• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elk Mtn: Somebody is a liar

I played it yesterday too. I actually just PM'd reposado, agreeing with his post. Tons of overgrowth and stinging nettles. The signs mostly just pissed you off. They reminded me of this old Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm where a local gives directions that make no sense to the guy who actually needs the directions. The baskets are trash. I had been thinking I'd just update the current conditions instead of giving it a 2.5. I've played it twice before over the past few years. It's changed in part, and it's just completely overgrown. I may try again this winter.

On the upside there's a ropes course that ran through there. I climbed up and took a break and that was pretty awesome. Above the gnats. And the cafe (which I hear is no longer associated) has a full beer bar with about 10 brews. The IPA was really very good.

Also played catawba meadows and sawmills yesterday. I think the guys who have posted here so far are charlotte-area guys. I love charlotte courses but I'd put sawmills up against any one of them. Great golf. The only downside - all par 3s and you never get near that beautiful lake (Chester SC is the same way, I guess the course wasn't allowed to encroach)

I saw that. I assume that he posted his review yesterday but played it a while ago and didn't bother adjusting the played date.

although really, i can't imagine how long ago it must have been for the fairways to have been clear. i could see playable a month ago, but not clear.

Last edited:
The great folks that own and run Blind Squirrel Brewing Co and Vance Toe River Lodge have sold the campground and property where Elk Mtn DGC are located. I was up there last week and changed the course conditions for the Plumtree DGC to closed after spending some time with the owners. It is closed this season as they are in the middle of a massive expansion of their brewery in a 100+ year old mill building next door to the lodge. They hope to reopen it for next season.

I did not go up to Elk Mtn to check it out this time, but the description (if not the conditions based on above posts) definitely needs to be changed. It is no longer affiliated with the lodge thus checking in and paying down there is not how you go about playing the course now since the ownership change.

Good to know. They certainly didn't tell me it was closed for the season. They said "ya got five bucks? Okay it's open."
Actually there was an attendant who seemed only there to check in disc golfers. Which was shocking because it's middle of nowhere and no one else was there. Crazy that I get home and 2 other guys say they've played same day.

Does anyone know if the shorter 18 hole course is still open? If it's still run by Will? I would return to a course he was running, I'd need some convincing to come back to a course this new group is running.

snip..

I did not go up to Elk Mtn to check it out this time, but the description (if not the conditions based on above posts) definitely needs to be changed. It is no longer affiliated with the lodge thus checking in and paying down there is not how you go about playing the course now since the ownership change.

yes it should. though they do still give directions.

Good to know. They certainly didn't tell me it was closed for the season. They said "ya got five bucks? Okay it's open."
Actually there was an attendant who seemed only there to check in disc golfers. Which was shocking because it's middle of nowhere and no one else was there. Crazy that I get home and 2 other guys say they've played same day.

Does anyone know if the shorter 18 hole course is still open? If it's still run by Will? I would return to a course he was running, I'd need some convincing to come back to a course this new group is running.

so strange. im guessing three is more than they get most weeks at this point. three posters is insanely unlikely

Ya gotta believe the Trusted Reviewer...

Has anyone tried to contact tnscboy to hear his side of the story: when he played the course, if he's not confusing it with another course, etc.? You also look at LeeLK's review from when he played in May, and it makes you wonder whether a course could go downhill that quickly?

The course is such a hike from any other course in that area that you would want accurate information conveyed on this site to ensure that nobody is driving far out of his/her way to attempt a round here.

Maybe my post was confusing. The shorter 18 hole course that is at the site of the lodge/brewery is closed for the season. That is the course that I updated the conditions for to reflect as being closed, called Plumtree on this site I believe.

As stated above, the folks at the Vance Toe Lodge will definitely still direct you to the Elk Mtn course but no longer have affiliation. I did not go up there this time, just settled in for a few pints and some great conversation at the lodge, hoping the shorter course gets reopened for next season.

Has anyone tried to contact tnscboy to hear his side of the story: when he played the course, if he's not confusing it with another course, etc.? You also look at LeeLK's review from when he played in May, and it makes you wonder whether a course could go downhill that quickly?

The course is such a hike from any other course in that area that you would want accurate information conveyed on this site to ensure that nobody is driving far out of his/her way to attempt a round here.

I had heard it was closed and was planning a road trip up that way soon so I pm'd him right after he posted the review. He said he stayed up there last week and that all was well.

i thought about that. being in the mountains, i could see the course being still in winter mode in may. with the real growth happening over the summer. it was probably in the process of being taken over by may but not yet to the point where someone who wasnt familiar with the course would really notice something as being wrong. i doubt that it resembled the pictures at that point though.

the kind of plants that have grown in for the most part are weeds. the kind that need to be constantly pulled in gardens. they grow fast, and apparently, high. if you look at the pictures, it seems as if even off-fairway, there is really no underbrush. so whatever has come in this summer has come in evenly on both fairway and non-fairway. (that's what makes it so difficult to play, and what makes the previous maintenance seem that much more impressive)

I had heard it was closed and was planning a road trip up that way soon so I pm'd him right after he posted the review. He said he stayed up there last week and that all was well.

now that seems impossible. they dont grow that fast

The Elk Mountain course was closed last summer because Will couldn't maintain it and spend the necessary time at the brewery and restaurant. The WNC disc golf club came up this spring to work for a weekend, but not sure which course they worked on. In order for a private NC mountain course to be playable, 3 weed-eating sessions are required during the growing season. Just not enough traffic to beat down the weeds. If that's not happening it will be a jungle. The campground and dg course were sold and I'm sure that the new owners were caught off-guard by the weed growth.
The good news is that the Blind Squirrel brewery is fantastic ! Well worth the trip,whether you play disc golf or not.

Last edited:
The Elk Mountain course was closed last summer because Will couldn't maintain it and spend the necessary time at the brewery and restaurant. The WNC disc golf club came up this spring to work for a weekend, but not sure which course they worked on. In order for a private NC mountain course to be playable, 3 weed-eating sessions are required during the growing season. Just not enough traffic to beat down the weeds. If that's not happening it will be a jungle. The campground and dg course were sold and I'm sure that the new owners were caught off-guard by the weed growth.
The good news is that the Blind Squirrel brewery is fantastic ! Well worth the trip,whether you play disc golf or not.

What do you know about keeping up an nc mountain course :p

If you ever get sugree back up and running let me know! I'd love to come up and give it another go.

I love charlotte courses but I'd put sawmills up against any one of them. Great golf. The only downside - all par 3s and you never get near that beautiful lake (Chester SC is the same way, I guess the course wasn't allowed to encroach)

As you surmised, they had to keep a certain distance from the lake at Sawmills.

It appears I should have gotten up to Elk Mountain sooner. :doh:

I played it yesterday too. I actually just PM'd reposado, agreeing with his post. Tons of overgrowth and stinging nettles. The signs mostly just pissed you off. They reminded me of this old Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm where a local gives directions that make no sense to the guy who actually needs the directions. The baskets are trash. I had been thinking I'd just update the current conditions instead of giving it a 2.5. I've played it twice before over the past few years. It's changed in part, and it's just completely overgrown. I may try again this winter.

On the upside there's a ropes course that ran through there. I climbed up and took a break and that was pretty awesome. Above the gnats. And the cafe (which I hear is no longer associated) has a full beer bar with about 10 brews. The IPA was really very good.

Also played catawba meadows and sawmills yesterday. I think the guys who have posted here so far are charlotte-area guys. I love charlotte courses but I'd put sawmills up against any one of them. Great golf. The only downside - all par 3s and you never get near that beautiful lake (Chester SC is the same way, I guess the course wasn't allowed to encroach)

See my review of Sawmills. There is plenty of downsides. I talked with some of the designers and they agree...there are issues. They have some work to do to meet the standard of a great course.
1. Fairways that start wide then narrow at the end leaving almost no putting green on tight wooded fairways. Often with hidden guard trees in the narrowing "airway"
2. Teepads that are very short and stop with 5-10' drop offs straight down.
3. Crossing fairways 7 interferes with 16 and 15's basket is a really issue.
4. Trees cut were dragged just off the tight fairways leaving a lot of bad footing areas.
5. Key retaining walls, under teepad supports(build up) and BRIDGES built with pine longs. Pine is one of the quickest degrading wood. There are few tee pads that will become see-saws (or break under weight) in just a few years as these logs rot.

Course was a good one, I really enjoyed it, but there are some real safety concerns that need to be addresssed.

1978 - Buzzkill. Sawmills was awesome. The fact that it's built on pine just means that - like the mountain courses - folks should play it while they can.
The drop-offs are pretty terrifying, you're right about that. There's the tee pad, a ten foot drop, and then you'd roll down a mountain. I don't think falling would kill you but you'd break a bunch of bones for sure.
Sawmills actually reminded me a lot of Stumpy Creek, another overlooked but awesome course.

Anyway with Elk Mtn and Sugaree currently unplayable, I need another mountain disc golf daytrip destination. Preferably within about 2 hours of Charlotte. I'm thinking Grand Central and Chattooga Belle in SC. If anyone has insight/advice on a trip in that area, please let me know.

See my review of Sawmills. There is plenty of downsides. I talked with some of the designers and they agree...there are issues. They have some work to do to meet the standard of a great course.
1. Fairways that start wide then narrow at the end leaving almost no putting green on tight wooded fairways. Often with hidden guard trees in the narrowing "airway"

Mind elaborating on this? I agree with you but I don't know why. I've never liked holes that taper at the end.

Sawmills SUCKS in comparison to EVERYTHING in Charlotte... just sayin.
DSCJNKY

Latest posts