• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Encountering casuals throwing while a tournament is in play

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
This past weekend, I came across a casual player throwing while a tournament was going on. I could tell that he was a newer player. He was only carrying two discs. A Nuke OS and a Buzzz. Now, the discs that he had didn't let me know that he was at the sport. It was the way he was throwing. Lol. It led me to believe one of two things. He didn't know the etiquette of trying to get a round in while a tournament was going on, or he just didn't care that a tournament was going on. I'm curious to know how other people have handled the situation when they've encountered it.

It really depends on whether the TD has actually reserved the course. If they have, then I'll politely tell the casual that the course is closed for the tournament, and give them directions to another local course. If the course isn't reserved, I'll tell them that they are going to be in for a really long round and that people likely won't let them play through with a tournament on. Either way, it's not worth getting mad about, you're going to be waiting in a tournament setting anyway. Being polite and friendly is more likely to get them to stay out of the way and maybe even get interested in the next tourney that comes around. When I've seen people get angry, it just encourages the casuals to keep playing out of spite.

Depending on the situation, it can be worked out. As Mash said, it depends on whether the TD actually reserved the course or not, as well as the attitudes of those involved.

I've actually been the casual playing through a tourney while visiting a course away from home. Granted, there weren't players on every hole, but I made it a point to stay out of people's way and some were happy to let me to play through... think they were watching me as a "wind dummy."

Sounds like the chance to play the ambassador role. Friendly education and enthusiasm will likely make a lasting impression on the nube. Play your role well enough, maybe you will see him out there for the next tournament or for league. For anyone looking to "move the game to the next level", here is the primary step.

I had that happen last weekend. An older fella and his grandson (I'm assuming) walked up with 2 discs each and we just happened to be right by the parking lot. I walked over and let them know what was going on, and gave them directions to a much more beginner friendly course in town. Everybody wins.

Invite them to join you, and then covert them to the cause.

I had some real nice conversation with a group from the Kalamazoo area last weekend during a local tournament in Ft Myers. They were down here on vacation and wanted to get some dg in. They followed us around very paitently, and we remenicised about the old IL, IN and MI courses.

I've unfortunately done this once, myself. I played through the 2006 Wintertime Open. I saw the signs but I was of the opinion that "It's a public park, you can't reserve it". I played my 1 round and then left due to it being too much of a pain in the ass to deal with all the traffic. Whoops :p

First off, I've played in lots of tourneys, I am familiar with the scene. Now for the story. One time I was out of town checking out a course that happened to have a tourney going on. It was lunch break for them, and no one was on the course. So I played a quick round, with the girl I was dating walking along, who didn't know much about DG. Then we decided to follow the top open card at the beginning of the 2nd round, just so she could see how the tourney scene goes, and I wanted to check out how they threw a couple of the holes I'd just played. We were just quietly meandering along aways behind them. Rather than ignore us, they were complete rude and condescending jackasses to us, going out of their way to approach us and tell us "course is closed to casuals" even though they hadn't even seen me throw a disc. Maybe they were too nervous to play with a two person gallery. :\

People will be ignorant and we can talk about it on the internet

Early in my disc golf experience I played on a course with a smallish event going on. Cards on less than half the holes. Just my bud and me playing fast no issue. But I saw a young couple with a DX starter set get chased off the course by tourney players. I barely noticed at the time, years later as I became involved in the community and growing the sport I look back on this as a lesson in what not to do.

Flip side of that; last fall I try to inform a large family group of about 8 with young kids there is an event going on and they should expect a lot of people to play through them. They begrudgingly let us play through, then curse us out behind our backs in front of their kids.

So here's a 'what if?' scenario... What do you do when you're playing doubles/leagues (so course is not reserved - assuming 7 or 8 groups out on the course) and a twosome/single wants to play through?

So here's a 'what if?' scenario... What do you do when you're playing doubles/leagues (so course is not reserved - assuming 7 or 8 groups out on the course) and a twosome/single wants to play through?

#1 Let them play through
#2 Inform them that there are 6 holes backed up (if this is true, which it is in our case), and they are better off teeing from #14 (abstract tee)

Usually, at one course, this happens during our mini season. I tell them to skip to #5, which is easy to reach, and they will be in front of everyone. Just be honest, if there are 4-6 holes with 4-somes on them, then no, they can't skip ahead just to be held behind, inform them of the event. But be polite about it.

Let them play through. And assuming that other doubles/league groups are in front of you and them, give them a heads up as to what's going on and what to expect as they play.

There's absolutely no reason not to let a smaller/faster group play through if they're not part of the league. Tournament rules don't apply to them since they're not playing the tournament. I'd say the same thing applies for tournaments in which the course is not closed or full of groups. If there's room for a casual group, so long as they're aware and courteous about things, let them play.

I usually let casuals go through whenever possible. I'd rather not have them in the group behind me. Its nothing personal but having people throw down on you when your putting is not fun.

Seems trivial.

If they are fast and waiting on you, let them play through as easily as possible.

Just because its doubles/league doesn't mean the rules of good ettiquette go out the window. IF you have the course reserved, then you have a leg to stand on in terms of 'enforcing your pace of play.'

I don't like encountering casuals no matter if it's tournament or not.

I really hope you are being sarcastic or that this statement is a failed attempt at humor. Otherwise it is arrogant and selfish even by dgcr standards.

If this is how you truly feel, please build your own course that you and only you play. Us casuals don't want to encounter you either.

As many others have stated - if you have the course reserved then you can make the rules. If you don't , then they have as much of a right to be there as you.

Either way, being courteous is the way to go. If you're a D-bag, it'll come back around to you at some point.

I really hope you are being sarcastic or that this statement is a failed attempt at humor. Otherwise it is arrogant and selfish even by dgcr standards.

If this is how you truly feel, please build your own course that you and only you play. Us casuals don't want to encounter you either.

Guilty as charged, Captain Serious.

#1 Let them play through
#2 Inform them that there are 6 holes backed up (if this is true, which it is in our case), and they are better off teeing from #14 (abstract tee)

^this