• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fade Gear Weatherguard Straps vs Phenix Quad Shocks

elreyfowler

I am looking to buy one of these backpack straps and would like to hear some feedback from users. These will be going on a Fade Gear Tourney bag.
Thanks

I *JUST* got the Quad Shocks for my Face bag and I really like them. I've never used any other quad straps of any kind so I have no point of referance, FYI. Just throwing out that they are comfy and super easy to cart my bag around even slung on just one shoulder.

I really like the Fade straps. Used the rain fly during an ice bowl (rain bowl) and it did great.
You can detach the rain fly and have an extra pouch during better weather.

I remember looking at a buddy's Quad Shock and thinking the four elastic straps on each end didn't look quite as beefy as the Quad Shocks, but seem beefy enough to me. Time will tell.

I have both. I've had the Fade straps since shortly after they hit the market (late 2009), having played somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 or so rounds with them, and they've held up great, much better than my Fade bags, for what its worth. I received a set of Phenix Quads for volunteering for a week at the USDGC and Presidents Cup this past fall, so I haven't had them as long.

Some differences between the two that I've noticed are that the Fade ones have a little bit longer range of adjustment for the straps, and seem to sit a little higher on your back than the Quads. I honestly can't tell any difference in comfort between the two. I've also used Innova Backsavers, which I found to not be as comfortable as either the Fade straps or the Quads, due to the lack of elastic in the straps.

The only issue, and a very minor one, that I've had with the Fade straps is that the rear adjustments slipped a little at first, but this was easily remedied by a knot. It could also easily be fixed by a strategically placed rubber band. None of my friends who also have the Fade straps have had this issue, though.

The only issue I've had with the Phenix Quads is that the carabiners they came with were terrible. One of them only lasted about a month before it's spring broke and it wouldn't stay closed. This was easily remedied by spending $4 on new carabiners.

The rainfly on the Fade straps is really cool, and works quite well. I'm a little surprised this hasn't been done before. I'm a little surprised that all straps don't have some availability of a similar feature. It just makes so much sense.

Phenix Quads make me feel like Sheen.

46a1efb5_8899_e575.jpg

The Phenix Shocks to me are more comfortable than any of the others Ive tried out, including the Fade shocks. The Phenix seem to just be a little sturdier and feel like they have a little more form to the straps, as opposed to the Fade straps feeling much flimsier on my shoulders. My personal preference is for the structure of Phenix

I tried on the Gelz, Innova, Quads, and Fades at a store with an empty bag and Quads felt the nicest, even though the bag was empty.

I've never regretted them and wear them on any bag I take out, big or small.

If you're talking about the FadeGear straps with the "bag rain jacket" in the straps, don't get them. The little pouch is great for carrying a golden retriever and keeping the pond/stream/lake nastiness outa your bag, but as for the rain bag-hoody itself, it seemed like a pain. i have a friend that has these. good straps none-the-less, and their bags are great for the price, but the rain bag-hoody was a miss on their part if you ask me. great idea, i just think that it could have been designed better. a hassle to deal with, it was.

get the quads.

I got the Quads the same day my friend got the Fades. The rainfly is pretty trick, but before we started playing, you could just see the difference in quality/materials. He was bragging that his "shocks" had more spring, and would be more comfortable.

He was right. They had more spring, and after two rounds, two of the lastimers had started ripping.

He contacted Fade, and to their credit, they said they had a few bad ones slip through and replaced them immediately. No problems with the new ones... Yet.

The Quads are just the standard. Side by side with the other sets I've seen, it's a no brainer. I love the way the straps hold their shape, letting you slip them on without them twisting up.

I couldn't be happier with mine. Get the Quads!

Get "Brown Tool Belt Suspenders"

They are AMAZING!!! feel and look almost exactly like the $45 DGA straps, but they cost $25 either at Amazon, Home Depot, or Lowes. I got mine on sale for $18 at Home Depot last year

tool

Get "Brown Tool Belt Suspenders"

They are AMAZING!!! feel and look almost exactly like the $45 DGA straps, but they cost $25 either at Amazon, Home Depot, or Lowes. I got mine on sale for $18 at Home Depot last year

I dont think Lowes sells these. They are not on their website and I called 2 stores a couple of weeks ago looking for them. Some Home Depots carry them and some dont. I bought some at Home Depot and I bought the Quad Shocks. The Brown Bags were more comfortable by the smallest of margins but I got the Quads because they look better with my bag than the Brown Bags do. The Brown Bags are nice though.

I got mine on sale for $18 at Home Depot last year

ARGH! I paid $20 and thought I was the winner for lowest price paid for them lol.

On another note: If you buy the Toolriders, make sure they're the GSX variety with metal carabiner style clasps and not the GS style that has alligator clips (should be common sense in person, but helpful for those ordering online maybe?).

ARGH! I paid $20 and thought I was the winner for lowest price paid for them lol.

On another note: If you buy the Toolriders, make sure they're the GSX variety with metal carabiner style clasps and not the GS style that has alligator clips (should be common sense in person, but helpful for those ordering online maybe?).

BTW they are $30 at Home Depot right now.