• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elaine Kings leaves Discraft due to not receiving a signature disc

BlazedOrangeHat

Par Member
News article here: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/09/20/words-elaine-king/

How hilarious is this!?!

Val Jenkins bashed innova for not giving her a signature disc and then pranced over to discraft last year... now less than a year later Elaine King leaves discraft for the exact same reason... not enough recognition and no signature disc.

and in between both of these events, Austin Turner of Discraft gets a signature disc! where was val crying when austin got a signature disc? why isn't val leaving discraft with elaine king!?

blah blah womens rights, sexism, blah blah.

i find it interesting how Elaine King strictly calls it all business saying she hasn't met Discraft's terms of earning a signature disc and doesn't bring up Women's Rights at all...

...yet crazy feminist Val Jenkins made it all a Women's issue and said she was only treated that way because she was a woman.

If I were a pro, I would just be grateful to have someone sponsoring me. IMO it sounds like they're acting a little spoiled.

The truth is that Val created a media whorl-wind (okay, for us that would be a tempest in a teapot) that brought a bunch of attention with her when she moved to Discraft. Her move got their attention. But Elaine is correct. I recognize her, JK, Des Reading and some of the current top females as easily as I recognize any of the men. Their names carry weight.

Would I go out of my way to watch a video of them? No, I will, but I don't make near the effort that I do for the top males. That means they bring less attention to advertising. With the assumption that advertising matters, then I question their value.

As for selling signature discs. I'd really like to have someone do a real survey on the impact. I buy Nate Doss Buzzes, but cripes, try getting a titanium buzz without his name on it. I don't buy Paul McBeth Destroyers, cause I buy GStar and that taint his plastic. Meh.

News article here: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/09/20/words-elaine-king/

How hilarious is this!?!

Val Jenkins bashed innova for not giving her a signature disc and then pranced over to discraft last year... now less than a year later Elaine King leaves discraft for the exact same reason... not enough recognition and no signature disc.

and in between both of these events, Austin Turner of Discraft gets a signature disc! where was val crying when austin got a signature disc? why isn't val leaving discraft with elaine king!?

blah blah womens rights, sexism, blah blah.

It is not hilarious at all.

Did you even read the article? Elaine clearly explained that the lack of a signature disc was the symptom of lack of recognition. In addition, she explained that it was the fact hat the relationship between Discraft and her has changed since the founders are less involved in the day to day operations. She described the change as going from friendship to business.

You brought up Val Jenkins when she had nothing to do with the article you linked. Did you spew all that nonsense just to denigrate women's rights and sexism? Pretty sad commentary on your perspective.

Val's issue WAS because she was a woman (she was denied equal treatment to the male World Champs on Innova's roster). So is Elaine's, at least in part. She just chose not to make it a gender issue in her statements. Her prerogative, of course, but that doesn't mean gender wasn't a factor somewhere along the way.

She's been with Discraft forever and won FIVE World titles with their plastic but for whatever reason never met Discraft's criteria for getting a signature disc. That's fine. I imagine the straw that broke her back was Val signing with Discraft and immediately getting a tour series signature disc. And then Discraft gave Tour Series discs to Austin Turner, Michael Jo, and Tim Barham too. None of them have won World Championships throwing Discraft discs. Seems like a bit of disrespect that a World champ, male or female, on the team wouldn't get something as well.

And it's not even the first time Discraft's overlooked her. Back in 2000, Discraft put out a limited set of signature discs honoring three of their players: Ron Russell (1999 World Champ), Scott Stokely (distance world record holder) and Juliana Korver (3X, at the time, Women's World Champ). Conspicuously absent from the set was 5X World Champ Elaine King.

Elaine's name carries much more recognition to me than Tim Barham. No offense to Tim but I couldn't pick him out of a line up, while I would know who Elaine is the second I saw her. It may be my regional bias as I play mostly in western NY (Her old touring area before she moved south) and North Carolina where she is very well known, between her number of world titles and the positive role modeling she constantly displays I would think her name on a disc would be marketable. I just don't see her as any less regionally relevant then Tim B. who has his own Cranks. What has Tim B won that is on the same level as multiple FPO titles? (really don't know if someone can enlighten, and again no offense Tim if you read this)

Elaine seems like smart person. It's a business move and she's not whining. Now that she can play more, why not try to find a situation that doesn't make her frustrated.

I get Discraft's side...since I've only got into the sport in the last 5 years I'd heard of her but not seen her play until recently. Her name/history carries the weight, not her current marketability to newer players. Of course if she keeps playing a lot and getting on tourney footage that will boost her value. Makes sense both ways.

Why a company wouldn't just make a tour stamped disc of stuff that's already pressed, instead of costing them a player, I don't really get though.

Elaine seems like a really nice lady and I wish her the best. I'm under the impression that she doesn't tour much outside of her region so comparing her to Val is a bit apples to oranges. I'd be bothered if I got as much exposure for DG and women's DG as Val and couldn't get a sig disc too whereas I could see how Elaine didn't get DC enough brand exposure to warrant a sig disc. Since I'm not privy to contract details that's all I can really say.

I can't imagine Elaine not throwing a Comet.

The good thing is that if she's going to be unsponsored as she claims (and I have no doubt that she will), she can keep throwing her Comets all she wants.

To anybody and any company following this, Elaine King is one of the classiest people I have met - with or without of Disc Golf.
If ANYBODY would be a great catch for sponsorship, it's Elaine King.
Somebody go and get her fast!!

Val's issue WAS because she was a woman (she was denied equal treatment to the male World Champs on Innova's roster). So is Elaine's, at least in part. She just chose not to make it a gender issue in her statements. Her prerogative, of course, but that doesn't mean gender wasn't a factor somewhere along the way.

She's been with Discraft forever and won FIVE World titles with their plastic but for whatever reason never met Discraft's criteria for getting a signature disc. That's fine. I imagine the straw that broke her back was Val signing with Discraft and immediately getting a tour series signature disc. And then Discraft gave Tour Series discs to Austin Turner, Michael Jo, and Tim Barham too. None of them have won World Championships throwing Discraft discs. Seems like a bit of disrespect that a World champ, male or female, on the team wouldn't get something as well.

And it's not even the first time Discraft's overlooked her. Back in 2000, Discraft put out a limited set of signature discs honoring three of their players: Ron Russell (1999 World Champ), Scott Stokely (distance world record holder) and Juliana Korver (3X, at the time, Women's World Champ). Conspicuously absent from the set was 5X World Champ Elaine King.

The bolded seems to contradict. It does not seem her complaint about lack of respect has anything to do with gender bias.

I actually got to witness Elaine hit the top of the basket on an 800 foot downhill hole during warmups for the 2003 Worlds in Arizona, and she's a heck of a competitor. I agree that it's odd that she had no sig disc instead of the 2nd-tier pros at Discraft that do.

That being said, i think I may have vomited in my mouth a little after reading the article. Which is my own fault---I really should find better ways to spend the rest of my time on this planet than reading articles about disc golfers and their sponsorship drama.

To anybody and any company following this, Elaine King is one of the classiest people I have met - with or without of Disc Golf.

I agree- always great to see Elaine (and Eric as well). Personally I believe (and hope) she will forego further sponsorship- it's not like she needs it and it is a potential conflict of interest with her new position on the Board. I would like to see the other sponsored board members (McCoy and Heinold to my knowledge) do the same.

One interesting outcome of this is:

(from her Ultiworld article)
Coincidentally, PDGA board members have been wooing me all year to join the board. Although I did not run for election due to the uncertainty with my work situation, I now find myself in a position where I will be able to commit time to serve PDGA members and was thrilled to be appointed to the PDGA board.