• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing with your dog ideas?

BWoody

I just moved to a new area and since I don't know any players, I want to take my dog (Buck). He loves going and he is pretty well trained....but as soon as I throw, he is off and running because he is a frisbee chasin' dog. That's fine on an empty wooded course, but I don't want to be that guy with the loose annoying dog on the course.
What do you guys do? I tried tying him to my bag, but he's too strong....some courses do have a hook on the Tee sign pole, but most courses don't. Any ideas?

BTW he can be a valuable part of my game. A while ago on a 380 uphill hole, I yanked my up-shot into a bunch of sticker bushes 30 ft to the right of the basket. That's pretty much an automatic Bogie. So I'm looking everywhere in the thicket and can't find the disc. Buck comes over and leads me over to the basket....where there is my disc laying right under the basket! Easy Par! 😂 Thank you boy! So I don't know exactly where the rules stand on this, but I could probably beat anybody if I could use Buck as my caddy.. IMG_20190323_115041996 (2).jpg

Train him to never chase discs or don't bring him at all. If I see a dog running at my disc we're going to talk if it's running at me or especially my wife that's going to be a big vet bill.

Some people have had enough violent dog expierences that no matter how well behaved he is they will tell you to leash it or leave.

Does anybody read the post all the way through? I'm obviously asking how to keep him on leash so I can throw - "but I don't want to be that guy with the loose annoying dog on the course".
Thanks anyway......

Yeah, I read it and stand by what I posted.

It was not clear to me from your post that you don't know how to keep your dog on a leash.

Now that you made that clear, keep your dog at home.

Add a carabiner to your leash so you can quickly secure and release to/from the tee sign post or trees near the teepad.
Ah, like one of those big ones at Home Depot? Now there's a good idea, I think that'll work! Will try it...
And thank you for a civil reply!

The hooks on the tee signs are there to hold bags (like sling bags), and may not be strong enough to hold a dog. If you are going to to hook your dog to those, make sure the sign's pole is strong enough that your dog won't pull it out, bend it, or damage it in some way.

The bigger issue is what happens when there's no tee sign with hooks? Like on second shots or putts? How will you keep your dog in place?

You say you play alone, how will the dog act with others? Will it chase my disc and possibly chew on it or grab it and bring it back? And what if I'm getting ready to throw and your dog is running around on the fairway since you threw first?

My suggestion, and it's not being mean, is train your dog to 'sit and stay' at your command. It can be a lot of work, but I had a dog that was trained to 'sit and stay' and would remain in that position until I said "okay, up". I could even walk away, go out of sight, and come back....the dog would still be there awaiting my command.

^I only played solo with the dog a few times, but I would stand on the leash with my plant foot for putts and approaches if there wasn't something convenient to tie off to.

I just moved to a new area and since I don't know any players, I want to take my dog (Buck). He loves going and he is pretty well trained....but as soon as I throw, he is off and running because he is a frisbee chasin' dog. That's fine on an empty wooded course, but I don't want to be that guy with the loose annoying dog on the course.
What do you guys do? I tried tying him to my bag, but he's too strong....some courses do have a hook on the Tee sign pole, but most courses don't. Any ideas?

BTW he can be a valuable part of my game. A while ago on a 380 uphill hole, I yanked my up-shot into a bunch of sticker bushes 30 ft to the right of the basket. That's pretty much an automatic Bogie. So I'm looking everywhere in the thicket and can't find the disc. Buck comes over and leads me over to the basket....where there is my disc laying right under the basket! Easy Par! 😂 Thank you boy! So I don't know exactly where the rules stand on this, but I could probably beat anybody if I could use Buck as my caddy.. View attachment 321671

I'm a dog guy. If he is a frisbee chasing dog, it is not a good idea to bring him to a disc golf course. It will only be torture for the dog, and potentially cause problems with other players / park goers. When I had my dogs, I would set aside some time and crappy discs and bring them to a place when the could chase discs to their hearts delight.

To the people threatening to hurt dogs, sit down. Why do you think you or your wife are in any danger?

1. According to CDC dog bite statistics, more than 4.5 million people report being bitten by dogs each year in the United States.
  2. More than 800,000 people per year report requiring medical attention for their dog bites.
  3. About 30–50 people are killed by dogs each year. In 2020, 46 people were killed.
  4. Children are the most common victims of dog bites.

Most Dog Bites Occur with a Known Dog, in a Familiar Place

• Most dog bites affecting young children occur during everyday activities and while interacting with familiar dogs (CDC).
• The vast majority of biting dogs (77%) belong to the victim's family or a friend (CDC).
• 80% of dog bites happen at home. (Kahn et al (2004) Miller and Howell (2007).

The most annoying thing, after a loose dog or one that does not have an owner that cleans up.....is the guy screaming at a dog for a round.
No kidding, I don't know how many times I've heard some knucklehead yelling at his dog running around the course. That's when the dog controls the owner.

I've always had friendly dogs come up to me and I'll take the time to pet them. On my remote home course there are a few lovely lady owners walking the course with their dogs, that I've seen several times and have developed a greeting friendship (know each other's names) petting their dogs. Only once has there been an overly friendly dog jumping up and down on me where I had to ask the player owner to get him off me.

Virginia Beach has leash laws at the parks warned at parking, and I've seen Animal Control ticket players with a fine allowing their dogs to run around on the course. I've only seen the tickets on the city course.

Why should a disc golf course be different from a baseball diamond, a football field, a hockey rink, a ball golf course, an archery range? People don't bring their dogs with them, or expect their dogs will be welcomed in those sports venues. Why should disc golf be different? Because it's in a park? Yeah, so is a pool, and I don't want to swim with dogs.

If you can be reasonably sure that you'll be alone on the course, be my guest. Otherwise.... don't. Just don't.

I'm a dog guy. If he is a frisbee chasing dog, it is not a good idea to bring him to a disc golf course. It will only be torture for the dog, and potentially cause problems with other players / park goers. When I had my dogs, I would set aside some time and crappy discs and bring them to a place when the could chase discs to their hearts delight.

To the people threatening to hurt dogs, sit down. Why do you think you or your wife are in any danger?
Thousands of hours of infastructure field work and dozens of interactions with dog owners who don't train their big ass dogs are why I know I am in danger if I let my guard down. Every single person who does field work at my job has been bit.

I have had the oh he doesn't bite smug shit while working and against my better judgement I turned my back and immediately ended up with multiple puncture wounds on my leg. I'll spare you my rant about how irritating home surgery is with hot water and CA glue.

Thousands of hours of infastructure field work and dozens of interactions with dog owners who don't train their big ass dogs are why I know I am in danger if I let my guard down. Every single person who does field work at my job has been bit.

I have had the oh he doesn't bite smug shit while working and against my better judgement I turned my back and immediately ended up with multiple puncture wounds on my leg. I'll spare you my rant about how irritating home surgery is with hot water and CA glue.

I'm with you that loose dogs shouldn't be on a disc golf course. But I would recommend professional treatment for a dog bite, lol.

If you are that concerned about being around dogs that just the thought makes you think of violence, maybe you shouldn't be in public parks. I have rarely seen a loose dog at my home course, but have been fortunate enough that the ones i see are friendly and always up for a pat on the head.

I use an 8 or 10' leash and a carabiner, just a small one so I can hook it on my belt and the long leashes go around a tree and can beener to themselves. My dog doesn't drag the bag too far usually.. haha

I'm with you that loose dogs shouldn't be on a disc golf course. But I would recommend professional treatment for a dog bite, lol.

If you are that concerned about being around dogs that just the thought makes you think of violence, maybe you shouldn't be in public parks. I have rarely seen a loose dog at my home course, but have been fortunate enough that the ones i see are friendly and always up for a pat on the head.
Professional treatment has a 4 digit price. Super glue is 3 dollars a bottle and hot water and pain are free.

Please be mindful and don't get complacent.

Does anybody read the post all the way through? I'm obviously asking how to keep him on leash so I can throw - "but I don't want to be that guy with the loose annoying dog on the course".
Thanks anyway......
I don't think they were trying insinuate that that was your plan. It's likely just an instinctual reaction because of how painfully often someone thinks their dog is special when taken to the DG course. Two weeks in a row I've had to deal with it on different courses where I live. The first time I was bit multiple times, which were playful bites, but annoying and could have been an issue if I were with children. Have just started resorting to being blunt and telling them to leash their dogs. The ladt time didn't go well and i ended up threatening to call the animal control line for the police. Made the guy mad, but I just said, "I asked you nicely to leash your dog, and you aggressively refused. I was bit by a different unleashed dog on the course just last week and you clearly don't have total recall on your dog. Plus, we've already told you that we are playing with a leashed dog that is not enjoying your dog harassing us." Guy walked off cursing me out, but I noticed later his dog was on a leash.

So try not to take it personally.

That being said, my buddy uses a climbing grade carabiner on the loop of his leash. He can quickly wrap it around trees, benches, tee signs, posts, etc. and click it to the leash. It works well when needed, though she is usually chill anyway. It's just that she's deaf so verbal recall isn't a thing for her.

Latest posts