• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

favorite 'tweener' discs?

fairweather_fan

Eagle Member
here's a thread to rep your favorite discs that seem to fit between two of the generally accepted disc classes (putter, mid, f'way, distance).

got a low-profile putter, a small diameter/fast mid, or a nicely controllable driver in the speed 9 to 11 range (for example)? post 'em up, and let us know a) what makes it a 'tweener' in your estimation, and b) how you use it on the course.

**i couldn't find a thread that covered this ground, so apologies in advance if it's prerube-able**

to start it off, i rock a lightweight champ panther in my bag at all times. it's a 'tweener' for me because i can get roc-like distance (275-290' for me) from a 75-80% toss, or i can put a bit more behind it and get it out over 300'.

on the course i use it in a wide variety of situations: as a driver on holes where i'd be putting 90%+ on a roc to get it there, or backing off a TB more than i'd like; on shots where i have a limited run-up or arm motion available, but need to get a 200-250' or so flight with a lower ceiling; and in all sorts of 'touch' and utility shot situations.

I might say my Meteor. Is it a midrangs? Yep. Is it a driver? Kind of. It does best as a midrange for though accuracy/touch shots around 200 feet or so. However you can also hyzer flip it out there for some good distance.

If you're meaning a fast mid, I'm an Element fan. But the Impact and Skeeter ain't too bad either. Never liked the Shark though.

I've used my Fuse as my tweener disc b/c I can get it to hold a anny line longer than most of fairway drivers, that was until I got my river. Now the river is my loong anny disc and my Fuse is my fairway and midrange disc.

the gremlin is the ultimate tweener.

:thmbup: The Vegan would be proud of that!!

Gremlin is a fast mid and mega utility disc. Throw it with snap and it will fly straight and far, throw it with less snap it will fade hard, you can anny it, you can hyzer it...it is pretty much dead ass stable.

Its a gem.

It's an old Innova disc that Discmania has taken over (GM). I found an S-Line Gremlin with a price tag still on it and no name or number last summer and it has been in my bag ever since. It's very comfortable in my hand even though it has a small rim, and it holds different lines well.

This might be a little confusing but here we go...

Comet - For me the Comet is a hybrid that's like 60% mid 40% driver doesn't take a whole lot to throw but it goes and goes and goes. A lot more glide than my other mids(Buzzz/Hornet)

Stalker - If the Comet is 60/40 mid/fairway the Stalker is pretty close to the opposite. Probably more like 70% driver though. But yeah blah blah blah Stalker is a faster longer buzzz, just like they market it.

I dont think Im really carrying any tweeners at the moment unless maybe if you are talking about speed 9s as the Pred being between fairwat and distance maybe.

Ones that I have liked that I thought of as tweeners are Panther, Impact, Blaze, Whippet were all pretty decent but the one I really liked that just didnt make the bag is the Medius. It doesnt seem to get much love but I suppose that it, along with other tweeners; suffer for the same reason they didnt make my bag. I just didnt feel I really needed them.

keep 'em coming!

the one I really liked that just didnt make the bag is the Medius. It doesnt seem to get much love but I suppose that it, along with other tweeners; suffer for the same reason they didnt make my bag. I just didnt feel I really needed them.

your last statement brings up a perhaps interesting and valid theoretical point- does a well rounded bag 'need' a tweener or two to cover gaps, or should superior players (or at least folks no longer in the learning stages) have the skills required to bridge those small gaps with their bread and butter discs?

My Roadrunner was my tweener, Now I play with my River. I mean throw, I mean shoot, Oh whatever.

In some ways the buzzz fills as a tweener disc for me. I'll use it occasionally to 320' but will also use it if the situation is right under 100'. It really fills a ton of roles for me. From short mid to fairway I feel comfortable using it.

keep 'em coming!

your last statement brings up a perhaps interesting and valid theoretical point- does a well rounded bag 'need' a tweener or two to cover gaps, or should superior players (or at least folks no longer in the learning stages) have the skills required to bridge those small gaps with their bread and butter discs?

Well, you gotta look at your bag as a whole I guess.

I think the mids I carry are faster mids and probably just not quite "tweeners" and still just mids, like the Fuse and the Hornet, to where the Medius just isnt neccessary.

Add that to the fact that my River can be backed off on quite a bit and still fly very well, or how Im not affraid to use my Pred for overstable duties at shorter distances and the gaps just kind of close.

Now there might be a situation to where there would be that very small gap that I cant ideally just finesse a faster disc and cant reach it with my mids, but its just not all that common.