• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Earliest active DGCR member... besides Timg

UPM (which I think stood for Under Par Mikey) was a frequently banned member of the PDGA message board. However, he really wasn't a troll in the DGCR-sense of banned members. He's a real guy (whose name I forget, Mike Kernan maybe?) who was an active golfer in Louisiana? Someplace like that. Anyway, he had a beef with the PDGA and went on anti-PDGA tirades on the PDGA message board. Not surprisingly, the PDGA didn't care for that. So he got banned. A lot.

I don't really recall the details, though. I do remember he was running for the PDGA BoD and banned from the PDGA message board at the same time, which was epic. Pat Brenner was on the BoD and used to stir up the message board as well. It seemed like the PDGA didn't really have a handle on using social media, Brian Hoeniger was the PDGA Executive Director and he used to go on the message board and try to bully people. It was breathtakingly unprofessional, but the attacks he generally were responding to could get nasty and personal as well. It was a huge mess. We have had our moments here, but nothing as messy as the old PDGA message board.

It was all new, though. The Interwebz was new and people had to learn how to control all that flow of information and disinformation. I don't really fault the people involved, 'cause I was a pretty big-mouthed know-it-all in the Internet back then as well (even bigger than I am now, if you can believe that.) We all had to learn how to make this work.

All your facts and guesses are accurate. Sure was fun back in the day stirring it up at pdga.com. Yes, I did often get banned on purpose in the name of free speech; but free speech is so out of style now with the rise of the NSA.

Believe it or not, the PDGA actually took a couple of my suggestions despite all the craziness, and I don't have a big axe to grind with them anymore, with the exception of anything they do with the Doosler.

I'll be signing autographs at the Pro Worlds in Portland if anyone's interested :)

I used to be more active as an early member (#2157) when there were fewer people on the forums. But now with so many people, threads are longer, topics are more numerous...I would have to get on the site everyday to keep up. I still get on and browse, but don't post nearly as much. The thing I love most about this site is the course locator and tracker; keeping track of courses played, scores, the chance to review them, ect. I still love this site/forum, but there are so many more people these days.

This is quite interesting, and I would like to thank all of you for shRing the history!
Please, continue...

a-winner-is-you1.gif

Here's another good thread about DGCR history.

AND THAT'S MY 10,000th POST!

*confetti falls from ceiling*

*nobody cares*

LOL
Congrats man

Reminded me of going over the 100,000 mile mark on the odometer on my rig
Ram100000b_zpsca80afbc.jpg

and then rolling her over on the black ice on the way to work
2004dodgeramblackaccident_zps88db7cf2.jpg

While you were taking a pic of the odometer?

No, I rolled it a few days later. Those Cummins were just getting "broken in":thmbup: at 100,000. I planned on taking pics at 200,000 / 300,000 / 400,000 etc, but it just wasn't in the cards for this one. I bought another one almost identical but ended up selling it too.

As far as dgcr..
#2776 here
Didn't know this place existed until tim posted the dgcr club on discgolfersR.us website. I never had to go back to the pdga course directory again. :thmbup: I lurked at dgr for a while and never really noticed tims inital dgcr post on there because I was more into the technique and disc review sections. I guess I would qualify as a lurker here since I don't post as much as I read.

Latest posts