• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fewest Number of Discs to Win Tournament

ShoopDaGoose

I hope to tell this as a story one day for doing it myself, but I'd like to ask if anyone has seen or heard about player winning an event with a small selection of discs...?

Or

What would be the smallest line-up in your bag to win an event at your favorite local course? (assuming you are playing your best)

For me it would be:
Innova Ape (champion)- something wicked overstable I can crank on (mostly)forehand and backhand
Vibram Lace (medium) - for straight-ish distance
Gateway Scout (evolution) - for control/versatile shots
Vibram Ridge (medium) - short drives/upshots and putting (which, for its ease of use, kicks out my buttery goodness that is my organic voodoos. mmmmm....)

There is a hall of famer here that used to win on the reg with 3-4 discs total. Dan Ginnelly

Depending on the field, I am certain that some top pros, especially Paul McBeth, could win Open events with just 3-4 discs.

^There you go.

I'm pretty sure John Brooks used to carry just 3 or 4, and I'm guessing he won that way -- mid 90s.

I don't win, with any number of discs.

But long ago, I lost in Advanced to a guy who only carried 3 discs in his hands. He won a bag, which was marvellously ironic.

There is a hall of famer here that used to win on the reg with 3-4 discs total. Dan Ginnelly

To further elaborate; I saw him win Open once with a Surge, an XL, a Super Puppy, and a Challenger. That's it.

He still beats up on me pretty regularly with the same setup.

Fewest discs I've had in the bag for a tourney win: 4. Three putters and a mid. It was on an old Steady Ed original course, so drivers were unnecessary. The mid was almost unnecessary, but there was one hole over 300 that I wanted to use it on.

I've also won a Trilogy Challenge with a score that would have been rated over 1000 in a PDGA event.

Bottom line is it's not how many discs you carry, it's how well you throw them. Pretty much any good player should be able to put up competitive scores with only one or two discs.

Sarah Cunningham is currently playing worlds and is only using a small innova starter bag with a handful of discs

@ian. re: your avatar, did you see my t-shirt design from a couple years ago?

duckhunt8.jpg

I hope to tell this as a story one day for doing it myself, but I'd like to ask if anyone has seen or heard about player winning an event with a small selection of discs...?

I hear that Ron Russell beat Ken Climo at Worlds throwing Magnets, Comets, and Cyclones.

I got 2nd to someone using a nutsac, the small one. He never had to think about what disc he was going to throw.

Depending on the field, I am certain that some top pros, especially Paul McBeth, could win Open events with just 3-4 discs.

^There you go.

Yup

1 McPro Aviar
1-2 Roc3
1 Thunderbird
1 Destroyer

With the way Paul can hit putts he doesnt need the Destroyer to at least keep up

Yup

1 McPro Aviar
1-2 Roc3
1 Thunderbird
1 Destroyer

With the way Paul can hit putts he doesnt need the Destroyer to at least keep up

He's casual battle of the eras round at Dela after masters cup would have been good enough to compete in the tournment. He was throwing rhynos, condors, a ram, and some other random old slow driver.

He's casual battle of the eras round at Dela after masters cup would have been good enough to compete in the tournment. He was throwing rhynos, condors, a ram, and some other random old slow driver.

I guarantee that Paul could beat just about everyone on this site with just a putter he feels comfortable throwing off the tee....

What would be the smallest line-up in your bag to win an event at your favorite local course? (assuming you are playing your best)

For me it would be:
Innova Ape (champion)- something wicked overstable I can crank on (mostly)forehand and backhand
Vibram Lace (medium) - for straight-ish distance
Gateway Scout (evolution) - for control/versatile shots
Vibram Ridge (medium) - short drives/upshots and putting (which, for its ease of use, kicks out my buttery goodness that is my organic voodoos. mmmmm....)

How could anyone know this without actually winning an event with the small number of discs? Did you win with your selection or are you just speculating as to the smallest number of discs that you could reliably shoot a good round?

I hear that Ron Russell beat Ken Climo at Worlds throwing Magnets, Comets, and Cyclones.

Yep. I think we have to keep in mind there were way fewer molds back in the day, at least molds people were throwing.

Latest posts