end...Just hope that they bend on that stupid minimum requirement someday...They could get a ton of business if they did.

...Just hope that they bend on that stupid minimum requirement someday...They could get a ton of business if they did.

I was just about to do this as well. Boo!

If they understand we use the dye for discs, you'd think they would also figure out that 16oz is a ridiculously large amount. I am hopeful that they will see the potential market here. :)

"Cole:

Kind Regards,

Sales Department
"

Update:
me said:
Hello,

Thanks for the e-mail back, but I am going to have to pass. The reason being is that 16 Oz is almost to much when it comes to disc dying. It would last me almost 4 years (if it stays good that long) if not longer. Without the sample it makes it a hard fit to see if it will work or not. Do you guys ever plan on going in smaller amounts?
reply from them said:
Cole:

Due to the fixed costs that we have for fulfilling an order it is only feasible for us to sell a minimum of 16 oz. of dye. We fully understand that this may be more dye than you need and we regret to hear that. But if you ever do want to purchase dye from us, you should keep in mind that the powder dye can have a shelf life in excess of 50 years if you store it appropriately.

If you have any further questions please call on us.

It appears that it stays good for 50 years if stored right, not sure how good once turned liquid. How much is 1 oz of powder? because 4 oz jars are about 29 - 40 bucks, and you need to get 4 of them