• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fallen Trees - Wooded Fairway

Mocheez

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
What's the general opinion on the removal of fallen trees in the woods? I personally like to leave them where they are, provided there is a safe/easy way to navigate around them. They add a rustic, natural feel to the course and additional challenge on upshot's / putts.

5EA7558C-7D6A-455E-AB22-0DEA7A7C2F5C.jpeg

if its a wilderness style course i can appreciate it and extra points if it serves as erosion control

if its a polished park course get that chit outta here

I like what they do at New Quarter Park in Williamsburg, Va. If a tree drops in a wooded fairway, they chainsaw the branches off and cut a pathway to walk thru, and for those with carts. Trees that fall in the open fairway get removed, the fairways are kept mowed. The photos are two of my favorite holes.

Left- No. 14 had a handful of trees drop across the fairway from a tropical storm more than three years ago, you can see where they carved a pathway thru the trees. Theirs the one tree leaning to the left safely lodged, there were a few others leaning with it, but eventually started dislodging so they were brought down. That lone tree makes a great guardian to the long pin position which "used" to be an easy birdie if hitting the gap. I've hit the leaning tree a few times. The basket has a fallen tree in front of it in C1 to keep your disc from sliding in.

Middle/Right- No. 16 easy to see the pathway from the tee. On the right, in the bottom of the ravine you can see the short pin cover. Up the hill the basket is placed in the long pin, you can see some fallen trees giving some C1 protection stripped, and a pathway cut thru.

Every wooded fairway has fallen trees stripped and cut thru. I think it makes the course more scenic, and like how New Quarter Park leaves the trees as they lay.

Attachments

• PIC_2548.JPG
    PIC_2548.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC_2549.JPG
    PIC_2549.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC_2550.JPG
    PIC_2550.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts