• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

just got a reply back from pylam, so i have samples in the mail. guess i will finally have to get off my lazy butt and dye. (haven't done a dye in months....)

if I'm looking at $100 order out of the gate... i may not be making that order after all :thmbdown: too rich for my blood atm.

Maybe when you're ready let me know. I might go halvsies with ya. Im in Ann Arbor.

Also on the neb. Couple tips.

1. Laundry detergent mixed with dye for your dye mix
2. Dish gel for your base (dont make it too deep.Just enough to be a buffer)
3. Plate that fits the disc to a T (if at all possible)
4. Dont over blend. (Gotta go a little easier on it than shave cream. Like when flaring it out with the toothpick) little bit goes a long way.
5. Star plastic is choice for this method. Esp takes nice too

hope some of that might help...

i know i promised an update w my nebula, I've been busy and I'm about to go to work for the night... so no pics. but it is on my fb page in the for sale section. i think my bed was too deep and I'm going to mix straight dye powder w the laundry detergent next time, instead of droppers full of my mix that is already diluted into water.

oddyssey, ill let you know, but before i order, i need to make sure i dial in the colors I'm looking for...

i got my pylam today, and I'm shocked as to how intensive they are w this process, quite nice. however, I'm worried these colors are going to be the same old duo idye hues i already have... i want the bright florecents I'm seeing... do i have to go w the worm dip to use it? i do a lot of marble dye/spider dye/stencil dye... id like to offer this nebula too, if i can lock in the proper technique. can i get these magenta's and bright neon colors from prochem? can you choose the colors you get in their sample pack or are you married to the ones listed?

i know i promised an update w my nebula, I've been busy and I'm about to go to work for the night... so no pics. but it is on my fb page in the for sale section. i think my bed was too deep and I'm going to mix straight dye powder w the laundry detergent next time, instead of droppers full of my mix that is already diluted into water.

oddyssey, ill let you know, but before i order, i need to make sure i dial in the colors I'm looking for...

i got my pylam today, and I'm shocked as to how intensive they are w this process, quite nice. however, I'm worried these colors are going to be the same old duo idye hues i already have... i want the bright florecents I'm seeing... do i have to go w the worm dip to use it? i do a lot of marble dye/spider dye/stencil dye... id like to offer this nebula too, if i can lock in the proper technique. can i get these magenta's and bright neon colors from prochem? can you choose the colors you get in their sample pack or are you married to the ones listed?

Nah man. I wouldn't say that. Just depends what colors you requested. The one you said you liked of mine a few pages back, was all done with pylam for the non-spin sections of the disc. My favorites so far for neon'ish colors from them are fuschia, bright green, and flourescent yellow. They have a nice purple too. There is no way I could of achieved those type of neons using idye. Keep in mind all of my pylam dyes are also mixed with the prochemicals additives. It might have something to do with it. Not sure. I haven't really tested without. You can also make that bright green even brighter too mixing in a little bit of their fluorescent yellow. Just gotta play around with em and see what works best for what you're trying to achieve.

have you used their "color creator"? I'm thinking about getting more samples, and just asking flat out for neon type colors. ill be ordering the additives in a min.

have you used their "color creator"? I'm thinking about getting more samples, and just asking flat out for neon type colors. ill be ordering the additives in a min.

I have not. All the colors I have currently I had requested thru Aaron. Also on the additives, you get everything you need in the sampler pack w/ prochemicals. Just a tip in case you wanna give their dyes a go as well. Think you get like a 1/2 oz of 6 colors plus the nsc dye carrier and synthrapol, for round $20 bucks. A little bit of the additives go a long way.

I have not. All the colors I have currently I had requested thru Aaron. Also on the additives, you get everything you need in the sampler pack w/ prochemicals. Just a tip in case you wanna give their dyes a go as well. Think you get like a 1/2 oz of 6 colors plus the nsc dye carrier and synthrapol, for round $20 bucks. A little bit of the additives go a long way.

their kit cost me just over 16$ and thats including the shipping. I'm looking forward to using them.

just got my Pylam samples in. has anyone figured out the ratio of dye to water/oil for dip dyes and soap for painting yet?

I think Odyssey posted his ratios a couple of times. Not sure anybody has posted a good ratio for painting with it yet though.

nope. just went through the whole thread. only posted ratios were for prochemicals.
the directions that came with my samples state to "prepare a 5% solution in the appropriate solvent using the same chart and compare to a standard made in the same manner."
since I don't have a scale that measures mg I guess I'm going to have to measure it in volume and go from there.

also, has anyone used the oil soluble dyes? the bright pink they sent is oil soluble (while the rest are water soluble)

nope. just went through the whole thread. only posted ratios were for prochemicals.
the directions that came with my samples state to "prepare a 5% solution in the appropriate solvent using the same chart and compare to a standard made in the same manner."
since I don't have a scale that measures mg I guess I'm going to have to measure it in volume and go from there.

also, has anyone used the oil soluble dyes? the bright pink they sent is oil soluble (while the rest are water soluble)

i mixed all of my samples to the ratio he specified on page 13 i think it was... worked just fine. i have more time to play w dyes on monday and tuesday nights because I'm off work then, and home. i plan to test the oil pink tomorrow.

From page 14:

Thanks man. I am really happy with that one. I found the page where I posted some of my mix ratio's with the prochemicals additives and so forth, but I have since revised them to be mixed by the 1 pint mason jar. I have been adding these additives to all my dyes since I discovered them. So just so you know, all my pylam dyes were mixed with the prochemicals solutions as well. It may have something to do with the colors, it may not. I have just been using them regardless. Seems to work quite well though so far. Myself and a few others have purchased the prochemicals disperse dye sampler pack. It includes the additives listed below (minus vinegar).

I have been mixing the following (in this order):

1. apprx. 1 pint of water warmed up but not boiling
2. 1/2 tspn dye carrier nsc
3. 4-6 drops synthrapol
4. 1/2 tspn white vinegar
5. 3 tspn of dye powder

I then simmer and stir the dye for a little while on a low temperature. Just enough to help it dissolve all the way. Then I just put the dye back into my mason jars to use as needed.

yeah, i saw that. i was wondering about the ratios of just Pylam to water and oil. guess i'll just figure it out myself.

yeah, i saw that. i was wondering about the ratios of just Pylam to water and oil. guess i'll just figure it out myself.

I know the bright pink you are referring to. I havent fully tested it yet but I think it needs to be dissolved in a solvent first like rubbing alcohol or acetone. I didnt really like the shade of that pink so I didnt bother testing it further. Also keep in mind I think pylam is a little confused about how we use these dyes. I wouldn't mix any oil with it personally. Your welcome to experiment as you wish with that dye, I just cant offer a lot of advice with that particular dye. I would say try to tell them next time you order you only want water soluble disperse dyes. That should keep it a little more straight forward.

Latest posts