• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever caught someone with your disc?

Yesterday was the very first time I ever went "disc diving" and this is my story:

Sunday (3 days ago) I lost a Beast in a water hole at a nearby course. Yesterday (Tuesday) I had some time, so I put on my trunks intending to find my lost disc. As I arrived, 2 guys were there wading to find discs at a water hole nearby. They told me they'd found 30-50 discs all month in the same spot. One even gave me one that was too light for him and he also found my friend's disc that was also lost Sunday. Anyway, I wonder if they ever return the ones with #s or attempt to call the owners. I should've asked...

After slushing around in mud and around broken limbs for a while I found a total of 10 discs. After finding my 7th disc or so, a guy came by and said, hey I lost my blue disc last week, let me know if you find it. He went on to the next hole & I found a blue Innova Eagle, and I hollered at him. He came over & I gave him the disk...he says that was probably it because it was like the ones he threw. It was only his 2nd time playing. He even gave me his business card!

So of the 9 I brought home, 4 of them had names & phone #s. One is a PDGA from NJ who has not returned my call. The other 3 were so glad I found their disks. I have arranged to get the disks back to them within the week. The others had no name or # except for one, the # is faded & just has a name...also one has initials...but what good does that do?

I hope to find more discs hopefully without the incentive to find my own!! If I find discs with names, Phone #s, or DGCR/PDGA #s, I will certainly PAY IT FORWARD. I'd expect the same courtesy if my lost discs are found. Even though it's hard work getting the discs out of water, it certain is a right & good feeling to help someone out & create another DG friend.

Those out there with other motives or have no courtesy towards others need to rethink their selfishness. Always do the good you can, to all you can, no matter what. That is an American standard that doesn't need eroding.
I'm going to need you to come out to Coyote Point DGC. There's plenty in the lake you can help get back home.

One time my buddy lost his disc about a week later we spotted a kid we knew with it walking back to the parking lot.... So we all confronted him... My friend simply asked for his disc back... still had his name on it. The other kid just tried to lie about it.... Things kinda got a little heated well, This kid out of no where decides hes gonna pull a pocket knife and fight for this disc.... The most ridiculous thing I have ever seen..... Anyways my buddy laughs at him and literally kicks the knife out of his hand grabs his disc and we all walked away..... When we see that kid still to this day definatly call him out for that day.... Just thought i would share I would give anything to have a picture of my buddy kicking the knifer out of his hand..... unreal

I buy old discs and put other peoples name on them and throw them in the shallow areas of the water hazards we have just to watch folks scratch their heads and say...

"That ain't my disc... never owned a Jaguaur! WTF? Seriously!"

I ran into some barneys when I was playing by myself one day. They asked if I could help them out and I said sure. We played for about 4 holes and came to a hole where I had lost one of my favorite midranges, a year earlier. I threw my drive and one of the rumps went to the tee. He had the midrange in his hand, on the same freaking hole that I had lost it on. I recognized it immediately and asked him to see it. He handed it to me and I flipped it over and showed him my information. He was silent. I asked him if he knew how to use a phone. He remained silent. I told him that he should really consider doing the right thing next time, because it's terribly easy to saddle yourself with a bad reputation, being that we are a small community.

I once lost an Innova Eagle in a pond (actually, my friend I let borrow it did) and there is a guy at that course who goes into the pond with snorkel gear and fishes the discs out. He charges you a buck to get it back, or he sells it for five bucks to others. For swimming in that rotten pond and getting my disc, I thought he deserved more than a buck, so I let him keep it.

Another time, however-this time with a dyed champion eagle, I lost a disc on a hole that I really shouldn't have lost it on. Later I saw a guy with it and said, "Sweet disc, where did you get that?" He said, "Oh, I found it." So I said, "Really, because I lost one here that looked exactly like that dye pattern." And he quickly said, "I didn't find it here, sorry." Then they just left. I just let it go though, no sense it getting worked up.

If I find a disc with no info, I pocket the disc. If I see info, I do my best to contact them. Good motto for life.

There was a guy who went into the ponds at Tom Bass after Pro Worlds years ago and he ended up in the hospital with some kind of infection or bacteria of the liver?

I would not suggest going into stagnant ponds.

If I find discs with no contact info on them, I give them to barneys.

If I find discs with no contact info on them, I give them to barneys.

What are barneys? Noobs? Scottish terriers? Sheriff's Deputies with one bullet in their pocket?

Barneys are, according to Hoyle, a group of Gypsies that scour the countryside looking to take advantage of underage drinkers and their plastic goods. They use whatever means they have at their disposal to 'Grift' their bags, discs, hookahs, etc. from simple-minded teens. Its especially terrible here in the Mid-West. Awful I tell you...

Latest posts