• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairway distances ending in 8?

cad77

Premium Member
I just played a new course where every fairway distance ended with the number eight. The tee signs were by HouckDesign, although the course design was not.

I have run into this weird phenomenon before, at Johnny Sias designed courses. What is the significance of having fairways ending in eight?

8 is lucky and wealth in Chinese culture. Culture things get shared. My bet is that bled into the endings in 8.

OK, so that might explain why all of the courses Johnny designs have fairways ending in eights, but I don't think he had anything to do with the new course in south Columbus.

Chuck, have you seen this anywhere else, other than JS designs? It seems kind of odd to me.

OK, so that might explain why all of the courses Johnny designs have fairways ending in eights, but I don't think he had anything to do with the new course in south Columbus.

Chuck, have you seen this anywhere else, other than JS designs? It seems kind of odd to me.
I'll bet JS did have something to do with it. He's good buddies with Kenny Rollins, one of the course designers and movers & shakers in the Columbus area. It wouldn't surprise me if Ken did the design with Johnny's assistance. But we would need to find out for sure.

I've met Ken, and played a bunch of his courses. That explains why Johnny has several sponsored holes on Ken's designs in north central Ohio. Neither Ken nor Johnny are listed as designers of Scioto Grove DGC, though. DGCR shows Phillip R Andrick and Ben Shyrigh as the designers.

The one day I got to play (five rounds of 13) with Johnny Sias, I asked him about the "8's". He said it was just a habit/good luck charm. He said his first several tournament wins were by eight strokes, so he decided that it's his lucky number.

...I also tell everyone the actual story of that day: I saw him play a course new to him, hilly and wooded, and he threw 63 out of 65 clean tee shots. He only ever touched one of those trees on a hole where he hadn't seen the third tree blind from the tee. The guy has not only built some cool courses, he has some West Virginia woods SKILLS!

Latest posts