• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Epically awsome rule

pmorgan1214

Eagle Member
I was reading the rule book at work because i am bored and came acrossed this rule and thought it was awsome.

D.If the thrown disc breaks into pieces, the largest piece is deemed to be the thrown disc.

I have never seen a disc break into pieces before but that would be awsome to see and have that rule come into play.

Has anyone seen a disc break into multiple pieces.

Dunno man, awesome would probably not be the first thought that came to mind if my disc exploded in an event...

the question is, if the big piece is considered the disc. can you throw it on the next hole?

Never had a disc shatter on me, but I have seen it happen. Definitely not awesome, though. These days, the discs that will break are the ones that are older and typically well used, and thus important to the player who threw it. Haven't ever seen a brand new disc shatter on impact no matter how cold the weather was.

No.

801.02 Discs Used in Play

C. A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal.

but when you started the round it wasnt. how is it considered the disc, if its illegal? do you get penalized then if you put the broken pieces in your bag?

but when you started the round it wasnt. how is it considered the disc, if its illegal? do you get penalized then if you put the broken pieces in your bag?
No, that rule was eliminated. You have to throw the disc for it to count against you. So now you can even carry unmarked discs just as long as you don't throw them.

E. A player who throws an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

Last edited:
It's my pleasure to do the research and comprehension for you. :D

Better hope your "epic awesome" (epic is already the adjective form of epic :wall:) ace run doesn't result in the largest frag going sideways and falling out of the basket. Then it's the world's worst feeling two. Lose a disc and the ace. :(

Having it break and result in an ace would be ok in my book, as my two ace discs are now wallhangers anyway.

I was reading the rule book at work because i am bored and came acrossed this rule and thought it was awsome.

D.If the thrown disc breaks into pieces, the largest piece is deemed to be the thrown disc.

I have never seen a disc break into pieces before but that would be awsome to see and have that rule come into play.

Has anyone seen a disc break into multiple pieces.
It used to happen all the time. I remember having a four disc bag and watching my $$$ Roc explode like it was hit by a shotgun a couple of holes after I split my $$$ Cyclone in half; had to finish the round with a Magnet and an X-Clone. :\

Innova was usually easy because they would shatter and you usually could find the "big piece." Discraft Tourney Pro plastic would split so you would have two basically identical sized halves.

It used to happen all the time. I remember having a four disc bag and watching my $$$ Roc explode like it was hit by a shotgun a couple of holes after I split my $$$ Cyclone in half; had to finish the round with a Magnet and an X-Clone. :\

Innova was usually easy because they would shatter and you usually could find the "big piece." Discraft Tourney Pro plastic would split so you would have two basically identical sized halves.

that would suck. im used to all this new plastic. star, champ.

Latest posts