• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Drivers

Luigispice

Just wondering what everyone plays and why they like it?

I like the Viper on windy days due to its weight.

And my Eagle has served me well on regular days.

Thoughts?

I tend to use a Starfire most of the time, Wraith on occasion. If I'm throwing upwind I'll usually pull out my T-Rex.

I still have a Viper in my bag but tend to use it more as my "beater" driver.

I'm guessing you're asking if I notice a difference between the Wraith and the Starfire? I actually do to some degree. I find the Wraith less forgiving if you have a bad shot or one without enough spin to keep the disc going straight. It likes to go hard left if you don't put enough into the throw (at least for me). My Starfires always do a nice S-curve. So I usually use the Wraith when I either want to go left or I don't have room for the "S". The T-Rex is just a heavier wind driver, nothing too exciting.

I'm sure someone else could explain the differences between the Wraith/Starfire better than me. I can't say that I'm good enough to tell or explain what makes them actually different, I can just comment on how they work for me.

My driver setup works great for me in any situation.

My Z pred gets most throws. Its my option whenever the hyzer is open.
Then my XL's for straight and annys.
The SOLF for huge bombs, straighter and more predictable than any other big D driver.
and an OLS for big hyzerflips, rollers ect.

Take caution though what works for one person dosnt work for everyone. Dont throw drivers that are too fast for you to handle (like timg mentioned about the wraith and if you dont get enough on it it wont fly right)

SOLF and OLS?

Also, I may have to try some of your disc choices to see how they are. Have you thrown Wraiths/Starfires? If so, how would you compare say the Z-pred vs. the Starfire or the XL vs. the Wraith. Seems we use those for similar purposes.

do you throw champ/star starfires, or star sl/ pro starfire. they are different molds.

The champ starfire is stable to overstable and would be longer than a predator, while the pred will hold a more consistant hyzer line. if you ever frequent other forums, theres kidna a standard driver setup we use at discgolfreview.com to evaulate and setup bags.

1 overstable driver (Z pred fits here)
2 Moderately overstable driver (Star/Champ Starfire fit here)
3 Max D driver (wraith fits here, so would SL or pro starfire)
4 Control Driver (my XL is here, its much slower and not as long as a wraith slower = more accurate and controlable)
5 Understable driver

The understable driver can be a beat up version of your control driver or your max D driver. The mod overstable can be a beat up version of your very overstable (I use broken in X preds).

The orion would be used more like your wraith, while you seem to be missing a slower driver you can control better.

Oh and SOLF and OLS are the Orion molds from millenium The SOLF is a Sirus (star plastic) Orion Long Fade, while the OLS (Innova Pro plastic) is a ORion Long Straight, which is a fairly understable distance driver.

I actually throw pro discs. It's true my bag isn't quite as fleshed out as it could be with the various drivers. I do need an overstable driver so I may check out the Z-pred. My pro starfire tends to be my "go to" disc for most situations and so far it has served me well. Although like I said, I may not be good enough to notice the subtle differences between discs.

I actually have an OLS although I didn't like it much. I also bought one of those Aerobie Epic things a long time ago, what a mistake that was! :)

yeah, the wraith and pro starfire fly just about the same, unless you dont have the consistant power to fly the wraith right. If you get a Champ Starfire they are a good stable driver, however you may want to try a SOLF. I found the OLS to be similar to your pro starfire, but less stable to start w/. A SOLF would allow you to throw almost as far as you do w/ the pro starfire, with a more predictable line.

On a seperate note, innova can no longer make pro plastic and are planning on discontinuing it. There will be no new pro disc run in about a year. :(
If you ever want a alternative to the pro starfire, an X avenger is a bit more stable, and broken in still fly great, while i found the starfire to get a bit tougher to contro.

I'm not too bummed about the pro plastic thing as I really only bought it since it was cheaper. I didn't know the molds were actually different between plastics too.

I'll have to look into the SOLF and probably a Z-pred as well. I'll keep the X-avenger in mind if I need to replace the Starfire at some point too. I just got a brand new one and have a backup in the car should anything happen to it. I have noticed what you said about broken-in Starfires being tough to control. I had a couple that just got too unpredictable after a while and had to retire them.

For a tournament last year I ordered some of the Innova Ace. I love them. I now carry 5 of them.

My Star TeeRex is my favorite driver in the bag right now. I love to launch it side arm or back hand. My wraith used to be my fav but it's beat up and a little to flippy now, need to get another one.

I like the Pro Wraith for anything longer than I can throw or for big anhyzers, or a Star TeeRex for shots where a turnover to the right would be a disaster. I also tend to the TeeRex for forehand shots, since an error with a Wraith will almost always turn it over.

That said, I did have some luck with the StarMax as a forehand driver for a very specific kinda shot. It's so fast and overstable, that you can muscle it as hard as you want, and it'll still come back. So on a big, wide open drive where I really want the fade to come back right, I'll crank on a StarMax like it was a baseball throw from deep left field, watch it turn over like it's going to roll, and almost every single time it'll flatten out, glide a little, and start fading fast.

But those are all for throws where the landing is out at the limits of what I can throw. For a lot of folks, when they're talking about their favorite driver, it's the first one that you back down to. For those, I love my Orcs, great distance and glide, more control than the speed 11 animals. I've also been playing around lately with a Pro Beast that's been in my bag for about a year, I'm kinda getting the hang of throwing it hyzer and having it make the double-S turn in flight. It's real purdy :)

Star wraith and champion teebird are the go-to's. Venoms for forehands, star sidewinder for turnovers and rollers, Star Teerex for something a little more overstable.

I'm still learning, but I use all Champion Innova Plastics with a Roadrunner When I need an understable driver, a Beast for a more straight throw, and a Discraft first run Breeze for a more over stable driver. As my throws get better, I may change, but this seems to work for now. I don't see why you would need any more except for backup.

I used to carry about 15-20 discs in my bag during tournaments 'just in case'. But I have severely cut it down to about 10 or so. My go-to driver is a Championship Eagle. Almost all of my mid-range shots I use a champion spider. That disc will do just about anything I want, I keep a leapord in my bag just in case, and a pro firebird for hammers and thumbers. I have a light putter and a heavy putter for various up shots. Most of my discs are light 148-168.

my favs are a 175 star max,star 175 FL, for long annys star 175 destroyer and a star 175 sidewinder.

I use a Discraft Surge ESP for long strait drives and going in to the wind, a Star TeeBird for a mid distance driver, and a worn down Campion KC Pro TeeBird for drives with lots of leaves on the ground. I used to use a Champion Monster for water shots, but then it decided to go for a swim, and I didn't want to follow it. (the lake was once one of Georgia's dirtiest lakes)

For years I threw Crushes, I carried four in various levels of beat. Took them out, now I'm goofing around with Predators. I'm going light on the weight and having a lot of fun seeing them cut 'S' and hyzer lines I'd seen and wanted to try. For long straight lines I'm really liking the Pulse - say what you may, I love the thumb track. Every once in a while I huk a Z Surge, I like the understable front half then its slight natural fade (rhbh) at the end.

Latest posts