• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairway driver choices???

Tee birds, eagles, fd. Pd's are my work horse driver. Love p line or low weight sline pd to hyzer flip or max wgt for slightly over stable. Anyway there are lots of great fairways I would experiment with a few

I am sold on the T-bird, my buddy hounded me about getting one, 3rd throw with it I got an ace...Now I will never go without one, not just because of the ace, but it is predictable for me, RHBH, and i can turn it over or keep the natural fade, go with the tbird!

My old lineup used to be DX Teebird, Star Eagle, Champ Teebird (in order of stability). The beat DX teebird was dead nuts straight, the Eagle is better at working lines, and the Champ teebird finished strongly to the left after a straight flight, and was overstable enough to use on a windy day. However, the Volt is probably going to kick the Champ Teebird out of my bag. It's a little longer, but flies a similar path and frankly I just trust it more.

Viking is still being made and is my go-to distance driver (speed 9). Good thread on the Viking here: http://is.gd/bg7v3q

I've been using the Zombee Ace Race disc as my fairway driver with some good results. It's a pretty predictable flier.

That being said, I'm probably going to pick up a DX Teebird this weekend. :D
Thanks for the info!

Like many others, i prefer innovas classic fairways: Leo, teebird, eagle

don't get a champ TL... i don't need more people grabbing all of the good ones.

Try a 170 C PD (or wait for reports on the stag) for FH, it should fly straight, be very stable and predictable, and go far for you.

I'll chime in here:

I started with the standard Innova setup of TeeBird/TL, but only after messing around with a bunch of other Innova plastic. When I discovered the Lat64 River, I dropped the TL for a TeeBird/River combo. Never got to throw the Saint, because by the time it was out I was on to Discmania's PD's. In several stages of wear and in different plastics, they were money. When MVP came out with drivers, though, that all changed. And here I'll have to agree with AndyJB and BigSky, MVP's drivers are hands down the best combo I've played with. The kind of reliable, workable lines possible are more than staggering (har har). In fact, I'm throwing farther with greater accuracy with MVP's drivers than I ever did with distance drivers.

To be perfectly frank, however, I'm pretty sure you're just gonna have to pick somewhere to start and go with it. Most manufacturers offer excellent choices, and they're all gonna have fans.

Jesus there are so many good choices. I like to carry 2 to 3 fairway molds. I usually carry a Discraft Tracker in Elite Z and a Discmania FD Jackal in C-Line. Sometimes, I will add in a Latitude 64 Trident in Opto for kicks and control.

Just pick one that is moderately overstable, and one that is moderately understable, then learn the **** out of those 2 discs. I've used to try and find the "perfect" lineup for fairways and kept switching discs in and out of my bag. Its fun, but doesn't really improve your score any. Settle on 2 discs that to 2 different lines and learn them.

I've tried a Whippet, Trident, Banshee, Blaze, Tracker, Teebird, Cyclone, Eagle, Volt, Scout, FD Jackal, Dragon, Cheetah, River, and a Leopard. All great discs, and there are many more. Pick 2-3 and go nuts.

Also, can't believe that noone has pointed out that the Valkyrie, Starfire, and Viking aren't Fairway Drivers, they're low speed distance drivers.

Overstable fairway, I recommend a Westside Stag, my new favorite disc. Understable fairway, that's all up to personal preference, probably a Leopard or something, those are notoriously easy to throw.

I was wondering the same thing!

The term fairway driver has always referred to the distance drivers of years past. Only in the past few years have new discs debuted as fairways. When I started playing TBs, FBs, and EXs were all distance drivers.

Appreciate the Wisdom!

The term fairway driver has always referred to the distance drivers of years past. Only in the past few years have new discs debuted as fairways. When I started playing TBs, FBs, and EXs were all distance drivers.

Thanks for the info!

Latest posts