• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

i mixed all of my samples to the ratio he specified on page 13 i think it was... worked just fine. i have more time to play w dyes on monday and tuesday nights because I'm off work then, and home. i plan to test the oil pink tomorrow.

the "page 13" confused me, because for me, this page is page 5.

so has any one got more than the samples from pylam and prochem? I'm almost out, and I'm not happy w the reds... the greens, blues, purples, yellows, oranges... those are great... but I'm also almost out and need to get more but not really interested in the lb at a time order at that price tag...

so has any one got more than the samples from pylam and prochem? I'm almost out, and I'm not happy w the reds... the greens, blues, purples, yellows, oranges... those are great... but I'm also almost out and need to get more but not really interested in the lb at a time order at that price tag...

Im about to try out some pro chem tonight for the first time. I want to do a nebula background for a disc with an idye orange/red/crimson stamp. Does anyone have any pics of a nebula done with prochem bright red, clear orange, bright yellow, bright blue or turqoise?

I wanted to use red orange and yellow but am afraid it will be too similar to the idye colors.

Mixed a 1% solution of the pylum bright red and it looks more like brick red. Not the results I was looking for. Am going to add more dye and see......

Im about to try out some pro chem tonight for the first time. I want to do a nebula background for a disc with an idye orange/red/crimson stamp. Does anyone have any pics of a nebula done with prochem bright red, clear orange, bright yellow, bright blue or turqoise?

I wanted to use red orange and yellow but am afraid it will be too similar to the idye colors.

I did this one with prochem bright red and clear orange...Also some black idye (i believe)...The bright red was the dominating color in my mix as you can tell...Its got kind of a hot red feel in person.

For the Pylam samples -

Disperse dye, correct?
Should I ask for water soluble powder or liquid?
Where are all the colors listed, or are they?
I see some samples here
Has anyone tried the Pylaklor Fluorescent Coral or the Pylaklor Fluorescene?
I just want to dye a white disc to make it either bright pink or chartreuse so I have a better chance of finding that sucker after a wayward throw that I look away from in disgust (when will I learn?).

For the Pylam samples -

Disperse dye, correct?
Should I ask for water soluble powder or liquid?
Where are all the colors listed, or are they?
I see some samples here
Has anyone tried the Pylaklor Fluorescent Coral or the Pylaklor Fluorescene?
I just want to dye a white disc to make it either bright pink or chartreuse so I have a better chance of finding that sucker after a wayward throw that I look away from in disgust (when will I learn?).

Disperse dye, correct? Yes
Should I ask for water soluble powder or liquid? Powder
Where are all the colors listed, or are they? They are but better to just request colors you want for the sample.

So far the closest to bright pink (I think) you'll come with Pylam is there Fuschia. You may want to consider Quick coat worm dye as well if you are going for ultra bright 1 solid color.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Thanks.

I have never dyed before and am not sure which colors to request. I am hoping to see a few more dyes on this thread (with and without the prochemical carrier and synthrapol) before deciding what to do.

Do the sample colors they show correlate in any way to what I would get on a white disc (I was going to ask this on the newbie thread but since I am here...)?

The worm dye looks great. Exactly what I would want but I have a Legacy Trails stamped Icon Rival from moose-msd and I do not want to mess up the stamp. I do not suppose there is any worm dye without acetone is there?

Thanks.

I have never dyed before and am not sure which colors to request. I am hoping to see a few more dyes on this thread (with and without the prochemical carrier and synthrapol) before deciding what to do.

Do the sample colors they show correlate in any way to what I would get on a white disc (I was going to ask this on the newbie thread but since I am here...)?

The worm dye looks great. Exactly what I would want but I have a Legacy Trails stamped Icon Rival from moose-msd and I do not want to mess up the stamp. I do not suppose there is any worm dye without acetone is there?

Do the sample colors they show correlate in any way to what I would get on a white disc? Yes and no. They give an idea but plastic can be very unpredictable depending on the type, blend, time left soaking, etc.

I do not suppose there is any worm dye without acetone is there? None that I know of and yes it would definitely mess up the stamp.

Just to drop the names of some colors I like best so far from them, I would say Fuschia, Bright green, fluorescent yellow, Aqua blue, Violet, Turquoise...Others work well too. Only one I would say dont waste your time with is their Bright Pink. Its very pastel and doesnt mix easily like the other disperse dyes. Think it requires acetone or alcohol just to break it down to a decent mixture too. Fuschia is my favorite so far by them I would say though. Almost like a hot pink. You might be able to pull a hot pink off by mixing a tad of their Fluorescent yellow with the fuschia ;) Worked pretty good for me.

I asked Pylam for samples of the water soluble disperse powder in the following colors:

Fuschia
Pylaklor Fluorescent Coral
Fluorescent Yellow
Pylaklor Fluorescene
Pylaklor Fluorescent Green
Pylaklor Fluorescent Orange
Bright Green
Pylaklor Bright Yellow
Turquoise

(I was not sure how many they would send so I asked them to chop from the bottom of the list to get to an appropriate number.)

They responded -

..many of the products that you are requesting are not comprised of dyes that will work in your application. Dyes are formulated for very specific chemistries and applications, and some of the ones that you are looking for are not designed for coloring plastic...Pylaklor Fluorescene LX-1152 and Pylaklor Fluorescent Coral are dyes that will not work for coloring a golf disc. In addition, we do not have a fuchsia shade that is formulated with a dye that will color a golf disc.

They also sent a Disc Coloring Dyes sheet that listed the following colors:

Pylakrome Bright Pink FSB 100694
Pylam Disperse Bright Red FSB 11818
Pylaklor Orange FSB-9204
Pylam Bright Orange FSB-15003
Pylam Disperse Fluorescent Yellow FSB-15002
Pylam Bright Disperse Green FSB-15001
Pylaklor New Dark Blue FSB-677
Pylam Turquoise Blue FSB-10159
Pylam Disperse Aqua FSB-15000
Disperse Blue 1 FSB-65125
Pylam Red Violet FSB-9732
Pylam Disperse Violet FSB-10524
Pylam Synergy Brown FSB-11768
Acetamine Black FSB-10000
Pylam Disperse Black Ex Conc FSB-10223

I do not see any FSB-#### colors listed on the website. I called and asked where I could find a list of the colors offered in water soluble disperse powder and the representative indicated that is not how they have them listed.

I plan on contacting Aaron but want to get some advice here before I do so.

Odyssey113 stated he thought Pylam is a little confused about how we use these dyes so any advice on what to ask/tell them is appreciated .

Odyssey113 – do you have a number for the fuchsia they sent you?

it sounds like they are getting hip to so many of us asking for the free samples... maybe they are just getting to the point where they don't want us to test out any more options w/o making a few bucks. who knows. if it dyes synthetic fibers, aka polyester... its going to dye discs... ask them how many discs they have tested to come to those conclusions and then ask for your list again... but be as polite as possible in doing so.

it sounds like they are getting hip to so many of us asking for the free samples... maybe they are just getting to the point where they don't want us to test out any more options w/o making a few bucks. who knows. if it dyes synthetic fibers, aka polyester... its going to dye discs... ask them how many discs they have tested to come to those conclusions and then ask for your list again... but be as polite as possible in doing so.

They are getting hip to it. ;) Ive been dropping suggestions to Aaron along the way as much as possible. I've been meaning to contact Aaron for sometime now and speak about pricing, as I think they need to try to be a little more competitive on that, going on what they were pricing dyes out on that pricing sheet.

Also they haven't done any testing on discs. I doubt it. We are their testers. Lol :D Think they thought I was mad when I first contacted them. Like who the f%*k is this guy. Dyeing discs???

@Surly Bastage - Ill see what I can do on that. Ill take a look at the product numbers when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
This is completely unrelated to the Pylam discussion, but just wanted to throw it out there.

From doing the Mace, I noticed that IDye Turqoise mixed with IDye orange gave me a nice gold color, which I thought was strange.

I think they are just going by what they have been told by those who have contacted them.

The Disc Coloring Dyes sheet read:

DISC COLORING DYES
Pylam Products is proud to announce the introduction of a brand new product line designed for coloring Frisbees in a water-based solution. Some users have had great success with these dyes by adding them directly to uncolored hand soap and by using small amounts of acetone. All of these items are sold as either two ounce, or four ounce containers.

However, the email in which they sent the sheet stated:

I have attached a PDF showing many of the dyes that various people have sourced from us for coloring Frisbees and golf discs. We do not know how well all of these dyes have worked, especially since each person's dyeing process has been essentially kept a secret from us and the fact that each person seems to be dyeing different Frisbees/golf discs. Subsequently I cannot say if these or any other dyes will generate a "pastel" shade...

Newbie question - Do all water soluble disperse dyes work for this or are there different types of disperse dyes?

there are different ones. more specifically, idye... there is regular old idye, and it will NOT dye on discs. it is formulated for cotton and other NATURAL fibers. then there is idye POLY, which stands for polyester. as we all know, polyester is just a fancy term for plastic fiber... (yes, your polyester shirt, was once a plastic bottle, recycled and struned to become a thread in your shirt... and yes, recycling is sweet!:D)

when you are looking for a disperse dye, make sure it says it takes to synthetic fibers, and its an even safer step to make sure it says specifically, polyester fibers. as far as water vs oil soluble... i have yet to have any luck w an oil soluble disperse pigment, so keep on the safe side and do water only.

i hope this helps. welcome aboard!

here's what came with my samples:

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Scan1.jpg
    Scan1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 31
here's what came with my samples:

sadly i have had no time to experiment. however as stated earlier i did mix a 1% solution of the Bright Red and it came out more brick red. if it requires even a 2% solution, each 1oz. will make 4.5 quarts. the 16oz. minimum is likely the big deal breaker, even if other colors are vibrant as all hell.

Latest posts